The Student Room Group

Can i still get a summer engineering apprenticeship with a 2:1 in first year?

basically what the title asked. I'm currently doing a civil engineering degree and feel like at the end of first year i'm most likely to get a 2:1. how much of a disadvantage does that put me in as i will not get a first? thank you for your help!
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Jjmhgvygv
basically what the title asked. I'm currently doing a civil engineering degree and feel like at the end of first year i'm most likely to get a 2:1. how much of a disadvantage does that put me in as i will not get a first? thank you for your help!
Hi @Jjmhgvygv,

Congrats on the 2:1 for your first year! Its not the end of the world that you didn't get a 1st, lots of companies require 2:1&above or even 2:2&above. Have you researched the the degree requirements needed for a civil engine summer internship/placement? I highly recommend taking a look at Gradcracker, they list hundred of opportunities and the degree requirements vary, its a great starting point for researching summer internships/year in industry/graduate jobs.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
Izzy (Lancaster University Engineering Student Ambassador)
Hi there,

Congrats on achieving a 2:1. You absolutely can get an apprenticeship with this class - in fact most only require 2:1 or even 2:2 and above so you will not be at a disadvantage.
I would recommend going to any CV and interview help if this is offered by your university. The internships you get will choose you based on what they believe you can offer and what you are like as a student. Bulk out your CV with any projects you've been a part of, any labs you have attended, extra-curriculars etc. Keep it mostly related to where you are applying with a separate smaller section for other things that promote your soft skills.

Good luck with applying,
Sophie (uni of Bath)

Quick Reply

Latest