The Student Room Group

How competitive is PCDA?

Does anyone know roughly how competitive the PCDA (Police Constable Degree Apprentiship)? I know it must vary across areas but vaguely how hard is it to get accepted?

I know there is a shortage of police officers but at the same time I feel like a lot of people will apply to this...

If anyone could shed light on this I would be grateful, thanks.
Reply 1
The shortage of officers is so critical that you should just be in. Obviously, larger forces will have larger intakes.

This doesn't necessarily mean the process will be any quicker, though.
Reply 2
Original post by Trinculo
The shortage of officers is so critical that you should just be in. Obviously, larger forces will have larger intakes.

This doesn't necessarily mean the process will be any quicker, though.

Oh ok thank you, I thought it would be quite competitive as there are quite a lot of interviews you have to go through... maybe this is more for vetting purposes.
Reply 3
Original post by 200emabro
Oh ok thank you, I thought it would be quite competitive as there are quite a lot of interviews you have to go through... maybe this is more for vetting purposes.

I'm in the Met, not in Essex police, but on the whole, I don't think police recruitment is like that. Everything is competency based so usually there is little or no examination as to your motivations or direct experience.
Reply 4
I'm in the Met, not in Essex police, but on the whole, I don't think police recruitment is like that. Everything is competency based so usually there is little or no examination as to your motivations or direct experience.

ok thank you

How difficult is the in force final interview ? I have passed the OAC and was looking into transferring results from the GMP to the MET.
Original post by aspiringconstab
How difficult is the in force final interview ? I have passed the OAC and was looking into transferring results from the GMP to the MET.

I don't know as things have changed so much since I joined. I would expect that it's rather straightforward nowadays and getting into Met shouldn't be beyond anyone. Last I was aware they were still doing entirely competency based testing with actors and were asked to do a series of roleplays dealing with minor situations rather than any actual interview. So it might be talking to a teenager with behavioural problems and trying to encourage them to divert from their course rather than "Why do you want to do this job?" or "Where do you see yourself in 10 years" type stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending