The Student Room Group

Time for Erik Ten Hag to be sacked?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Driving_Mad
@bj27 Man thinks this is Football Manager.

Yeah my man is tapped.
Reply 21
I think the 25% sale to Jim Ratcliffe is meant to be close? And Ratcliffe is going to get control of football operations. But Man Utd won't get better overnight with new owners so who will fans blame then?
Original post by Zerforax
I think the 25% sale to Jim Ratcliffe is meant to be close? And Ratcliffe is going to get control of football operations. But Man Utd won't get better overnight with new owners so who will fans blame then?

I would presume any new football operations owner would take a little bit of a while before they were willing to commit to a huge decision like sacking the manager who has bought in so many of 'his own' players. I would be shocked if Ten Hag doesn't last the season and I'd be shocked if he starts next season as manager.
Reply 23
Original post by Evil Homer
I would presume any new football operations owner would take a little bit of a while before they were willing to commit to a huge decision like sacking the manager who has bought in so many of 'his own' players. I would be shocked if Ten Hag doesn't last the season and I'd be shocked if he starts next season as manager.

I mean new owners love a big decision to show they are in charge.

Ratcliffe will be looking at options for new manager as we speak. Especially if they want to spend in January. I wouldn't be surprised if ETH gets sacked after Sunday's game!
Ten Hag isn't the problem, it's the poor structure around him. Even if we were to sack him, there's nobody in the world who'd be able to fix this team.

Firstly, there is no director of football or ceo, our recruitmement and scouting is shocking, we have terrible medical staff (as seen with licha and malacia) and the glazers refuse to invest in the club. We are over a billion in debt and need new owners ASAP. Even with Sir Jim, we can't really do much since he only owns 25% and isn't made of money like Qatar. Qatar would've paid the debt, refurbished the stadium and bought another 6 players which we need.

The Glazers are problem
Reply 25
Original post by srichandmyneni
Ten Hag isn't the problem, it's the poor structure around him. Even if we were to sack him, there's nobody in the world who'd be able to fix this team.

Firstly, there is no director of football or ceo, our recruitmement and scouting is shocking, we have terrible medical staff (as seen with licha and malacia) and the glazers refuse to invest in the club. We are over a billion in debt and need new owners ASAP. Even with Sir Jim, we can't really do much since he only owns 25% and isn't made of money like Qatar. Qatar would've paid the debt, refurbished the stadium and bought another 6 players which we need.

The Glazers are problem

Quite a few managers who have high opinons of themselves want more power therefore prefer that there is no director of football etc.
Richard Arnold is the current CEO of Man Utd (he replaced Ed Woodward in 2022) although he is stepping down in the near future too.
Even after the Glazers take out their dividends and interest payments on the ownership debt, Man Utd still have more to spend than most clubs. They spend that badly so why would having more money to waste make it any better? So you can buy another Jadon Sancho / Antony?

Ten Hag is massively out of his depth. No real track record other than some nice football at Ajax. Where the structure probably deserves more credit than he claimed.
As a non-utd fan I find it somewhat amusing.

However the real problem seems to be one from the top and the club goal which the directors work towards is not aligned to that of the fans or manager.

Utd is owned by a foreign consortium who use the annual revenues as a stipend for them to live a luxurious life abroad and relish “owning” and bragging about the history to non-football fans on California golf courses & wine bars. Every 2 years they come over spend some money on a big signing say they are listening then 12 months later sack the manager when the form isn’t good enough.

The reality is man utd board doesn’t want systematic & infrastructural upheaval when they themselves are earning tremendous money and as such the manager doesn’t have a full tool kit, the owners are happy as long as they have enough cash coming in to live their life of luxury. The culture has decayed, Ronaldo & Mourinho both outlined the issues. Managers aren’t free to do so whilst they are employed and are forced to attempt to band aid over culture issues with big name signings every few years to build hype.
Quite a few managers who have high opinons of themselves want more power therefore prefer that there is no director of football etc.
Richard Arnold is the current CEO of Man Utd (he replaced Ed Woodward in 2022) although he is stepping down in the near future too.
Even after the Glazers take out their dividends and interest payments on the ownership debt, Man Utd still have more to spend than most clubs. They spend that badly so why would having more money to waste make it any better? So you can buy another Jadon Sancho / Antony?

Ten Hag is massively out of his depth. No real track record other than some nice football at Ajax. Where the structure probably deserves more credit than he claimed.

Managers aren't meant to scout players themselves, they have a structure around them including a good CEO and recruitment team to find players the manager has described.
I'm unsure what you're on about since big teams with big managers such as Liverpool and Man City all have sporting directors.
Mourinho has made it clear that he had to buy certain kinds of players. For example, he didn't want Pogba, but we almost spent 100 million on him. Also, it's well known that we significantly overpay for players and give them stupid wages which is the reason we spend more than other clubs, again down to poor infrastructure.
Original post by mnot
As a non-utd fan I find it somewhat amusing.

However the real problem seems to be one from the top and the club goal which the directors work towards is not aligned to that of the fans or manager.

Utd is owned by a foreign consortium who use the annual revenues as a stipend for them to live a luxurious life abroad and relish “owning” and bragging about the history to non-football fans on California golf courses & wine bars. Every 2 years they come over spend some money on a big signing say they are listening then 12 months later sack the manager when the form isn’t good enough.

The reality is man utd board doesn’t want systematic & infrastructural upheaval when they themselves are earning tremendous money and as such the manager doesn’t have a full tool kit, the owners are happy as long as they have enough cash coming in to live their life of luxury. The culture has decayed, Ronaldo & Mourinho both outlined the issues. Managers aren’t free to do so whilst they are employed and are forced to attempt to band aid over culture issues with big name signings every few years to build hype.

Completely agree
Reply 29
Managers aren't meant to scout players themselves, they have a structure around them including a good CEO and recruitment team to find players the manager has described.
I'm unsure what you're on about since big teams with big managers such as Liverpool and Man City all have sporting directors.
Mourinho has made it clear that he had to buy certain kinds of players. For example, he didn't want Pogba, but we almost spent 100 million on him. Also, it's well known that we significantly overpay for players and give them stupid wages which is the reason we spend more than other clubs, again down to poor infrastructure.

You contradict yourself there. First you say a DoF/structure should decide on the players then you say Mourinho should have been able to refuse Pogba. So which is it? Either DoF or manager has the power. Either way, Ten Hag wanted to bring in players like Onana and Antony but his choices have been poor.

The wasting of money isn't due to poor infrastructure. It's because short term decisions are constantly made to appease the fans. The clubs that spend more sensibly have more options so if one player becomes overpriced/bidding war then they can move onto 2nd choice. You saw that with Liverpool this summer where they wanted Mount but then Man Utd came in with bigger transfer fee and wages so Liverpool moved on to sign Szoboszlai instead.
You contradict yourself there. First you say a DoF/structure should decide on the players then you say Mourinho should have been able to refuse Pogba. So which is it? Either DoF or manager has the power. Either way, Ten Hag wanted to bring in players like Onana and Antony but his choices have been poor.

The wasting of money isn't due to poor infrastructure. It's because short term decisions are constantly made to appease the fans. The clubs that spend more sensibly have more options so if one player becomes overpriced/bidding war then they can move onto 2nd choice. You saw that with Liverpool this summer where they wanted Mount but then Man Utd came in with bigger transfer fee and wages so Liverpool moved on to sign Szoboszlai instead.

Sorry, what I meant was that the manager gives their recruitment team a type of player and then the scouts find that player with the attributes that the manager wants.
Reply 31
Sorry, what I meant was that the manager gives their recruitment team a type of player and then the scouts find that player with the attributes that the manager wants.

That might be necessary for smaller clubs but Man Utd have the financial muscle to buy all but a handful of the best players (which you can see from the kind of transfer fees paid and wages offered to several signings over the last decade).

Do you really need a scouting team to find the likes of Mount, Onana, Antony, Casemiro, Sancho, Varane etc?
That might be necessary for smaller clubs but Man Utd have the financial muscle to buy all but a handful of the best players (which you can see from the kind of transfer fees paid and wages offered to several signings over the last decade).

Do you really need a scouting team to find the likes of Mount, Onana, Antony, Casemiro, Sancho, Varane etc?

That's the point, we should have a scouting team so we don't need to buy expensive players. We're in shedloads of debt, so we can't afford them in the long run. The Glazers don't care though so proceed to financially ruin the club.
Reply 33
That's the point, we should have a scouting team so we don't need to buy expensive players. We're in shedloads of debt, so we can't afford them in the long run. The Glazers don't care though so proceed to financially ruin the club.

The debt is easily serviced by the massive revenues of Man Utd. You can still outspend most other clubs that aren't state owned. The point is usually that with better owners / no debt, Man Utd would have even more money to chase success.

I can't imagine the owners make the day to day decisions. Their main mistake seems to be hiring the wrong people in the top executive positions and then short term decisions being made throughout the club which are often the wrong ones.

Man utd isn’t financially ruined, it’s worth noting the debt is approximately a little over one year’s revenue at around $1bn, so utd have more then enough cashflow to service the costs of the debt, and the market cap is in excess of $3bn so the club could easily wipe the debt tomorrow simply by issuing new shares (it’s worth noting the market capitalisation likely has already factored in the controlling stake of Glazers and the debt-assets in the current share price so there is actually room for price growth even if they did reduce value shareholders equity with a new stock issuing).

Of course the Glazers have a controlling stake and no intention of reducing there equity percentage. So it’s simply a matter of choice.

Despite this united still have plenty of cash in hand to make moves in the market. I don’t believe transfer budget is limiting performance, more the cultural and business goals.
He's got to go if they don't get CL this season. Build next summer.
You lot still want Ten Hag out??
Shocking manager with zero charisma. If the ownership situation was sorted, he would be long gone.
Original post by almost_there
Shocking manager with zero charisma. If the ownership situation was sorted, he would be long gone.

Why does a manager have to be charismatic?
Why does a manager have to be charismatic?

So his players can buy into what he is trying to get them to do. Basic leadership requirement. Name me a great manager who wasn't charismatic. My mate is a Madrid fan and he told me that Ancelotti's eyebrow has more charisma than Ten hag and he is right.

Quick Reply

Latest