The Student Room Group

Supercurricular Law Activities

Hello! I'm a first year A Level student aiming to do Law at Oxbridge, atm I'm doing English Lang&Lit, History Law and Welsh Baccalaureate as my A levels. I've just applied for Pathways to Law with Sutton Trust, LEDLET summer scheme and the UNIQ programme. I'll also be applying to Cambrige Uni and Jesus College residential summer school in January with the Seren Academy Programme as I'm from Wales. I'm hoping to get any opportunity to broaden my personal statement and such!
This Summer (2023) I went to the New College Oxford Summer school when I was year 11 and it's inspired me to do much more, especially after I learnt about supercurriculars. I wanted some advice to what I could do as supercurriculars in law?
I was thinking of planning work experience next year with a local lawyer or contacting a barrister. Is there anything else I could do?
Thank you so much!
Reply 1
Original post by lunaticace
Hello! I'm a first year A Level student aiming to do Law at Oxbridge, atm I'm doing English Lang&Lit, History Law and Welsh Baccalaureate as my A levels. I've just applied for Pathways to Law with Sutton Trust, LEDLET summer scheme and the UNIQ programme. I'll also be applying to Cambrige Uni and Jesus College residential summer school in January with the Seren Academy Programme as I'm from Wales. I'm hoping to get any opportunity to broaden my personal statement and such!
This Summer (2023) I went to the New College Oxford Summer school when I was year 11 and it's inspired me to do much more, especially after I learnt about supercurriculars. I wanted some advice to what I could do as supercurriculars in law?
I was thinking of planning work experience next year with a local lawyer or contacting a barrister. Is there anything else I could do?
Thank you so much!

Try to watch a few court cases in person for your personal statement and make sure to give your views about it. I think it would be good to show you are interested in different ways. (You can go to any court for free and watch any open case)
Hey i also applied to LEDLET have you heared anything back yet?
I went to the Seren Cambridge residential! Have you applied to the SMF Employer Insight?
Hi ive just seen this Im in year 11 and will be going to college in south wales. Please could you tell me more about the seren program and what is like? Also, how many A* do you have to achive to be applicable for it. Thanks!!
Reply 5
Original post by gracewaza
I went to the Seren Cambridge residential! Have you applied to the SMF Employer Insight?

Oh wow! That's great! I haven't applied for the programme you mentioned, a shame!
Original post by Gracegarden
Hi ive just seen this Im in year 11 and will be going to college in south wales. Please could you tell me more about the seren program and what is like? Also, how many A* do you have to achive to be applicable for it. Thanks!!

5 A* i believe in my college its mostly just a way of making people aware of super/extra curricular and some trips but its for high achieving students (targeted a lot towards RGs and oxbridge/ medicine applicants )
Original post by Gracegarden

My college wanted 6A * s (only 7 of us are in it), but I think it varies what your school wants. I'd aim for about 6 though just to be safe. I've heard of some people who's schools only needed 6 As, so I don't know exactly how it works now 😂

It gives lots of opportunities for year 12 and 13 students, used to for younger years too but it's dwindling a bit. Like year 12 you can apply to a few free summer schools. There are so many webinars. Mentoring opportunities, some day trips or taster days, for some admission tests they have practice sessions and mock interviews. I'd really recommend trying to smash your gcses to get into it (although if you don't get in there are many similar opportunities you can find online).
Thank you so much!
Have you heard back from the oxford seren one yet?
(edited 2 weeks ago)
Reply 9
Original post by study23!
Have you heard back from the oxford seren one yet?

No I haven't!! Not yet, anyways.
No I haven't!! Not yet, anyways.

Neither and it’s making me anxious (although I got rejected from the Cambridge and Cardiff ones so my hopes are low). 😭

I’d keep an eye on Seren space in general for law, they had some events on it a while back so maybe they’ll do some more soon.
Original post by study23!
Neither and it’s making me anxious (although I got rejected from the Cambridge and Cardiff ones so my hopes are low). 😭
I’d keep an eye on Seren space in general for law, they had some events on it a while back so maybe they’ll do some more soon.

Don't worry! I hope you'll get that spot in Jesus College, it'd be a great experience for you. I'll keep an eye out on seren, thank you.
Don't worry! I hope you'll get that spot in Jesus College, it'd be a great experience for you. I'll keep an eye out on seren, thank you.

Thank you, I hope you get it too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending