The Student Room Group

How to set myself up for Oxford E&M in year 11?

Is there anything I can do or that you wished you had done in your GCSE year (11) before 6th form. I am 100% sure I want to do E&M and I want to start doing stuff as early as possible?? Thanks
Hi,

You might find this thread helpful which explores a bit more about the application process and provides advice from an applicant's point of view:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6424980

The main things you could do in Y11 are developing your interests in E&M (through supercurriculars e.g. reading books) and starting to think about the TSA. However, I would say Y11 is quite early to be preparing, and so it's probably more useful to try and focus on doing well in your GCSEs for now, then begin proper preparation in Y12.

Best of luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Mona123456
Hi,

You might find this thread helpful which explores a bit more about the application process and provides advice from an applicant's point of view:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6424980

The main things you could do in Y11 are developing your interests in E&M (through supercurriculars e.g. reading books) and starting to think about the TSA. However, I would say Y11 is quite early to be preparing, and so it's probably more useful to try and focus on doing well in your GCSEs for now, then begin proper preparation in Y12.

Best of luck!

Thank you for replying! Are there any specific books you would recommend?
Original post by Hopefuluser
Is there anything I can do or that you wished you had done in your GCSE year (11) before 6th form. I am 100% sure I want to do E&M and I want to start doing stuff as early as possible?? Thanks

The best thing you can do right now is maximise the amount of 8/9s you achieve, as this is usually how they assess GCSEs at Oxford. As the other person said, wider reading would be nice as well, but they don't grade you based on how many books you've read. They do grade GCSEs.
Original post by Hopefuluser
Thank you for replying! Are there any specific books you would recommend?

Hi,

I'd encourage you to check the department websites and use their suggested reading lists as a starting point. Once you find an area of Economics or Management that interests you, go online or to your local bookstore and try and find more unique texts that are at the appropriate level but not as common, as the reading list texts may be mentioned by applicants quite frequently. I'm an E&M graduate so if you have any other questions feel free to tag me/reply to me and I'll try and answer them based on my experience!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending