The Student Room Group

Is my ex-boyfriend using his new girlfriend for her money?

I dumped my ex-boyfriend a year ago and I recently saw that he's dating someone else. I looked at her profile and a few things stuck out to me... first of all she's a doctor and both of her parents are also doctors. I saw the house that she grew up in and it's like a mansion, so it seems like she was raised with the golden spoon and is the trust fund kid. She's very educated and successful and has a Phd, works as a prison psychologist and after doing research with the place and position she works at I see that she makes over 150k-200k a year.

I was telling my friends about it the other day and one of my girlfriends actually knows her personally and was telling me about how she's a nice girl and was buying her ex-boyfriend all these expensive gifts, flying him out for trips, etc. She has a super nice car and apartment and lo and behold I see my ex posting himself in new clothes (a lot of them brand name), riding in her car, and going to all these expensive places so I know she's obviously paying for it. I just find this strange because when we were together he would pay for everything and I feel like the man should be paying in the relationship if he really likes the girl because otherwise he's probably using her.

I texted him asking why he's dating her and what he sees in her and he says it's none of my business because number 1 I was the one who broke up with him and 2 he hasn't heard from me in a year. Now he's ignoring my texts. This is just a weird situation and I feel like asking my friend for this girls' number because she's obviously being used and I feel like someone should tell her. Also, I feel like part of him is dating her to make me jealous because I always used to talk about how I regretted not finishing college etc and now all of a sudden he's with a woman with good education/career?
Reply 1
IDK it is a bit of a sketchy situation.Don't ruin it for him it might be a genuine relationship but you are just jealous.If I was in your place,I would let that friend that knows her personally to advice her not to keep bank details and valuable assets around just in case he flips
she wouldn't be dumb to get played tho
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I dumped my ex-boyfriend a year ago and I recently saw that he's dating someone else. I looked at her profile and a few things stuck out to me... first of all she's a doctor and both of her parents are also doctors. I saw the house that she grew up in and it's like a mansion, so it seems like she was raised with the golden spoon and is the trust fund kid. She's very educated and successful and has a Phd, works as a prison psychologist and after doing research with the place and position she works at I see that she makes over 150k-200k a year.

I was telling my friends about it the other day and one of my girlfriends actually knows her personally and was telling me about how she's a nice girl and was buying her ex-boyfriend all these expensive gifts, flying him out for trips, etc. She has a super nice car and apartment and lo and behold I see my ex posting himself in new clothes (a lot of them brand name), riding in her car, and going to all these expensive places so I know she's obviously paying for it. I just find this strange because when we were together he would pay for everything and I feel like the man should be paying in the relationship if he really likes the girl because otherwise he's probably using her.

I texted him asking why he's dating her and what he sees in her and he says it's none of my business because number 1 I was the one who broke up with him and 2 he hasn't heard from me in a year. Now he's ignoring my texts. This is just a weird situation and I feel like asking my friend for this girls' number because she's obviously being used and I feel like someone should tell her. Also, I feel like part of him is dating her to make me jealous because I always used to talk about how I regretted not finishing college etc and now all of a sudden he's with a woman with good education/career?

If he was paying for everything while you were with him does that mean you were using him? Would you have been with him if he wasn't?

There may be some dating stereotypes at play here. Either way whether or not it should be this way or that way I would avoid getting involved in 'their' relationship. It is probably going to get pretty ugly if you get involved, she may likely not take kindly to it. It's her life and up to her what she does. You could be assuming stuff about the relationship the wrong way potentially. Either way I would let it go and move on. From what you have written you still seem to have too much invested in this ex relationship. It can be hard to refocus but you must try and forget about this guy and what he is now up to. Focus instead on yourself and your life and try to find happiness there.

Looking out for others is all very admirable but I don't see her (or him) taking it well if you get involved. It will be too easy to paint you as the jilted envious ex to his now girlfriend or something similar. Each of us have to be responsible for our own lives so I would just ignore it and go and live your life.
Reply 3
Not to sound rude, I don’t think it is your place to be mingling someone else’s relationship. You can advice your friend, who knows the girlfriend, about your suspicions but other than that, you should mind your own business. I’m sure the girlfriend can discern if someone is using her for her money, if not, this shouldn’t be your issue. You telling the girlfriend that she’s being used for her money would just make you look like a jealous bitter ex girlfriend who likes stirring the pot.
Reply 4
This sounds like a troll post. I think your ex is doing much better without you, which you can't complain about when you chose to end the relationship. He's done well to move on so successfully after being dumped. Seems like you used him for his money as well.
Original post by Anonymous

The only weird part of this is your attitude. It is indeed absolutely none of your business.
Reply 6
Be happy for his good fortune

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending