The Student Room Group

Should I redo the year? (Engineering)

I didn't get invited to an interview from Cambridge (Engineering) - bit disappointed as I put quite some effort preparing it for all of it go to waste, due to a number of different reasons (tanked the ENGAA, only 3 A-levels, mediocre GCSE grades, bad habits etc.)

I've already received offers from 3 offers from Russell Group Uni's and I'm very likely to get an offer from my 5th option.

I honestly think I had the ability to go to Cambridge, but not the effort and dedication required to do so, as I still play video games or go out, straight after college, whilst leaving homework or revision to be done at 11pm until like 1 in the morning. To be brutally honest to myself ,I've just fallen off since lockdown (remember that?)

This is why I've been wondering whether I should take the chance and retake the year after this second year, or just accept that I'm just under the bar for Cambridge and put this behind me. I was taking a 4th A-Level (CS) but I dropped it because I was "too lazy" to do coursework. Right now I'm studying Maths, Physics and FM.
Original post by Anonymous
I didn't get invited to an interview from Cambridge (Engineering) - bit disappointed as I put quite some effort preparing it for all of it go to waste, due to a number of different reasons (tanked the ENGAA, only 3 A-levels, mediocre GCSE grades, bad habits etc.)

I've already received offers from 3 offers from Russell Group Uni's and I'm very likely to get an offer from my 5th option.

I honestly think I had the ability to go to Cambridge, but not the effort and dedication required to do so, as I still play video games or go out, straight after college, whilst leaving homework or revision to be done at 11pm until like 1 in the morning. To be brutally honest to myself ,I've just fallen off since lockdown (remember that?)

This is why I've been wondering whether I should take the chance and retake the year after this second year, or just accept that I'm just under the bar for Cambridge and put this behind me. I was taking a 4th A-Level (CS) but I dropped it because I was "too lazy" to do coursework. Right now I'm studying Maths, Physics and FM.

If your "effort and dedication" are not at the level needed for Cambridge, then it seems sensible to pursue the offers you do have instead. If you retook the year, there is absolutely no guarantee that a Cambridge offer would be forthcoming anyway

What is it they say about a bird in the hand being worth two in the bush? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending