The Student Room Group

Next steps to help with phd chances

Hello everyone!

I'm starting to think about next steps in my career.

I studied a BSc Psychology at Bath Spa University and got a 2.1,
went to University College London and got an MSc Child Development (merit) from their Institute of Education.

Career wise, I had an awful bereavement during my masters and then once I received my final grades, covid hit, so I've been a bit unluck in finding career related jobs. I also don't drive (And I don't think I ever should) which has also not helped mycase.

I eventually wrote a proposal for some phd research that I wanted to conduct. I got some serious interest from some professors at a university, they helped me apply for funding but it got rejected by the board. The professors wanted me to apply anyway and self-fund (but I couldn't afford to do that).

I hunted around at other universities, but my research was quite niche and I found it hard to find interest in supervising the project.

So of course, I ran away to South Korea for 2 years. I have been teaching in a private kindergarten as a form teacher and as a literacy teacher. I teach english language speaking and phonics to 4-5 year olds.

Now I've decided my time here is up and I should go back home and do whatever it takes to get a phd, but perhaps I should put my niche research on the backburner and apply for some funded phd projects in developmental psychology instead.

What are the best jobs I can apply for to boost my chances in such a competitive field?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending