The Student Room Group

Winter 2024 Anime Preview

Scroll to see replies

New page, I think? Bear with me while I try to get used to TSR's new look...

Majo to Yajuu (The Witch and the Beast) [content warning: explicit violence]

Those who are unlucky enough to get cursed by a witch only have two options for getting it removed: a loving kiss from 'Prince Charming' will do the trick, but anyone without such a soulmate will have to hope the witch has a change of heart and lifts it of their own accord. Guideau, a beastlike and violent girl, travels with a coffin-carrying mage named Ashaf, in search of the witch that cursed her. They arrive in a city where a witch is rumoured to reside, and quickly find her, adored and respected as the city's protector. But is this witch as benevolent as she seems? And what, if anything, will she know about Guideau's curse?

I'm already reading the manga for this one, so I knew I was going to enjoy it: a great dark fantasy setting, with an amusing main duo - always good when the voice actors match how I expected the characters would sound! I had hoped this would get picked up by a bigger animation studio, but Yokohama Animation Lab seem to have done an okay job here. Would recommend!

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GZJH3D8W8/the-witch-and-the-beast
(edited 3 months ago)
Gekkan Mousou Kagaku (Delusional Monthly Magazine)

Scientist Goro is obsessed with researching the sunken 'Mo Continent', long believed to be just a myth. But after he finds an artifact (or MOPart) that he feels proves that the land truly existed, his research papers are suddenly rejected. Undeterred, he heads for a small publishing company, whose monthly science magazine has featured Mo Continent material in the past. Unfortunately for him, their editor Taro can sense a creepy aura emanating from the MOPart, and wants nothing to do with it. Goro exits their office, but accidentally leaves his research behind. Shortly afterwards, the publishers receive a phone call from him, requesting urgent help - followed immediately by an explosion nearby! And things only get weirder from there...

So, a wacky comedy with dubious science, supernatural elements, and (as the screenshot depicts) anthro furry transformations! I had high hopes for this, but it didn't make me laugh, and neither the plot or the characters particularly interested me either. Also, the music and sound effects are really loud and weird. I'll put it down as a maybe, but hopefully I can find something better this season. [EDIT] Dropped.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/G8DHV78K4/delusional-monthly-magazine
(edited 3 months ago)
Bucchigiri?!

Tomoshibi Arajin has just transferred into a rough school full of delinquents, a lifestyle he wants nothing to do with. He would rather find a cute girlfriend and lose his virginity. As luck would have it, there is one beautiful girl in his class, who seems interested in him! Arajin is also reunited with a childhood friend there, though our protagonist seems to want to avoid him due to past drama. An encounter with a gang eventually sees him running away in his underwear, to take shelter in a dilapidated shrine. Inside, he finds a flintlock pistol, which he points at the approaching bullies, and fires... only for the bullet to ricochet and hit him in the head! Fortunately(?) for him, this bullet is not fatal - though it IS inhabited by a genie that only Arajin can see!

This episode had everything I was hoping for from yesterday's Gekkan Mousou Kagaku: bright colours, good comedy, interesting characters, and an intriguing plot. Bucchigiri?! just managed to present it all far better, and with fantastic music to boot. I also like the Arabian Nights theme it has going on. I'm far less of a fan of how Nazi-esque the two main gangs' logos are though, seems to be a theme with delinquent anime. :s:

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/G5PHNM985/bucchigiri
@AngryJellyfish

Did you have already watched really good funny animes, you can recommend without to hesitate? I am open for it.
Original post by Kallisto
@AngryJellyfish

Did you have already watched really good funny animes, you can recommend without to hesitate? I am open for it.

Delicious in Dungeon and Bucchigiri?! were the two that have made me laugh the most so far, I'd recommend either at this early stage. :yes:
Hikari no Ou S2 (The Fire Hunter S2)

A swarm of Fiends attack the Capital. Akira and Kanata fight off any they encounter, as does Touko, who seems to have developed deadly scythe skills out of nowhere - something that deeply troubles Akira. Very plot-heavy episode, with a few helpful recaps. Visually, it's still one of the strangest looking series of recent years, mixing gorgeous stills with animation of massively varying quality from scene to scene. Overall, very glad to see this continue!

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GJ0H7Q5X9/the-fire-hunter
And that's the last winter anime I'm planning to watch, for now at least, so the first episode impressions will end there for this season - unless there's any specific (non-sequel) series that anyone wants me to cover? If so, let me know, and I'll try and give it a look. :smile:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
As in adult cast? I can't vouch for whether its any good before it's aired, but Yubisaki to Renren (A Sign of Affection) would probably be your best bet this season.
im so late to this too, but yes it is amazing (personally) to anyone who wants to watch it

Quick Reply

Latest