The Student Room Group

GCSE! Music dilemma. Food, Graphics, Media and Music GCSE info would be helpful.

Hey! So I’m choosing my GCSEs on Monday 25, and im really not sure, i need a second opinion, from students rather than parents/teachers.

So! I am a cellist. I am really good at cello, i have been playing for a long time and i know the instrument very well. My music teachers have been pestering me since year 7 to do the gcse. I am at the time of the performance, going to be grade 6-7. Our school’s standard of piece is grade 4, so it would be an easy 100% on the performance part, just a turn up, Bach’s cello suite no1 and boom! A grade 9. (Just joking, i know it’s harder than that) However, im really terrible at composing and music software e.g GarageBand, which we have used these last few years. I despise GarageBand, but are other music apps the same? What do you guys use for making pieces/composing?? I really do have a passion for cello, but maybe not gcse music?? Thoughts?

Also if someone could explain what happens in a graphics gcse and what happens in media gcse, also what happens in food, that would be super kind! <33 :biggrin:D
(edited 1 month ago)
I did GCSE music and was absolutely crap at composing and I still managed to come out with a 7. I used musescore for my composition which may be easier for you because you are composing on a score rather than however garageband/bandlab works.

I was of a grade 5 standard on clarinet when I did my performance and I came out with a really good mark for it. On a different note one my grade 6 pieces was from suite no. 4 of Bach's cello solos.

I don't know anything about the other subjects you are asking about.
Reply 2
Original post by cheddarchomper
Hey! So I’m choosing my GCSEs on Monday 25, and im really not sure, i need a second opinion, from students rather than parents/teachers.
So! I am a cellist. I am really good at cello, i have been playing for a long time and i know the instrument very well. My music teachers have been pestering me since year 7 to do the gcse. I am at the time of the performance, going to be grade 6-7. Our school’s standard of piece is grade 4, so it would be an easy 100% on the performance part, just a turn up, Bach’s cello suite no1 and boom! A grade 9. (Just joking, i know it’s harder than that) However, im really terrible at composing and music software e.g GarageBand, which we have used these last few years. I despise GarageBand, but are other music apps the same? What do you guys use for making pieces/composing?? I really do have a passion for cello, but maybe not gcse music?? Thoughts?
Also if someone could explain what happens in a graphics gcse and what happens in media gcse, also what happens in food, that would be super kind! <33 :biggrin:D
you can get very high marks in performing (30% of GCSE in edexcel), knowing that if your piece is harder like above grade 5 standard the marks will be much more lenient. composing you have to just record your ideas, it was difficult but once I finished the first composition I did the second very quickly. appraisal is just practice, getting familiar with the pieces

Quick Reply

Latest