The Student Room Group

Bristol, Exeter, or Lancaster for my last choice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by BangPitung
30 miles away for university accomodations???

I lived 20 km away from my school and I thought that's already bad, how are you surviving 30 miles away in almost felt like another country and supposed to be "student accomodations". I am hoping this doesn't happen with other university, one reason why I strike queen Mary off my list was because the representative said that if I choose it as my insurance I wouldn't get an accomodations. This is just as bad.

Can you send the link to the article and help on advice on what university should I replace bristol with?

Thank you!

There's information about the Newport accommodation at https://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/about/residences/newport/ It looks like it's right by the Newport campus of the University of South Wales, so it's not like it's 137 Bristol students isolated in the middle of nowhere away from student life. There's a dedicated bus service, and a pass is provided.

The reality is that as student numbers increase -- at any university -- the availability of student accommodation sometimes lags behind. There were stories in the press from various universities back in September/October where students were finding it difficult to get accommodation.

While some universities guarantee accommodation to first years, you may well find that the guarantee applies only to students who make the university their firm choice.
Original post by martin7
There's information about the Newport accommodation at https://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/about/residences/newport/ It looks like it's right by the Newport campus of the University of South Wales, so it's not like it's 137 Bristol students isolated in the middle of nowhere away from student life. There's a dedicated bus service, and a pass is provided.

The reality is that as student numbers increase -- at any university -- the availability of student accommodation sometimes lags behind. There were stories in the press from various universities back in September/October where students were finding it difficult to get accommodation.

While some universities guarantee accommodation to first years, you may well find that the guarantee applies only to students who make the university their firm choice.

Bristol historically has had problems with accommodation. They were doing this in 2019. What other cities has this been happening. It isnt just Newport they have been offering places in their veterinary school miles away and also Bath over the years. It is over 30 minutes to travel from Newport to Bristol. How will students get in for events after universities.

What other university/city offers first year places 31 miles away. Just to give you some perspective Newport is 12 miles from Cardiff yet Cardiff dont place its students there. They house them in Cardiff.

From Bristol accommodation site

Getting to the campus
30 miles from campus
Approximately 67 minutes bus journey
45 minutes by car
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 22
Original post by swanseajack1
Bristol historically has had problems with accommodation. They were doing this in 2019. What other cities has this been happening. It isnt just Newport they have been offering places in their veterinary school miles away and also Bath over the years. It is over 30 minutes to travel from Newport to Bristol. How will students get in for events after universities.

What other university/city offers first year places 31 miles away. Just to give you some perspective Newport is 12 miles from Cardiff yet Cardiff dont place its students there. They house them in Cardiff.

From Bristol accommodation site

Getting to the campus
30 miles from campus
Approximately 67 minutes bus journey
45 minutes by car

UWE were placing students studying in Bristol in accommodation in Cheltenham and Gloucester: https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/cheltenham-news/kirstie-allsopp-slams-university-sending-8747063

Glasgow (in 2022) were, apparently, recommending that students should drop out if they can't find accommodation: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/housing-shortage-university-of-glasgow-b2227907.html

Yes, it's far from ideal to be living 30 miles from the university you're studying at -- it's not something I would be considering if I were a student. But this is just an option (and one that apparently students are applying for); no one is forcing students to live in Newport.
Original post by martin7
UWE were placing students studying in Bristol in accommodation in Cheltenham and Gloucester: https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/cheltenham-news/kirstie-allsopp-slams-university-sending-8747063

Glasgow (in 2022) were, apparently, recommending that students should drop out if they can't find accommodation: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/housing-shortage-university-of-glasgow-b2227907.html

Yes, it's far from ideal to be living 30 miles from the university you're studying at -- it's not something I would be considering if I were a student. But this is just an option (and one that apparently students are applying for); no one is forcing students to live in Newport.

UWE is in Bristol and part of the same problem. There is a shortage of accommodation in that city. Even 10 years ago Bristol students were having to bus in within the city. Back in 2019 Bristol were offering students in clearing Newport. No choice in the mater. Newport or nothing. Quite simply if you dont have enough accommodation you shouldnt be offering places not trying to cram in everyone irrespective to make money.

There has been a problem elsewhere due to issues regarding covid. Universities got caught over the confetti grades issued due to teacher assessment. 23% had A*s under TAG compared to 8% previously and under ucas rules they had to accept all whereas previously many would not have met their offers.
I am an international IB student wanting to apply for computer science.

My current list is
UCL
King's college
Southampton
durham

please help me choose between Bristol, Exeter, or Lancaster for my fifth school choice in UCAS, I would happily answer any questions that's needed

I have a list of pro and con but it seems like I can't put it here because there's a limit on words or something

Hi there @BangPitung,

It's great to hear that you are starting to think about applying to the University of Exeter! There are a few points I'd recommend considering that might help you narrow down your choices!

First, I'd recommend taking a closer look at the modules available. There might be something you're really interested in studying that is offered at one university but not another. You can find more about the modules offered at Exeter here. Please bear in mind they are subject to change each year, but nevertheless should provide a good understanding of the course. It might also be worth considering contact hours, assessment types, etc. These may vary slightly from each other and therefore help you filter through your choices.

Aside from academics, societies and extra-curriculars are a great way to engage in university life - I'd therefore recommend taking a closer look at what is on offer at each university. In Exeter, we have over 300 societies and our Athletic Union runs 52 sports clubs. You can read more about them here.

On a more personal note, I'm now in my final year at Exeter and have really enjoyed my time here! In terms of the area, there are plenty of restaurants, bars, clubs, etc. to choose from. I've found it is the perfect mix between a large city and a small town - plenty to do, but it doesn't feel overwhelming! Easy access to the beach or nearby cities on the train. The teaching staff and student community are all really friendly, and the Career Zone provide excellent support with CVs, job interviews, and applications.

I know as an international student it might be difficult to visit our campus - we do offer a virtual tour that might be an alternative, linked here.

Wishing you the best of luck with your application! Please feel free to get in touch if you have any further questions!

Kitty
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Reply 25
I am an international IB student wanting to apply for computer science.

My current list is
UCL
King's college
Southampton
durham

please help me choose between Bristol, Exeter, or Lancaster for my fifth school choice in UCAS, I would happily answer any questions that's needed

I have a list of pro and con but it seems like I can't put it here because there's a limit on words or something

Bristol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending