Bristol/Bath/Southampton/ Manchester

Help! I just got offers from Bristol and Southampton for :

Engineering Mathematics at Bristol
Computer Engineering at Southampton

I'm waiting to hear from

Computer Science & Math at Bath
computer Science at Manchester

Got rejected from St Andrews CS & Maths

Besides the differences in syllabus I wonder if there are significant differences between Bristol / Bath / Southampton / Manchester in terms of reputation, employability or if I should just focus on lifestyle and location.

I am an international student so cannot visit before making my choice so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Original post by JSF_JSF
Help! I just got offers from Bristol and Southampton for :

Engineering Mathematics at Bristol
Computer Engineering at Southampton

I'm waiting to hear from

Computer Science & Math at Bath
computer Science at Manchester

Got rejected from St Andrews CS & Maths

Besides the differences in syllabus I wonder if there are significant differences between Bristol / Bath / Southampton / Manchester in terms of reputation, employability or if I should just focus on lifestyle and location.

I am an international student so cannot visit before making my choice so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Southampton has a low cost of living and the ECS dept is superb. If you like the idea of doing more electronic engineering as well as computing go for it- it is a more employable degree imo and sets you apart from the huge numbers of compsci grads struggling to get jobs rn
Southampton is a horrible city, I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. The university environment matters as much as the course as you’ll be spending the next 3/4 years there, too.

In terms of location, Bath is a more peaceful university with a balance of nature and city life, with good night life, shopping, and even has good transport links to quickly get to Bristol. Just 10 minutes by train. Although the cost of living is relatively high.

Bristols is higher than Bath, although Bristol is a fun and bustling city, again though, it’s very close to Bath. So if you chose one of these two cities to study within, it would be ideal to get to and from either, experiencing the vibe of both cities.

Manchester is a nice city, with lots of modern architecture, shops, and night life. The university is good very good. It’s pricey, but certainly less expensive than cities like London.

I would choose a course that isn’t so much the standard ‘computer science’ theme though, as they are very popular degrees and are highly competitive for getting jobs in related sectors. A degree that will give you more skills and a broader title will help make you stand out from the crowd. I would ideally look between Bath and Bristol out of those two, based on the course, university reputation, and environment of the surrounding areas.

I hope this has helped to give a small overview of the cities themselves outside the course, too.
Reply 3
Original post by greentiger
Southampton is a horrible city, I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. The university environment matters as much as the course as you’ll be spending the next 3/4 years there, too.

In terms of location, Bath is a more peaceful university with a balance of nature and city life, with good night life, shopping, and even has good transport links to quickly get to Bristol. Just 10 minutes by train. Although the cost of living is relatively high.

Bristols is higher than Bath, although Bristol is a fun and bustling city, again though, it’s very close to Bath. So if you chose one of these two cities to study within, it would be ideal to get to and from either, experiencing the vibe of both cities.

Manchester is a nice city, with lots of modern architecture, shops, and night life. The university is good very good. It’s pricey, but certainly less expensive than cities like London.

I would choose a course that isn’t so much the standard ‘computer science’ theme though, as they are very popular degrees and are highly competitive for getting jobs in related sectors. A degree that will give you more skills and a broader title will help make you stand out from the crowd. I would ideally look between Bath and Bristol out of those two, based on the course, university reputation, and environment of the surrounding areas.

I hope this has helped to give a small overview of the cities themselves outside the course, too.
thank you so much. this is really helpful. I'll wait to hear from Bath but I really like Bristol's Engineering Mathematics course, in part because of its original curriculum but also for what I've read of the environment. thank you again
Reply 4
Original post by greentiger
thank you so much. this is very helpful. I now have an offer from Manchester, altough the conditions are more onerous

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending