The Student Room Group

Afraid of plagarizing gcse music composition (ocr)

Hiya

I'm currently doing a blues jazzy kinda piece.

I'm afraid of plagarizing by accident and everytime I make up a tune it sounds like I have heard it before but I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid. My piano teacher says inspo is fine but I'm still worried.

The deadline is later this year by October half term. I have already emailed my teachers about this but as its the holidays idk if they will reply at all, I hope they do on results day hopefully😬

They said they will keep in touch with us to make sure we don't fall behind. My main fear is composing it rlly well only to find out I have copied someone else. And composing 2 pieces is time consuming unless I can. As aft the holidays I will barely have time to compose hence why the holidays are a good chance for me to get pretty much all the work done.

Also, how far do they moderate? As Ik that music in general there is sampling, inspo etc so similarities can be found.

Sorry for the rambling I'm just really anxious
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Don't worry about whether you think you have heard it before. I think it is more if it has been directly copied from another piece of music. If you have finished your composition and realise it is the same as something you have heard before or your teacher thinks it will be too risky I'm sure they will be willing to help you compose another piece either by taking you out of lessons to do it or extending the deadline. I do believe (unless the exam board I had is different) that coursework isn't due in until may of year 11. The music is also listened to by like 2 or 3 teachers normally before its sent off to be moderated so don't worry.
Reply 2
Original post by emthemem
Don't worry about whether you think you have heard it before. I think it is more if it has been directly copied from another piece of music. If you have finished your composition and realise it is the same as something you have heard before or your teacher thinks it will be too risky I'm sure they will be willing to help you compose another piece either by taking you out of lessons to do it or extending the deadline. I do believe (unless the exam board I had is different) that coursework isn't due in until may of year 11. The music is also listened to by like 2 or 3 teachers normally before its sent off to be moderated so don't worry.

Okay thank you. It's just that we have a lot ig to do so the teachers set the deadline earlier so they have time to do everything else and not let our performances/compositions clash and with other subjects

Quick Reply

Latest