The Student Room Group

A Level Maths with Space Sector

I do A Level Physics, Chemistry and Biology

Now the thing is, I flopped my Maths so I wasn't able to do it for A Level if I get exceptional grades for those subjects would they ignore me not having A Level Mathematics

Is it worth taking it for AS in Year 13?
Reply 1
I want to go to a uni like Imperial
Original post by liamtpry
I do A Level Physics, Chemistry and Biology

Now the thing is, I flopped my Maths so I wasn't able to do it for A Level if I get exceptional grades for those subjects would they ignore me not having A Level Mathematics

Is it worth taking it for AS in Year 13?

Hiya,

I'm a current 3rd year astrophysics and cosmology student at Lancaster Uni and would highly recommend looking at courses you want to do at uni and seeing if maths is required. I'd say if it is, try to complete the AS in year 13 as that would put you in a better light having not completed the A-Level, but be careful as unis may not count you doing the AS as enough to match their requirements.
Keep going strong in your sciences, as you said they would ignore you not having the maths A-Level, but be wary that some uni courses have it as required, so it may be worth exploring other courses that don't have maths as a necessity. Saying that, the sciences use maths techniques and have sufficient knowledge for you to pursue a degree in them, but again, some unis won't take you on if you have a lack of maths so I recommend doing a little bit of research or even talking to some teachers at school to see if past students have had this issue before / how to get around it / discuss other options if courses you like the look of involve having completed maths at A-Level.

I hope this all helps and wish you all the best!! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.
-- Arya (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest