The Student Room Group

First Year Engineering Internships

Im cyrrently a MechE student and in my first year but am really keen and intrested in completing a intership in automotive, motorsports, aviations and fields related to these.

I was having a look through webistes that show all the available internships and it seems they only really accept second years adn third years. Does anyone know of nay companies or anyhting else i can do to try and work in engineering in a summer placement for this upcoming summer? :smile:
F1 teams usually don't do summer placements unless you have contacts with an insider etc. But a few times like McLaren and Williams do offer work experience. In fact, McLaren's applications just opened a week ago. Outside of that, you could probably get a summer internship with a local F4 team etc
Reply 2
Original post by charliejoshua
Im cyrrently a MechE student and in my first year but am really keen and intrested in completing a intership in automotive, motorsports, aviations and fields related to these.

I was having a look through webistes that show all the available internships and it seems they only really accept second years adn third years. Does anyone know of nay companies or anyhting else i can do to try and work in engineering in a summer placement for this upcoming summer? :smile:

Are you involved with your uni's Formula Student team?
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Are you involved with your uni's Formula Student team?

yes i am its hard to get involved with much technical stuff as its quite advanced at the moment but ive been given a project about looking into our cars setup using IPG and an helping build the car and lathe and mill parts
Reply 4
yes i am its hard to get involved with much technical stuff as its quite advanced at the moment but ive been given a project about looking into our cars setup using IPG and an helping build the car and lathe and mill parts

That's a good start. Did you look at Motorsport Engineering degrees?
Reply 5
That's a good start. Did you look at Motorsport Engineering degrees?

Yes i did but i liked southampton and its course and decided id like to do a bachelors with a placement year either in aviation or motorsports at soton and then go to brookes or cranfield to do there Msc in motorsports engineering.
Reply 6
Yes i did but i liked southampton and its course and decided id like to do a bachelors with a placement year either in aviation or motorsports at soton and then go to brookes or cranfield to do there Msc in motorsports engineering.

OK that sounds good and Brookes will have completed its brand new facilities for Engineering by then :smile:
Reply 7
OK that sounds good and Brookes will have completed its brand new facilities for Engineering by then :smile:

Thats great, i think im leaning to brookes as you can get heavily involved with FS within and outside your studies and also it seems to get better reviews then cranfield gets and seems a nicer place to live.
Reply 8
Thats great, i think im leaning to brookes as you can get heavily involved with FS within and outside your studies and also it seems to get better reviews then cranfield gets and seems a nicer place to live.

F1 were involved with designing the course at Brookes and it was the first of its type. The ew facilities look even better than the older ones on the Wheatley site which were industry standard.

Quick Reply

Latest