The Student Room Group

Doing nothing A-levels?

I feel so lost after alevels. I did not decide to go university, since I am looking for degree apprenticeship for business management and they are insanely hard to get into. I don’t know if I should continue applying because I just keep getting rejections at this point. I have UCAS tariff points of 94 (CCC) so got BCD and a lot of the requirements are like ABB-BBB. I am also applying for jobs like retail jobs, entry level insurance jobs, restaurant jobs and they are all rejecting me or giving me no reply’s back. I am looking to apply to office jobs too but I don’t know. I feel so lost and need guidance because I really don’t know what to do anymore because I’m just getting rejected from everything. If there is anyone that has any tips or guidance, that would be greatly appreciated!
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Philemon4
I feel so lost after alevels. I did not decide to go university, since I am looking for degree apprenticeship for business management and they are insanely hard to get into. I don’t know if I should continue applying because I just keep getting rejections at this point. I have UCAS tariff points of 94 (CCC) so got BCD and a lot of the requirements are like ABB-BBB. I am also applying for jobs like retail jobs, entry level insurance jobs, restaurant jobs and they are all rejecting me or giving me no reply’s back. I am looking to apply to office jobs too but I don’t know. I feel so lost and need guidance because I really don’t know what to do anymore because I’m just getting rejected from everything. If there is anyone that has any tips or guidance, that would be greatly appreciated!

Hmm thats a sticky situation. How many apprenticeships u applied for now? And did they all have entry requirements over 94 tariff points? If yes, would you not consider retaking your a levels and applying with predicted grades again?
Again, how many entry level jobs have u applied for. I also got many rejections/ghosts but eventually got a few replies. Maybe have someone check your cv.
Reply 2
Original post by pepperstalk
Hmm thats a sticky situation. How many apprenticeships u applied for now? And did they all have entry requirements over 94 tariff points? If yes, would you not consider retaking your a levels and applying with predicted grades again?
Again, how many entry level jobs have u applied for. I also got many rejections/ghosts but eventually got a few replies. Maybe have someone check your cv.

I applied to 3 or 4 degree apprenticeships or so but then they were all rejections and ghosts. I applied to plenty of entry level roles like TKMax, Primark, Fiveguys and even Macdonalds (which you’ve got to be joking me) - all rejected me or just ghosted me.
(edited 5 months ago)

I applied to 3 or 4 or so but then they were all rejections and ghosts. I applied to plenty of entry level roles like TKMax, Primark, Fiveguys and even Macdonalds (which you’ve got to be joking me) - all rejected me or just ghosted me.

OK and would you consider retaking a levels.... and also what is on your cv? Do you have any experience on there. That's likely causing rejections
Reply 4
I applied to 3 or 4 or so but then they were all rejections and ghosts. I applied to plenty of entry level roles like TKMax, Primark, Fiveguys and even Macdonalds (which you’ve got to be joking me) - all rejected me or just ghosted me.

I don’t even have money to retake alevels, and my cv has like a few skills like my leadership skills, teamwork skills, time management and then i write how they are applicable to the job role Im applying to. I keep it short. I also write about me being school council and my programmes I participated at school that gave me customer service skills.
(edited 5 months ago)
If you are still 19, the government should still fund your education. Maybe talk to your school to get advice as well. OK, yes that is experience but it is best to build up this experience through volunteering instead because you are competing with people have years of retail exp already. There have been so many seasonal jobs as well!! This is the job I managed to get in and I think are more lenient bc they js want more ppl.
Reply 6
If you are still 19, the government should still fund your education. Maybe talk to your school to get advice as well. OK, yes that is experience but it is best to build up this experience through volunteering instead because you are competing with people have years of retail exp already. There have been so many seasonal jobs as well!! This is the job I managed to get in and I think are more lenient bc they js want more ppl.

I applied for volunteering but got ghosted too so I don’t know what to do. I applied to Cancer Research but go no responses. They are horrible!

I applied for volunteering but got ghosted too so I don’t know what to do. I applied to Cancer Research but go no responses. They are horrible!

I've pm'd u instead
Reply 8
I see where ur coming from, I was in/still in the same position and IMO applying to 4 apprenticeships isn't enough some ppl do 30 applications due to the law of averages! Apply to seasonal jobs rn that how I got mine and it worked and then straight away add it to ur cv and make up some BS abt what u do!

How about trying for a level 3 apprenticeship. I know you wanted a degree one, but you would still work your way up or work towards further qualifications later on down the line.
It might not be what you are looking for, but there are a lot of warehouse jobs going right now. You could try one of those. At least you will have a job for the time being until you find a better job/apprenticeship/whatever.

I know how you feel! There’s lots of Christmas temp roles being advertised for so just keep applying 🙂

Also, there’s a fair few hospitality jobs out there, have you considered working in a kitchen? Even if it’s just as a KP?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending