The Student Room Group

Mature student -isolation

I’m 52 doing a computer science degree in Edinburgh and despite having other degrees and years of prof experience I decided to change career . I feel like an undergrad of 18 - is just finishing semester 1 - and I’ve never felt so lonely and isolated as I do now . I’m doing all the right pro active things -taking on responsibilities in groups but in all honesty people are lovely to me but I don’t have any common ground with them .

I think it’s daft to expect to feel comfortable in this setting -I’m their contemporary in class but so different in life experience so there’s no natural , fulfilling sense of gelling .

Is it best to get a pt job to get my social fix and not rely on uni ?
Original post by Bmg 1404
I’m 52 doing a computer science degree in Edinburgh and despite having other degrees and years of prof experience I decided to change career . I feel like an undergrad of 18 - is just finishing semester 1 - and I’ve never felt so lonely and isolated as I do now . I’m doing all the right pro active things -taking on responsibilities in groups but in all honesty people are lovely to me but I don’t have any common ground with them .

I think it’s daft to expect to feel comfortable in this setting -I’m their contemporary in class but so different in life experience so there’s no natural , fulfilling sense of gelling .

Is it best to get a pt job to get my social fix and not rely on uni ?

I notice that you said in your post that you have taken on responsibilities in groups but have you considered taking on a formal Course Representative role and taking a lead in feeding back student concerns to the teaching team or taking up a role within the Students' Union? These kinds of roles would naturally put you in social groups with those who may have more life experience like you or who are certainly more confident than some of your class mates. I would imagine the other students would also value you representing their voice if they feel less able to do this. Also, you could perhaps see whether your university has any student ambassador roles where you may be able to volunteer to support others students to develop their data literacy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending