The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University 2023 Applicant thread

SL_LancsUni_Jun22_SLV_2716_HR.jpg

This is the official Lancaster University 2023 Applicant thread.

Welcome!

This thread is a good place to begin when exlporing Lancaster University on The Student Room. It's not supposed to replace our website (https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/) or our guide (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/guides/lancaster-university). Those are good places to go to for lots of general (and sometimes very specific) information about the university.

This thread is for students applying to Lancaster University for entry in 2023 to ask questions that you'd like our team to answer. Our team here is nearly all current students (called ambassadors, here), and they will either answer directly, or go away and find out the answer to some particularly tricky question. Either way, you will always get a reply.

It's also a good place to get to 'meet' other students interested in studying at Lancaster. It's never too early to start connecting with people who might be your fellow first years.

It's meant to be useful, so from time to time we'll post updates that we think you'll like.

Application deadlines that you should be aware of:

6 September 2022: Completed 2023 entry UCAS Undergraduate applications can be submitted to UCAS.

15 October 2022 (18:00 UK time): 2023 entry deadline for Lancaster Medical School

25 January 2023 (18:00 UK time): 2023 entry deadline for all UCAS Undergraduate and Conservatoires applications, except for those courses with a 15 October deadline.

And finally, on this first day of starting the thread - a video tour of Lancaster University.

[video]https://youtu.be/ES5VVLtoRt8[/video]

Scroll to see replies

Hi there, my name's Yasmin and I'm going into my third year studying Fine Art at Lancaster. I know it can be quite overwhelming looking at and applying to universities and there can be a lot to think about!

Myself and a group of other student ambassadors will be on here throughout the application process and will be more than happy to answer any questions about what it's like to study at Lancaster :smile:

No question is a silly question- when I visited Lancaster on an open day I asked a student ambassador giving me a tour whether there were ever any swans on campus as I'm terrified (thankfully there are only ducks!)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Hi everyone!
I am Kat and I am going into my 3rd year of studying Criminology here at Lancaster Uni and I am also part of the Women's Rugby team here. As Yasmin has said, we all understand how overwhelming applying to uni can be, but we want to help where possible! Whether that's course questions, accommodation, application questions, or anything, we will try our best to help!
Hello everyone!

I'm Rebecca and I'm just about to start my second year of Biochemistry at Lancaster. I was in your position not too long ago and I know how stressful it is! We have other threads on here which allow you to ask any questions to the admissions team or an ambassador like us.

As Kat and Yasmin have mentioned please feel free to ask us anything! We're here to help! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi everyone!
Just thought I would introduce myself as well. I'm Eloise and am about to start my third year at Lancaster studying Psychology. I was very nervous about the idea of going to university but have ended up having an amazing time!
Myself and the other ambassadors would love to answer any questions you have about university applications and life at Lancaster. :smile:
Hi everyone!

I'm Tineke and I have just graduated in Physics. I was a member of Furness College and Lancaster University Doctor Who society (WhoSoc). I'll be returning to Lancaster in the autumn to start a PhD which is very exciting :smile:

If anybody considering applying to join Lancaster in 2023 has any questions at all, feel free to ask us Student Ambassadors here! I hadn't heard of Lancaster before I started applying but I'm glad I found it as it's been a great fit for me :smile:

- Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi guys :smile:
I can actually add to this as the youngest daughter is now an applicant for 2023 to Lancaster :biggrin:

Course - Zoology BSC
Alevels taking - Psychology, Geography and Biology
Predicted A*AB
Unis applying to - Lancaster, Chester, Reading, Lincoln and Bangor
Why Lancaster? - Her eldest sister studies physics there (now 3rd year) so she knows the uni very well and loves the way the campus is laid out its facilities, and what zoology has to offer. She also loves the city as well.
Original post by Ghostlady
Hi guys :smile:
I can actually add to this as the youngest daughter is now an applicant for 2023 to Lancaster :biggrin:

Course - Zoology BSC
Alevels taking - Psychology, Geography and Biology
Predicted A*AB
Unis applying to - Lancaster, Chester, Reading, Lincoln and Bangor
Why Lancaster? - Her eldest sister studies physics there (now 3rd year) so she knows the uni very well and loves the way the campus is laid out its facilities, and what zoology has to offer. She also loves the city as well.

Hi @Ghostlady thanks for kicking off the thread and giving others ideas of what they can include to introduce themselves :smile:

Best of luck to your daughter with her UCAS application :smile:

- Tineke
Do you take A-level resits?
Original post by Blablu
Do you take A-level resits?

Hi @Blablu!

We take A-level resits for all subjects.

If it's for medicine, resits can be accepted but, we will need to look at GCSEs and the first-time round A Level results. All the details are on the website but if you're still unsure you can drop us an email at [email protected]

Hope this helps!

- Tineke
Hi!

I'm Laura and I'm going into my third year at Lancaster studying Media and Cultural Studies! This course was actually my minor in first year, with my degree being in Drama, Theatre and Performance. If you have any questions about either of these courses, or about the minor system and switching your minor to your main degree course let me know.
I am also a member of Bowland College and have previously been on the JCR Exec for Bowland, so I can also answer questions you have about the college and its accommodation - as well as what life in Lancaster is like and what it is like to move into town for second and third year!

- Laura (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 11
Can I ask how much contact time there is per week for MPhysics? Not just the first year, considering possibilities of living at home or in halls.
Original post by Ezbe55
Can I ask how much contact time there is per week for MPhysics? Not just the first year, considering possibilities of living at home or in halls.

My daughter studies MPhys. From what I gather she has roughly around 25 hours contact time and 15 independant study depending on the term as it changes. If your living at home, you probably have to consider commuting most days and should there be a gap in lessons, plus some labs dont finish till 5pm.
Its worth weighing up pros and cons, such as time + train fare, versus living in halls. For physics Id say halls is best. Its a full on degree, its not like you have one or two contact hours a week.
Reply 13
Thanks @Ghostlady it’s good to have a ballpark idea. I was guessing somewhere around 20-30 hours, halls are definitely the preferred option, but am looking to future costs having a negative effect. Commuting is doable otherwise.
Thankfully Lancaster doesn’t seem to have the accommodation problems of St Andrew’s, York and a few others I’ve been keeping a watch in over the last couple of years.
Original post by Ezbe55
Thanks @Ghostlady it’s good to have a ballpark idea. I was guessing somewhere around 20-30 hours, halls are definitely the preferred option, but am looking to future costs having a negative effect. Commuting is doable otherwise.
Thankfully Lancaster doesn’t seem to have the accommodation problems of St Andrew’s, York and a few others I’ve been keeping a watch in over the last couple of years.

Your welcome. Standard accomodation is cheaper than other halls prices ive seen so its worth looking at. She would go to the city centre around twice a week from campus. Second year accomodation was landlord owned and hers was £105per week for 51 weeks (jn the centre of the city) and it was about £300 for a bus pass for the three terms (ending 1st of july). You could do halls for first year, and then come around december /January time be in the position of either finding somewhere cheap enough with your new friends (make sure bills are included), or if its too expensive to then commute in second year.
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello everyone!

I'm Rebecca and I'm just about to start my second year of Biochemistry at Lancaster. I was in your position not too long ago and I know how stressful it is! We have other threads on here which allow you to ask any questions to the admissions team or an ambassador like us.

As Kat and Yasmin have mentioned please feel free to ask us anything! We're here to help! :smile:

Hi I’m wanting to study biochemistry- how are you finding the course, are your modules you’re interested in available to do, did your predicteds exceed the advertised entry grade?
Hi everyone!

I'm Maria and I'm a fourth-year English Literature, Creative Writing and Practice student. I've just come back from my placement year abroad and looking forward to starting my fourth year in Lancaster again.

I've been a member of Cartmel College Netball and Lancaster University Music Society. I love travelling, sport and exploring the local area - particularly the Lake District!

Like all the other ambassadors have said, if you have any questions about studying at Lancaster, please don't hesitate to ask! In the meantime, check out some of our digital content to get an idea of the university and all the things you can do alongside your degree.

- Maria :smile: (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Original post by Maddie57
Hi I’m wanting to study biochemistry- how are you finding the course, are your modules you’re interested in available to do, did your predicteds exceed the advertised entry grade?

Hey @Maddie57

I think I've seen you around on the student room before and commented on some of your other threads! Hi again! :smile:

My predicted grades did exceed the entry grades (A*AA), and I'm loving the course. I chose Lancaster because of the modules available, I really wanted the option to do a few pure chemistry modules because I loved chemistry at A level and Lancaster offers "pathways" (biochemistry, biomedicine, genetics: these basically control how much chemistry you do and then optional modules later on) which meant in my first year nearly half my modules were chemistry! All the biology modules are great too! The lecturers are really friendly and the coursework hasn't been too bad yet haha!

I went into a bit more detail on modules/coursework on this thread so I'll link it!
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7256703&p=97580279#post97580279

I hope I could help!
Rebecca :smile:
Original post by Ezbe55

Hi @Ezbe55!

The contact hours for physics will be high regardless of your year of study. I found that I was often on campus for lectures by 10 am ish and would leave by 4 or 5 pm on average. Of course, that would vary, sometimes you will have a 9 am lecture, other times you won't have anything on until the afternoon but could have a lecture finishing at 6 pm so it really depended on the day but on the whole I was on campus every weekday for a good chunk of the day. I found that this worked quite well for me personally though as I found it much easier to do work on campus compared to at home, there are fewer distractions. I loved the atrium in the department. It is a large open space on the ground floor of the department that has many large group tables. My friends and I would often sit there and work or have some lunch in between lectures, it was just a really nice environment.

With this in mind, I wouldn't really recommend commuting unless you live relatively close to Lancaster. As @Ghostlady has already helpfully pointed out the on-campus accommodation was slightly cheaper than at other universities I was considering back in 2018 (wow that makes me feel old haha!). Standard accommodation, which is one of the cheaper options on campus as you share bathrooms, is currently £116.90 per week on a 40-week contract. Most people will stay in on-campus accommodation in their first year and then usually move out for the second year and beyond. Off-campus accommodation tends to be a cheaper option with prices averaging around £95-105 per week, in my personal experience. Of course, on campus you have the convenience of being close to lectures and labs so living off campus you will also usually want to buy a student bus pass which appears to be on sale for £305 for the three terms of the next academic year.

For a bit more of a detailed breakdown of contact hours read on haha. In first year you'll have 3 modules on at once. These modules are 5 weeks long and there are 5 blocks of them across the year. You'll have lectures and workshops for these, usually 8-12 hours per week in first year, along with 3 hours of seminars and a 3-hour lab session (these were one afternoon a week in my experience). In later years the amount of lectures is roughly the same although you may only have two modules at once, it can vary depending on your stream (ie particle, astro etc.) and the optional modules you choose. I did general physics and in my second year, the lab sessions extended to a day in length rather than just an afternoon. In third year I had some optional modules and chose to do semiconductors and low temperature labs along with a particle physics group project that was based in the radiation lab. Finally, the fourth year is the MPhys year so I did 6 lecture modules and an extended research project. My project was lab based so I was in the labs a couple of days a week, basically anytime that I wasn't doing my worksheets or in a lecture!

Hope this helps! Feel free to let me know if you have any further questions, I should be around on here once a week :smile:

- Tineke
Lancaster Physics Graduate
Reply 19
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @Ezbe55!

The contact hours for physics will be high regardless of your year of study. I found that I was often on campus for lectures by 10 am ish and would leave by 4 or 5 pm on average. Of course, that would vary, sometimes you will have a 9 am lecture, other times you won't have anything on until the afternoon but could have a lecture finishing at 6 pm so it really depended on the day but on the whole I was on campus every weekday for a good chunk of the day. I found that this worked quite well for me personally though as I found it much easier to do work on campus compared to at home, there are fewer distractions. I loved the atrium in the department. It is a large open space on the ground floor of the department that has many large group tables. My friends and I would often sit there and work or have some lunch in between lectures, it was just a really nice environment.

With this in mind, I wouldn't really recommend commuting unless you live relatively close to Lancaster. As @Ghostlady has already helpfully pointed out the on-campus accommodation was slightly cheaper than at other universities I was considering back in 2018 (wow that makes me feel old haha!). Standard accommodation, which is one of the cheaper options on campus as you share bathrooms, is currently £116.90 per week on a 40-week contract. Most people will stay in on-campus accommodation in their first year and then usually move out for the second year and beyond. Off-campus accommodation tends to be a cheaper option with prices averaging around £95-105 per week, in my personal experience. Of course, on campus you have the convenience of being close to lectures and labs so living off campus you will also usually want to buy a student bus pass which appears to be on sale for £305 for the three terms of the next academic year.

For a bit more of a detailed breakdown of contact hours read on haha. In first year you'll have 3 modules on at once. These modules are 5 weeks long and there are 5 blocks of them across the year. You'll have lectures and workshops for these, usually 8-12 hours per week in first year, along with 3 hours of seminars and a 3-hour lab session (these were one afternoon a week in my experience). In later years the amount of lectures is roughly the same although you may only have two modules at once, it can vary depending on your stream (ie particle, astro etc.) and the optional modules you choose. I did general physics and in my second year, the lab sessions extended to a day in length rather than just an afternoon. In third year I had some optional modules and chose to do semiconductors and low temperature labs along with a particle physics group project that was based in the radiation lab. Finally, the fourth year is the MPhys year so I did 6 lecture modules and an extended research project. My project was lab based so I was in the labs a couple of days a week, basically anytime that I wasn't doing my worksheets or in a lecture!

Hope this helps! Feel free to let me know if you have any further questions, I should be around on here once a week :smile:

- Tineke
Lancaster Physics Graduate

Thanks, that’s really helpful. The travelling tbh wouldn’t be too far if off campus if it came to that, I just like to have all bases covered in advance should decisions have to be made.
On another note, can you name a few universities abroad where physics students have spent a year out? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending