The Student Room Group

Gcse revision feels pointless.

Hey, I am a year 11 GCSE student due to sit exams starting Monday. I've mainly been revising Science since and barley anything else since Computing, French, English are all subjects I can easily prep for the nights before. I've completed my Biology revision based on the AQA 2022 advanced information for combined science and I do remember 90% of what I learnt however I'm just feeling like it's useless and when I sit my exam on Tuesday, It'll be either worded really differently or I'll just forget everything. I'm aiming to go from my last mock grade 5-4 ( Which I did not revise for) to 7-7 and I know I can do. To summarise I am worried that my preparation will be useless and with Maths paper 1 looming over me next Friday (Maths is my weakest subject, got a 5 last mock but I need a 6) Which I have not begun revision for, I'm feeling really hopeless. Does anyone have any advice or revision advice? Mainly for going from a 5 to a 6 or even 7 in maths? (If it helps both my paper 2 and 3 are after a one week Half-term (Paper 2 is in 3 weeks and paper 3 is in 4 weeks). I am aware I probably repeated myself a lot so sorry about that, I hope you can help me and good-luck to anyone sitting exams <3

(My mock grades vs the grades I want if needed)
Eng lang: 5/7
Eng lit: 4/6
Maths: 5/6(7 ideally)
Science: 5-4/7-7
Geo: 5/5
French:5/5
Computing: 5/6
Again thank you so much for sitting through my agonising rant ;-;
(If this is a repost please let me know, I'm not sure if the first one posted correctly)
Hi HyperActiv3

You did really well in your mocks (getting 4/5 which when I was at school was B/C) so is a really good start to GCSEs especially without. The fact you've revised since then means it unlikely you'll do worse (at the very least) as you've continually required that knowledge. It also put you in good stead to do better.

In all honesty, any revision is a good revision. From what you said it sounds very similar to me and looking it back it was unnecessary to worry and I did pretty well.
Original post by HyperActiv3
Hey, I am a year 11 GCSE student due to sit exams starting Monday. I've mainly been revising Science since and barley anything else since Computing, French, English are all subjects I can easily prep for the nights before. I've completed my Biology revision based on the AQA 2022 advanced information for combined science and I do remember 90% of what I learnt however I'm just feeling like it's useless and when I sit my exam on Tuesday, It'll be either worded really differently or I'll just forget everything. I'm aiming to go from my last mock grade 5-4 ( Which I did not revise for) to 7-7 and I know I can do. To summarise I am worried that my preparation will be useless and with Maths paper 1 looming over me next Friday (Maths is my weakest subject, got a 5 last mock but I need a 6) Which I have not begun revision for, I'm feeling really hopeless. Does anyone have any advice or revision advice? Mainly for going from a 5 to a 6 or even 7 in maths? (If it helps both my paper 2 and 3 are after a one week Half-term (Paper 2 is in 3 weeks and paper 3 is in 4 weeks). I am aware I probably repeated myself a lot so sorry about that, I hope you can help me and good-luck to anyone sitting exams <3

(If this is a repost please let me know, I'm not sure if the first one posted correctly)

Use Maths Genie. They have videos that go through problems step-by-step to teach, and then worksheets for practising them. For science, do past papers and look at the mark scheme. If you don't know a topic, use flashcards, a revision guide or an online revision resource. For English (both), practise questions and essays under timed conditions, use videos and ask your teachers for feedback. I don't do GCSE Computing, but I would imagine that you should practice your coding online and do past papers for theory. Good luck.
Original post by BiomedStudent3
Hi HyperActiv3

You did really well in your mocks (getting 4/5 which when I was at school was B/C) so is a really good start to GCSEs especially without. The fact you've revised since then means it unlikely you'll do worse (at the very least) as you've continually required that knowledge. It also put you in good stead to do better.

In all honesty, any revision is a good revision. From what you said it sounds very similar to me and looking it back it was unnecessary to worry and I did pretty well.

thank you so much for your response I really appreciate it! Hopefully I can get through this well
Original post by SagaciousSag
Use Maths Genie. They have videos that go through problems step-by-step to teach, and then worksheets for practising them. For science, do past papers and look at the mark scheme. If you don't know a topic, use flashcards, a revision guide or an online revision resource. For English (both), practise questions and essays under timed conditions, use videos and ask your teachers for feedback. I don't do GCSE Computing, but I would imagine that you should practice your coding online and do past papers for theory. Good luck.

Thank you so much for your advice
Just revise and practice papers. It’s not going to harm you and the point of everything you’re doing at secondary school is literally to get good grades in GCSE exams. What else are you going to do? Revise now so that you’re not stressed or panicking or overthinking in the summer.
Original post by sciencegcsesss
Just revise and practice papers. It’s not going to harm you and the point of everything you’re doing at secondary school is literally to get good grades in GCSE exams. What else are you going to do? Revise now so that you’re not stressed or panicking or overthinking in the summer.

Thank you so much for the advice!!
If you've been doing practice papers you shouldn't be caught totally off guard. There'll be questions you haven't seen before, (there should be at least) but they should be roughly in the style of ones you've done before.

I've always thought the same thing even through university - even if you can do all the past papers there's always that nagging thought "what if the final paper is completely different?". It rarely is completely alien in the end, it's not as if the spec has changed.

Not to nag though, I don't recommend leaving revision for any subject to the nights before unless you already have a very good grasp of the content and are just reviewing. [you can't really revise for English Language though cos usually you've just been doing practice essays through the year]
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by _gcx
If you've been doing practice papers you shouldn't be caught totally off guard. There'll be questions you haven't seen before, (there should be at least) but they should be roughly in the style of ones you've done before.

I've always thought the same thing even through university - even if you can do all the past papers there's always that nagging thought "what if the final paper is completely different?". It rarely is completely alien in the end, it's not as if the spec has changed.

Not to nag though, I don't recommend leaving revision for any subject to the nights before unless you already have a very good grasp of the content and are just reviewing. [you can't really revise for English Language though cos usually you've just been doing practice essays through the year]

Thank you, I’ll do my best I hope it’ll work out I the end!

Heya! I know it's very stressful but don't give up yet! Personally for maths I feel like you need to do lots of past papers and just practice, there's not really any other way around it. If you planning to study maths in the future (or any other subject like bio and chem and etc) , I would recommend finding past papers by topics rather than as a whole and start with those. An example of this would be these free past papers. That way you'll be able to improve your weak subjects and see if you understand particilar topic fully or if there are any missing gaps you need to cover again.
To stay focused and motivated, I do 'power revisions,' in which I study for 1-2 hours without interruption, then take a 25-minute break and resume studying until I reach 4-5 hours of revision time. You should be able to keep concentrated while also rewarding yourself with a little mental break, ensuring that you do not overwork. You must be really tight with yourself, putting all distractions away and keeping a proper timer on you at all times! If it helps, here are some free resources to help with your revision!
Hope this advice helps and good luck in your exams!
Milena G.
Study Mind
Original post by Medic Mind
Heya! I know it's very stressful but don't give up yet! Personally for maths I feel like you need to do lots of past papers and just practice, there's not really any other way around it. If you planning to study maths in the future (or any other subject like bio and chem and etc) , I would recommend finding past papers by topics rather than as a whole and start with those. An example of this would be these free past papers. That way you'll be able to improve your weak subjects and see if you understand particilar topic fully or if there are any missing gaps you need to cover again.
To stay focused and motivated, I do 'power revisions,' in which I study for 1-2 hours without interruption, then take a 25-minute break and resume studying until I reach 4-5 hours of revision time. You should be able to keep concentrated while also rewarding yourself with a little mental break, ensuring that you do not overwork. You must be really tight with yourself, putting all distractions away and keeping a proper timer on you at all times! If it helps, here are some free resources to help with your revision!
Hope this advice helps and good luck in your exams!
Milena G.
Study Mind

I honestly can’t thank you enough for this! I really am grateful thank you so much!
Reply 11
I honestly can’t thank you enough for this! I really am grateful thank you so much!

HI lol im just interested in what you got i am in the same position you were in last year
Reply 12
Original post by s_19969
HI lol im just interested in what you got i am in the same position you were in last year
I got
9 English lit
7 English lang
7 maths
8-7 science
8 geography
5 computing
5 French
No I didn’t cheat haha but you can do it!

Quick Reply

Latest