The Student Room Group

Glasgow vs Strathclyde (LAW)

Hello! It’s my first time posting on here but I can’t decide! I’m a Scottish student and have received offers to both Glasgow (conditional) and Strathclyde (unconditional) for Scot’s law- both of which are tied as my fist choice. I realise that Glasgow has the better Global reputation and has a beautiful campus, but I have read on here that it can be unwelcoming to first years and can be very clique, whereas Strathclyde has a slightly lesser reputation for law, and a less traditional campus but is apparently better in that sorta social aspect? And more diverse. I’m just looking for advice and experiences from anyone who has heard anything about or been to either university who is willing to help here because I’m so indecisive :frown:
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by L1ly_pt
Hello! It’s my first time posting on here but I can’t decide! I’m a Scottish student and have received offers to both Glasgow (conditional) and Strathclyde (unconditional) for Scot’s law- both of which are tied as my fist choice. I realise that Glasgow has the better Global reputation and has a beautiful campus, but I have read on here that it can be unwelcoming to first years and can be very clique, whereas Strathclyde has a slightly lesser reputation for law, and a less traditional campus but is apparently better in that sorta social aspect? And more diverse. I’m just looking for advice and experiences from anyone who has heard anything about or been to either university who is willing to help here because I’m so indecisive :frown:

i’m just wondering what your grades were. I’m waiting on a reply from Glasgow and also have an unconditional from Strath :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by L1ly_pt

I'm interested to see if you get any replies to your question as well. We really like Strathclyde and the offer holders day on Saturday was brilliant. My daughter also has an offer for Glasgow and I do think that she will choose there - it's always been her no 1 choice but there are some definite plus points for Strathclyde.

The student accommodation all being on campus is amazing. The modules throughout the degree look great and I like that they focus on social policy aspects. Both are highly rated law schools and it is a difficult choice.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by anonymous8876
i’m just wondering what your grades were. I’m waiting on a reply from Glasgow and also have an unconditional from Strath :smile:

I received AAAAB at higher and am predicted AAB at advanced higher! But I also went to a target school and got leaps so that likely had something to do with it! 😌
Original post by L1ly_pt
I received AAAAB at higher and am predicted AAB at advanced higher! But I also went to a target school and got leaps so that likely had something to do with it! 😌

leaps as in the like one time session, but you can contact them with queries? 😁
Reply 5
leaps as in the like one time session, but you can contact them with queries? 😁

It’s like a flag that gets put on your application stating that you went to a target school, are first gen, live in a deprived postcode (below SIMD 2), and/ or other things along those lines. There is a sort of interview for it but it mainly just gets you slightly lower entry requirements from unis!
Original post by L1ly_pt
It’s like a flag that gets put on your application stating that you went to a target school, are first gen, live in a deprived postcode (below SIMD 2), and/ or other things along those lines. There is a sort of interview for it but it mainly just gets you slightly lower entry requirements from unis!

ahh, okay. I’m a young carer so i think that’s similar as it’s also WP. Did you complete reach ect? :smile:
Reply 7
ahh, okay. I’m a young carer so i think that’s similar as it’s also WP. Did you complete reach ect? :smile:

Yeah that comes under leaps so you should have gotten the flag! I’m not entirely sure what reach is, but I’ve heard it’s sorta the same thing as leaps? So maybeeeee?
Original post by L1ly_pt
Yeah that comes under leaps so you should have gotten the flag! I’m not entirely sure what reach is, but I’ve heard it’s sorta the same thing as leaps? So maybeeeee?

praying i’ll get an offer soon 🤞🏻🤞🏻
I firmed Glasgow last night (conditional) and put strathclyde as my insurance (unconditional) and I'm also Scottish. I know people who go to both and both have positives and negatives tbh.

I'd be wary of choosing because of cliques or whatever, you can get that anywhere really. Have you been to any open days? Which course looks like it would suit you better? That's what I based my decision on as even people I know who go there and have opinions may not have the same experience I do iykwim.
Reply 10
Original post by MollieMcKezie
I firmed Glasgow last night (conditional) and put strathclyde as my insurance (unconditional) and I'm also Scottish. I know people who go to both and both have positives and negatives tbh.
I'd be wary of choosing because of cliques or whatever, you can get that anywhere really. Have you been to any open days? Which course looks like it would suit you better? That's what I based my decision on as even people I know who go there and have opinions may not have the same experience I do iykwim.

Congrats on your offers and I’m sure you’ll love Glasgow, hey maybe I’ll see you there! See the problem is I only managed to get to the Glasgow open day as I couldn’t get off work for the Strathclyde one, which makes it harder because I feel like i didn’t get to see if strath would have been a good fit for me and don’t want to miss out on anything or potentially feel like I’ve made the ‘wrong’ decision. as for the cliques thing I was just going off of what I’ve heard on here- (which is mostly from very old threads), but I know it can happen anywhere sadly!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending