The Student Room Group

Investment Bank Degree Apprenticeship

What should I do in the summer to boost my CV for degree apprenticeships at JPMorgan or Goldman Sachs?
I don't think you can do anything monumental over the summer to boost your CV, but I do have something that you can try over the summer if you want. Forage offers virtual internships from many major firms that are done online and only take like 5 hours or a bit longer. I'm sure there are some big finance ones that you can have a go at.

Many people applied to JP Morgan with half-decent CVs and got a telephone interview. Biggest tip - APPLY EARLY. Like early as in as soon as the application deadline opens. I had a banging CV but didn't even get considered because I applied a bit later (a solid 2/3 weeks before the stated deadline) since they got an unexpected influx in applications (in the thousands). Consider applying to the Bournemouth location if that's viable for you, to increase your chance of an offer.

I'm assuming you know how to structure your CV, and that it's only a page (2 page MAX). To be honest, with degree apprenticeships, a CV means very little and any decent one should get you to the next stage where the real knockouts begin. Some firms like Goldman Sachs also require a cover letter, so you might want to prepare for that accordingly, but again it's not the biggest deal in the application process. Most people got knocked out in the telephone interview stage for JP Morgan I believe.

Most major firms offering a degree apprenticeship normally have a stage where they take out most applicants (since they receive a lot). Identify that stage for the respective firm you're applying to, and focus all your efforts on doing great on that stage.

I currently hold offers from HSBC and UBS for degree apprenticeships, so if you want any other advice then you can feel free to ask (I also had an offer from an accounting firm called Grant Thornton if that interests you).
Original post by randomstudentlol
What should I do in the summer to boost my CV for degree apprenticeships at JPMorgan or Goldman Sachs?

Also what role are you applying for at these firms - finance or tech, since I'm not well versed for the latter?
Original post by toxicgamage56
I don't think you can do anything monumental over the summer to boost your CV, but I do have something that you can try over the summer if you want. Forage offers virtual internships from many major firms that are done online and only take like 5 hours or a bit longer. I'm sure there are some big finance ones that you can have a go at.

Many people applied to JP Morgan with half-decent CVs and got a telephone interview. Biggest tip - APPLY EARLY. Like early as in as soon as the application deadline opens. I had a banging CV but didn't even get considered because I applied a bit later (a solid 2/3 weeks before the stated deadline) since they got an unexpected influx in applications (in the thousands). Consider applying to the Bournemouth location if that's viable for you, to increase your chance of an offer.

I'm assuming you know how to structure your CV, and that it's only a page (2 page MAX). To be honest, with degree apprenticeships, a CV means very little and any decent one should get you to the next stage where the real knockouts begin. Some firms like Goldman Sachs also require a cover letter, so you might want to prepare for that accordingly, but again it's not the biggest deal in the application process. Most people got knocked out in the telephone interview stage for JP Morgan I believe.

Most major firms offering a degree apprenticeship normally have a stage where they take out most applicants (since they receive a lot). Identify that stage for the respective firm you're applying to, and focus all your efforts on doing great on that stage.

I currently hold offers from HSBC and UBS for degree apprenticeships, so if you want any other advice then you can feel free to ask (I also had an offer from an accounting firm called Grant Thornton if that interests you).

Wow, that is amazing. Do you have any tips in terms of getting through the application stages? Of course, understand their values and culture but does having a vast (abnormally huge) understanding of finance significantly give me a better chance? Since you have first-hand experience, what type/theme of questions do they usually ask?
Wow, that is amazing. Do you have any tips in terms of getting through the application stages? Of course, understand their values and culture but does having a vast (abnormally huge) understanding of finance significantly give me a better chance? Since you have first-hand experience, what type/theme of questions do they usually ask?

Well, I can answer for UBS's application process since that's what I actually went the whole way through for. I had to do an initial application with a cover letter (and maybe CV but I'm not 100% sure). The second stage was a maths/verbal reasoning test where I had to do something similar to an 11+ test (if you've done that) and it went decently so I got through to the next round. People did much better than be in the second stage but didn't, so again, I think you should apply super early (I applied like an hour after it opened). The third stage was a video interview where I answered 10 questions like why I chose my A-level subjects, whether I knew about the role I'd applied for, what I did in my free time etc. The last stage came months later, and was an assessment centre with a virtual face to face interview. There are 3 of those, and I finally got my offer shortly after that. You can ask for clarifications on any of those if you want, I'm just going off of memory. Now, I'm just doing my A-levels and seeing what grades I get. If I get amazing grades, I might take up my university offer, but if not I'll take the UBS offer since it's with Exeter and is paying me 27k first year.
Well, I can answer for UBS's application process since that's what I actually went the whole way through for. I had to do an initial application with a cover letter (and maybe CV but I'm not 100% sure). The second stage was a maths/verbal reasoning test where I had to do something similar to an 11+ test (if you've done that) and it went decently so I got through to the next round. People did much better than be in the second stage but didn't, so again, I think you should apply super early (I applied like an hour after it opened). The third stage was a video interview where I answered 10 questions like why I chose my A-level subjects, whether I knew about the role I'd applied for, what I did in my free time etc. The last stage came months later, and was an assessment centre with a virtual face to face interview. There are 3 of those, and I finally got my offer shortly after that. You can ask for clarifications on any of those if you want, I'm just going off of memory. Now, I'm just doing my A-levels and seeing what grades I get. If I get amazing grades, I might take up my university offer, but if not I'll take the UBS offer since it's with Exeter and is paying me 27k first year.

You look like you thought it through. Good luck with your A levels, I think there is no downside in going to university or UBS's offer. I heard other apprenticeships are paying 21k so 27k is great. For me, the traditional university route is my plan B lol.
You look like you thought it through. Good luck with your A levels, I think there is no downside in going to university or UBS's offer. I heard other apprenticeships are paying 21k so 27k is great. For me, the traditional university route is my plan B lol.

The UBS offer is only CBB so it's definitely my back-up since my university offer is A*AA. To be honest, university was my back-up option until I got an offer from LSE for Law (at the beginning of May, like 2 weeks before the offer deadline). Good luck with your predicted grades, and getting applications in for degree apprenticeships/university. Lmk if you have any other queries, and you can even come back to ask me things when you're in the application process down the line since I'm quite active on TSR. :smile:
The UBS offer is only CBB so it's definitely my back-up since my university offer is A*AA. To be honest, university was my back-up option until I got an offer from LSE for Law (at the beginning of May, like 2 weeks before the offer deadline). Good luck with your predicted grades, and getting applications in for degree apprenticeships/university. Lmk if you have any other queries, and you can even come back to ask me things when you're in the application process down the line since I'm quite active on TSR. :smile:

Thank you so much! I am doing my GCSEs right now actually. I wish from the bottom of my heart that you get the grades you deserve!!
Reply 8
Hi! My CV is almost ready but im holding back from applying because im predicted CBB and some firms require BBB and im also expecting work experience in accounting in a couple weeks. Should i wait to get my predicted grades up and work experience or apply early? Im also taking courses for multiple aspects of finance and i own a marketing agency with 2 long term clients. Do u think ive got a shot? What advice would you give me?

Reply 9
Original post by Asul_5
Hi! My CV is almost ready but im holding back from applying because im predicted CBB and some firms require BBB and im also expecting work experience in accounting in a couple weeks. Should i wait to get my predicted grades up and work experience or apply early? Im also taking courses for multiple aspects of finance and i own a marketing agency with 2 long term clients. Do u think ive got a shot? What advice would you give me?

Hello, I’ve just started an apprenticeship with UBS but got offers from HSBC, Deloitte, KPMG, BDO and Airbus. That’s to say I’m pretty well versed in apprenticeship applications and securing offers. I don’t think you should worry too much about your predicted grades as long as they are roughly equivalent to the requirements stipulated by the firm. Definitely give it a shot as there isn’t really a downside, also if you are pretty certain your predicted grades will be BBB in a months time I can’t see much harm in telling the employer that as long as you also apply to roles in which your current predictions are also acceptable. Applying early is definitely a benefit but not a deciding factor for any firm so if you would feel more confident after you’ve gained more experience and knowledge of the industry then it would be worth waiting. However there are loads of firms with different application dates so it may be a good idea to apply to a few (3-4) now then more in the future as you may gain better insights as to the application process and how to complete the assessments
Reply 10
Thank you very much!! I also want to do the UBS apprenticeship, primarily the investment banking one however all of them look great to me except the tech one . Do you have any advice for me for the application process and how i can prepare? It would be greatly appreciated! If you want we could dm anywhere. Have a good day

Original post by APcookie
Hello, I’ve just started an apprenticeship with UBS but got offers from HSBC, Deloitte, KPMG, BDO and Airbus. That’s to say I’m pretty well versed in apprenticeship applications and securing offers. I don’t think you should worry too much about your predicted grades as long as they are roughly equivalent to the requirements stipulated by the firm. Definitely give it a shot as there isn’t really a downside, also if you are pretty certain your predicted grades will be BBB in a months time I can’t see much harm in telling the employer that as long as you also apply to roles in which your current predictions are also acceptable. Applying early is definitely a benefit but not a deciding factor for any firm so if you would feel more confident after you’ve gained more experience and knowledge of the industry then it would be worth waiting. However there are loads of firms with different application dates so it may be a good idea to apply to a few (3-4) now then more in the future as you may gain better insights as to the application process and how to complete the assessments

Can I have a look at your cover letter please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending