The Student Room Group

MPhil in Machine Learning and Machine Intelligence at Cambridge 2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vedant.rathore
Also, those who have received the interview mail, does the mail come in UK work hours or should I be paranoid all day long?😭

No, it would be highly unlikely.
Also, those who have received the interview mail, does the mail come in UK work hours or should I be paranoid all day long?😭

Hello, can i message you regarding preparations for the interview?
Original post by Abrarmohamed

Hello, can i message you regarding preparations for the interview?

I think you marked me mistakenly. I haven’t received an interview call yet. You can ask other folks on this thread though.
Has anyone else heard back for the ML track?
Not me. I had written to MLMI departement. They said it might take the whole of January for the interview offers to be rolled out.
Reply 45
I received my interview invitation on Monday 8th January. My interview is in one week on Monday 15th January and I am ghastly anxious!
Original post by Aziba
I received my interview invitation on Monday 8th January. My interview is in one week on Monday 15th January and I am ghastly anxious!

All the best!! Which track have you applied for?
Reply 47
All the best!! Which track have you applied for?

I applied for the CV track
Original post by Aziba

Good luck !
Reply 49
Original post by Aziba

Good Luck!

I'm still waiting for an invitation.
Original post by Aziba

Would you mind sharing your background ? I want to apply for next year for the same track.
Those who haven’t heard back, should we give up on expecting a call? While the department says it might take all January, I am not so much sure anymore.
Reply 52
Those who haven’t heard back, should we give up on expecting a call? While the department says it might take all January, I am not so much sure anymore.

Well it does seem unlikely to get invites now but I guess we will never be certain until the end of January.
Reply 53

To be honest, I no longer have hope. For me it's better to concentrate on other programs and day-to-day work.
Original post by FilipT123
9 days as of today. I got to pick from several dates.

Hello, would you mind sharing how the interview went, please?
Reply 55
Original post by Anonymous #7
Hello, would you mind sharing how the interview went, please?

I am interested in hearing how others felt about their interviews, but mine was quite more intense than I expected. It was definitely an interesting discussion, but unexpectedly, a second interviewer joined the call, which hadn't been announced beforehand. Intriguingly, this second interviewer was a professor I had mentioned in my application, so that was quite exciting. However, the questions were very in-depth, and whenever I started to veer off in a different direction, he immediately stopped me and asked another question. About 20 minutes were spent discussing various technical aspects of my research, and then he posed some hypotheticals for me to answer.

It's very hard to guess if I performed well, but I answered everything, and I think he somewhat appreciated my research (though it's really hard to say for certain).

What have been the experiences of others here? Especially those in the Speech and Language Processing group.
I am interested in hearing how others felt about their interviews, but mine was quite more intense than I expected. It was definitely an interesting discussion, but unexpectedly, a second interviewer joined the call, which hadn't been announced beforehand. Intriguingly, this second interviewer was a professor I had mentioned in my application, so that was quite exciting. However, the questions were very in-depth, and whenever I started to veer off in a different direction, he immediately stopped me and asked another question. About 20 minutes were spent discussing various technical aspects of my research, and then he posed some hypotheticals for me to answer.

It's very hard to guess if I performed well, but I answered everything, and I think he somewhat appreciated my research (though it's really hard to say for certain).

What have been the experiences of others here? Especially those in the Speech and Language Processing group.

Thank you for providing your experience and hope the best for you! I am also interested in reading others' interview experience. I will have an interview next week (CV track)

Hi.
Do you mind sharing who your interviewer was?
Generally though, I think if you did answer everything or at least let them know that although you don’t have much knowledge in this specific area but is willing to research or at least you would hypothetically do this and this then you’re good to go hopefully!
**Replying to @FilipT123 's post. For some reason student room is not letting me respond to posts

I had my interview for the HCI track and went a bit overboard (around 25 min.). My interview experience was completely different than yours. In the beginning, I answered a few basic questions about what I studied during my undergrad degree. I then presented my research and the professor (who was interviewing me) did not ask many questions. When I received my interview invite I was asked to look over past HCI dissertations and to share my thoughts on them so after I was done presenting my research I briefly explained what I found interesting in each dissertation and which one was my favorite (I was not asked any questions during this section and it was really short, probably because we were running short on time)

In the end my interviewer asked me how I will manage my research while completing the course modules and I replied with a good answer. But one thing that I noticed was that my interviewer did not ask any technical questions that were related to my research so I am not sure if that is a good or bad thing. I feel that my interviewer probably expected me to mention the technical aspect in my slides? Additionally, I don't know what to think about the 'dissertation discussion' section of my interview. I was not asked any questions about the dissertations or the points that I mentioned so I am not sure if my interviewer was satisfied with them.

Anyways, I guess the decisions will come out in a few weeks so I would just need to wait. Good luck to everyone who has a interview or is waiting for a invite! (also for anyone wondering, I received my interview invite a week before my interview which was quite surprising since individuals from last years thread received invites a few days before)
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by randonuser2020
**Replying to @FilipT123 's post. For some reason student room is not letting me respond to posts

I had my interview for the HCI track and went a bit overboard (around 25 min.). My interview experience was completely different than yours. In the beginning, I answered a few basic questions about what I studied during my undergrad degree. I then presented my research and the professor (who was interviewing me) did not ask many questions. When I received my interview invite I was asked to look over past HCI dissertations and to share my thoughts on them so after I was done presenting my research I briefly explained what I found interesting in each dissertation and which one was my favorite (I was not asked any questions during this section and it was really short, probably because we were running short on time)

In the end my interviewer asked me how I will manage my research while completing the course modules and I replied with a good answer. But one thing that I noticed was that my interviewer did not ask any technical questions that were related to my research so I am not sure if that is a good or bad thing. I feel that my interviewer probably expected me to mention the technical aspect in my slides? Additionally, I don't know what to think about the 'dissertation discussion' section of my interview. I was not asked any questions about the dissertations or the points that I mentioned so I am not sure if my interviewer was satisfied with them.

Anyways, I guess the decisions will come out in a few weeks so I would just need to wait. Good luck to everyone who has a interview or is waiting for a invite! (also for anyone wondering, I received my interview invite a week before my interview which was quite surprising since individuals from last years thread received invites a few days before)

I also interviewed for the HCI track and had the same experience! Really not sure whether I 'performed' well or not, just hope I did not sound too nervous..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending