The Student Room Group

MPhil in Machine Learning and Machine Intelligence at Cambridge 2024

Scroll to see replies

@Anonymous#3
oh ok, perhaps this is how the interview format is for the HCI track? Could you send me a pm (if you want to)? I want to ask you some more questions about your experience (like who was your interviewer, etc.).
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by randonuser2020
@Anonymous#3
oh ok, perhaps this is how the interview format is for the HCI track? Could you send me a pm (if you want to)? I want to ask you some more questions about your experience (like who your interviewer was).

I am not able to send messages here because my account is new, do you have Reddit? If so, you can pm me there - my username is u/throaway091011
Reply 62
Original post by randonuser2020
**Replying to @FilipT123 's post. For some reason student room is not letting me respond to posts

I had my interview for the HCI track and went a bit overboard (around 25 min.). My interview experience was completely different than yours. In the beginning, I answered a few basic questions about what I studied during my undergrad degree. I then presented my research and the professor (who was interviewing me) did not ask many questions. When I received my interview invite I was asked to look over past HCI dissertations and to share my thoughts on them so after I was done presenting my research I briefly explained what I found interesting in each dissertation and which one was my favorite (I was not asked any questions during this section and it was really short, probably because we were running short on time)

In the end my interviewer asked me how I will manage my research while completing the course modules and I replied with a good answer. But one thing that I noticed was that my interviewer did not ask any technical questions that were related to my research so I am not sure if that is a good or bad thing. I feel that my interviewer probably expected me to mention the technical aspect in my slides? Additionally, I don't know what to think about the 'dissertation discussion' section of my interview. I was not asked any questions about the dissertations or the points that I mentioned so I am not sure if my interviewer was satisfied with them.

Anyways, I guess the decisions will come out in a few weeks so I would just need to wait. Good luck to everyone who has a interview or is waiting for a invite! (also for anyone wondering, I received my interview invite a week before my interview which was quite surprising since individuals from last years thread received invites a few days before)

Yeah, I think that each interviewer has their own style. My interview was essentially purely the technical stuff (some about my research and some about other different problems). The project we ended up talking about was something I published at ACL and AAAI conferences so maybe he wanted to see how much do I actually know about the topic.

But yeah right now we can only hope that it went well cause it is always rather cryptic.
@Anonymous#3
I sent you a pm request. Although I am not sure it is the correct account since 3 options showed up. my username is u/hs_sarf
Reply 64
HCI track too interviewed last Friday. Basically the same procedure as other ppl. We went a little overboard (approx. 30min) he didn’t really ask any details technical questions, but rather broadly like how RL can be used the dissertations he send over etc. I mentioned some technical details in my past project but he didn’t really ask more about it (donno if it’s good or bad) the interviewer seems pretty nice but I have no idea if that mean I did good or not. I guess the only way to find out is to wait
ML track got an invite a couple of days before the interview (had it middle of this week). Lasted 20 minutes. just gave a presentation about prior research/future work, but I think I rushed it or tried to pack in too much. Then, some theoretical questions and hypothetical questions on some aspects of my research + general questions around it to gauge how I think of challenges in the field. Didnt go too well, but it is what it is. Good luck everyone
Reply 66
Original post by Anonymous #8
ML track got an invite a couple of days before the interview (had it middle of this week). Lasted 20 minutes. just gave a presentation about prior research/future work, but I think I rushed it or tried to pack in too much. Then, some theoretical questions and hypothetical questions on some aspects of my research + general questions around it to gauge how I think of challenges in the field. Didnt go too well, but it is what it is. Good luck everyone

If you don't mind me asking...why do you thing it didn't go too well?
Original post by FilipT123
If you don't mind me asking...why do you thing it didn't go too well?

Just a feeling : ). Maybe it was the interviewer or me feeling it but didn't think I did the best I could. But i guess its hard to grasp/build a rapport to feel it went well in the span of 20min i guess 🤷
Has anyone received an interview invitation recently? I still haven't received any and am wondering if it's still possible.
Original post by Aziba
I received my interview invitation on Monday 8th January. My interview is in one week on Monday 15th January and I am ghastly anxious!

Hello, would you mind sharing how the interview went, please?
Reply 70
Original post by Anonymous #7
Hello, would you mind sharing how the interview went, please?

I have not done my interview yet. It is in about 5 hours time
Original post by Aziba

Good luck with your interview!
Original post by Aziba

okay. Best of luck ! And let us know when you finish
Just joining in, I applied for CV, come from a french business school with a 1st year of engineering school as well.
Haven't heard back about interviews yet but I do not have the same background at all so I was wondering how the interview would go if I ever got an invite.
Original post by Aziba

Good luck and please let us know!
Reply 75
My goodness!!!

I honestly think my interview went pretty well.

The email invite I had received stated I should prepare a presentation (preferably with slides) about my research experiences and go through the Computer Vision/robotics-focused dissertations of past students from the department as I was going to discuss which of them I found interesting and why.

I had rehearsed my presentation a thousand times so that went well. The interviewer then asked me some genuinely curious questions about my past research works which I answered.

After my dissertation discussion, the interviewer only remarked that my observations were fair and did not ask any questions about them.

I was also asked a brief question about my mathematics background from my undergraduate study which I did not give a brief reply to.

Oh yes! I was also asked to introduce myself at the start of the interview for which I delivered my well-rehearsed self eulogizing monologue.

Finally, I got the opportunity to ask questions about the department.
Original post by Aziba
My goodness!!!

I honestly think my interview went pretty well.

The email invite I had received stated I should prepare a presentation (preferably with slides) about my research experiences and go through the Computer Vision/robotics-focused dissertations of past students from the department as I was going to discuss which of them I found interesting and why.

I had rehearsed my presentation a thousand times so that went well. The interviewer then asked me some genuinely curious questions about my past research works which I answered.

After my dissertation discussion, the interviewer only remarked that my observations were fair and did not ask any questions about them.

I was also asked a brief question about my mathematics background from my undergraduate study which I did not give a brief reply to.

Oh yes! I was also asked to introduce myself at the start of the interview for which I delivered my well-rehearsed self eulogizing monologue.

Finally, I got the opportunity to ask questions about the department.

when did you receive the interview email ? may I also ask if there were technical questions ? I do not come from a technical background, I only studied maths at a bachelor level but that was about 2 years ago so I am QUITE rusty and would like to know what to study if there are questions.
Reply 77
Original post by 0ZYM4NDI4S
when did you receive the interview email ? may I also ask if there were technical questions ? I do not come from a technical background, I only studied maths at a bachelor level but that was about 2 years ago so I am QUITE rusty and would like to know what to study if there are questions.

My email came about a week ago.
The only technical questions I was asked were inspired by the technical points I included in my presentation
i did my interview and had the pretty same experience with others. Nothing too technical or unexpected. From what I read in prev years I think this highly depends on the interviewer. He followed the exactly same outline in the mail.
So, i feel like I did what I could’ve done but i have this feeling that it is not going to happen (no reason though). Good luck to all you guys!
Original post by Anonymous #9
i did my interview and had the pretty same experience with others. Nothing too technical or unexpected. From what I read in prev years I think this highly depends on the interviewer. He followed the exactly same outline in the mail.
So, i feel like I did what I could’ve done but i have this feeling that it is not going to happen (no reason though). Good luck to all you guys!

I have the same feeling! :/ What track did you apply to? And good luck to you as well :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending