The Student Room Group

Socially awkward

Hi,

I find it so difficult to make conversation with people. I’m so awkward and I never know what to say to people. I always stumble over my words and embarrass myself and end up saying incoherent sentences which don’t make sense. I sometimes even do this with friends who I’m comfortable with? Sometimes I’m speaking and I stop mid sentence idk why. This happens so often and I come home and can’t stop thinking about the encounter especially if it’s with someone new that I’m going to see again.Just wanted to add that English is my first language so I don’t understand why this is happening.I don’t know if it’s me stumbling over my words that’s causing the anxiety of it’s the other way round.
Does anyone have some advise for me?

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi,

I find it so difficult to make conversation with people. I’m so awkward and I never know what to say to people. I always stumble over my words and embarrass myself and end up saying incoherent sentences which don’t make sense. I sometimes even do this with friends who I’m comfortable with? Sometimes I’m speaking and I stop mid sentence idk why. This happens so often and I come home and can’t stop thinking about the encounter especially if it’s with someone new that I’m going to see again.Just wanted to add that English is my first language so I don’t understand why this is happening.I don’t know if it’s me stumbling over my words that’s causing the anxiety of it’s the other way round.
Does anyone have some advise for me?

Thank you.

Hi, social anxiety can be so difficult. I sometimes find when i speak i just mess up random words. I know it's embarrassing but sometimes the best thing to do is to laugh at yourself - then other people can't. I find i can do this with my close friends. but with other people its a bit harder. Just try to think about the fact that you're not alone. Other people experience this as well. I find the best thing to do when this happens with new people or strangers is to just try to pretend it didn't happen and move over it. if you dont acknowledge it, they probably won't either. and they may not even notice. I think its just so important to not focus on it, to not let it ruin your whole day! Hope this helps, know that you're not alone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending