The Student Room Group

Is the University of Gloucestershire okay for History BA

I am applying to do a History BA 2024 and am now looking at what university I would like to study at. Personally, I would like to study at Gloucestershire as they do the modules I like, it isn't too far from home, the accommodation seems good and affordable and the area around the campus seems nice. However, when I mention this to anyone they seem to think that going there will be awful and that the course really isn't that good. Would it be okay if I went there despite this? Is an open day worth it?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by caroline138
I am applying to do a History BA 2024 and am now looking at what university I would like to study at. Personally, I would like to study at Gloucestershire as they do the modules I like, it isn't too far from home, the accommodation seems good and affordable and the area around the campus seems nice. However, when I mention this to anyone they seem to think that going there will be awful and that the course really isn't that good. Would it be okay if I went there despite this? Is an open day worth it?

What's your aim in studying history? Where else are you considering?
Reply 2
I would like to go into teaching. Maybe doing a masters beforehand, thought. I have also applied to Exeter, Kent, West England, Bath Spa.
I would like to go into teaching. Maybe doing a masters beforehand, thought. I have also applied to Exeter, Kent, West England, Bath Spa.

Gloucestershire isn't particularly renowned for its history course, but from the perspective of becoming a teacher the university you attend won't make a huge amount of difference. It could limit your options in getting onto an MA, but achieving a good 2.1 should get you in somewhere.

I've had a quick look at the course and my main criticism would be the relative lack of choice of modules. However, if you like the ones on offer that's less of an issue.
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Gloucestershire isn't particularly renowned for its history course, but from the perspective of becoming a teacher the university you attend won't make a huge amount of difference. It could limit your options in getting onto an MA, but achieving a good 2.1 should get you in somewhere.

I've had a quick look at the course and my main criticism would be the relative lack of choice of modules. However, if you like the ones on offer that's less of an issue.

Thank you so much. I am going to an open day soon so I think I will see what it is like when I get there and then decided when I get my A-level results.
Thank you so much. I am going to an open day soon so I think I will see what it is like when I get there and then decided when I get my A-level results.

Out of interest, are you applying to Exeter's Streatham course or Penryn? If you're applying with achieved results you will be able to target your application much more precisely.
Reply 6
I am applying to Streatham, although I imagine I will able to go if I am offered a contextual offer.
I am applying to Streatham, although I imagine I will able to go if I am offered a contextual offer.

If you're entitled to a contextual,and Exeter like your application, then that's the offer youl will receive. What are your predictions?
Reply 8
My predicted grades are either ABB or BBB as my history teacher hasn't decided yet.
My predicted grades are either ABB or BBB as my history teacher hasn't decided yet.

When you said you will apply when you get your results, did you mean when you got your final predictions?

Exeter is a reasonable choice anyway if you're entitled to a contextual offer. I have a soft spot for Kent because it has a completely free choice of modules, the only limit being that you have to do a dissertation.

Bath Spa's history course is quite unusual in terms of emphasis and content.
Reply 10
Sorry I mean I will make a final decision of where to go when I get my results in August. I'd love to go to Kent but it is quite far from where I live and the accommodation doesn't seem amazing. I am also considering changing West England to Oxford Brookes.
Sorry I mean I will make a final decision of where to go when I get my results in August. I'd love to go to Kent but it is quite far from where I live and the accommodation doesn't seem amazing. I am also considering changing West England to Oxford Brookes.

Well, yes. Before that you'll have to narrow your choices down to a firm and insurance of course.

Any particular reason for the change?
Reply 12
My brother is at West England at the moment and is really not enjoying it. He thinks that I wont either.
My brother is at West England at the moment and is really not enjoying it. He thinks that I wont either.

I suppose that depends on why he's not enjoying UWE and whether those reasons would apply to you. I know someone who thoroughly enjoyed her time there, but she was a mature student doing a postgraduate course - very different to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending