The Student Room Group

US Student Looking for Fully Funded Counselling Psych PHDs

Hi everyone,
I am a MSW student in the US going to pursuing my LSCW which is a clinical license in social work which allows you to practice as a therapist. I want to move to the UK but would like a PHD specifically in Counselling. I I have been doing a ton of research on programs within the UK but I thought I would post b/c I feel like there's so much info out there and I'm having a bit of trouble narrowing it down...
Does anyone have any info on programs that are fully funded or that have scholarships that pay for living costs?? I've also looked into Fulbright open awards, but those only last 10 months. It wouldn't cover the full degree. So far my top choices are University of Manchester, UWE Bristol, and the University of Edinburgh. Maybe I missed something...Honestly, any tips are helpful. Thanks!
(edited 5 months ago)
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I understand, fully funded PhD or any other type of doctorate that will allow you to practice in the UK only attracts funding for those classed as home students :frown:
There are no fully funded counselling psychology doctorates (DCounPsy) in the UK. Unlike Clinical Psychology doctorates which are funded by the NHS and classify you as an employee, or PhDs which are funded by research grants/ reserach scholarships, Counselling Psychology practitioner doctorates are entirely self funded, and quite expensive at that.

The only instances where I have seen them ever being funded is when existing employees from the NHS have somehow persuaded their trust to sponsor the doctorate, with the expectationt that the employee will have to go back and work for the trust afterwards. I am not sure that even happens any more but I am guessing you aren't in that situation.
Reply 3
Original post by Lord Asriel
There are no fully funded counselling psychology doctorates (DCounPsy) in the UK. Unlike Clinical Psychology doctorates which are funded by the NHS and classify you as an employee, or PhDs which are funded by research grants/ reserach scholarships, Counselling Psychology practitioner doctorates are entirely self funded, and quite expensive at that.

The only instances where I have seen them ever being funded is when existing employees from the NHS have somehow persuaded their trust to sponsor the doctorate, with the expectationt that the employee will have to go back and work for the trust afterwards. I am not sure that even happens any more but I am guessing you aren't in that situation.

That's a bummer: I may be wrong but the University of Manchester had a program where you could be considered for a what was basically full funding plus a stipend...
(edited 5 months ago)
Not come across that, but I guess it's worth you enquiring. Do keep us updated if you are eligible for it, as I know a lot of assistant psychologists would love a fully funded DCounPsy place.
Original post by Scotland Yard
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I understand, fully funded PhD or any other type of doctorate that will allow you to practice in the UK only attracts funding for those classed as home students :frown:

Research councils can now give up to 25% of their available funding to overseas students I believe, although that's only applicable to PhDs which are academic qualifications and not professional doctorates. For the professional psychology doctorates I believe you are right and it's only for home students :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by travelbug22
That's a bummer: I may be wrong but the University of Manchester had a program where you could be considered for a what was called a SEED scholarship which was basically full funding plus a stipend. Is this not a kind of full funding?
https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/postgraduate-research/programmes/list/08588/dcounspsych-counselling-psychology/

They still offer this funding.

Quick Reply

Latest