The Student Room Group

Is it possible to like repeat your alevels while doing ur first year at uni?

I got my grades yesterday, I passed but i didn't do so well, I got like a BCC i want to repeat, while doing a first year if i can cuz i want to chnage unis after the first year, do you guys think like its possible to do it, or do u think it will be too much pressure?
Reply 1
No, don't do this. Either go to university or resit your A-Levels; you will compromise your chances of success in both courses if you try to juggle them simultaneously.

If you don't like the look of the university that you've got into, don't go there. Take a year out and resit.
Reply 2
Not a good idea, there's no guarantee that you'd be able to transfer unis after first year, in which case you'd be left with weaker first year results and knowledge from spreading yourself too thin. Even ignoring the workload, there's a decent chance your uni summer exams would clash with your A level exams, and there's no way to rearrange them like you can if it's two A levels clashing.
Original post by Pandacake123
I got my grades yesterday, I passed but i didn't do so well, I got like a BCC i want to repeat, while doing a first year if i can cuz i want to chnage unis after the first year, do you guys think like its possible to do it, or do u think it will be too much pressure?

Definitely don't do A levels as well as first year of uni! - way too much pressure. Depending on the university you go to you might have quite a lot of modules (e.g. during First year I had 7 modules). Assuming you'll be moving away to university don't forget you'll also be adjusting to a new environment, new people, and also be adjusting to higher education. Also, the life things like cooking for yourself etc. will be quite taxing!

Does the university you're looking at have a foundation year? :smile: After completion, you can enter year 1 as usual in your chosen subject :yep:
Reply 4
It does but its full, everything is full right now for like computer science, ngl idk what exactly is going to happen im so confused cuz i had to go through clearing, i like course but idk, i feel like repeating a year but cuz of my situation right now with my family i really can't, my parents wont let me repeat.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Don’t do it!!
Either go to uni and make the most of it or take a gap year and resit. One year in the grand scheme of things is nothing!
When my daughter started uni there were 7 students in her flat. 6 had done gap years, so you won’t be an oddity!
If you try to do both, even if you manage the work load, you will definitely miss out on the fun of a first year at uni, and that’s something you can’t really re discover even if you change schools and degree subjects. You should be making the most of each moment, and you won’t be able to if you spread yourself too thin.
Secondly, as someone has mentioned, your exam dates could quite likely clash, and then what? A wasted year of uni with an additional debt of between 10 and 20K to pay off or retakes in the summer.
There is no reason to rush into things. If the choices available to you don’t appeal, then take a gap year. Retake or don’t, but reapply with the grades you have and choose schools and degree subjects that appeal to you, and then make some aspirational choices if you manage to do better if ever you decide to retake.
You won't find anyone that recommends doing this. As PQ is fond of saying, "don't half arse two things, whole arse one thing" :smile:

If your parents are dead set against repeating, I would focus on making the best out of your uni experience, (social, careers services etc.).
Reply 7
Okie i think i know what i want to do now, tysm guys 🤗

Quick Reply

Latest