The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

MPhil in the Ethics of AI, Data, and Algorithms 2024-25

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dranox
I got my offer yesterday! It's so nice to finally get the result! 😃 I'm so happy for all of the ones who got it. But I do realize that many of the people who didn't get it are no less amazing! It's simply a numbers game, many perfectly qualified candidates who would thrive in the program will not get a spot due to limited spots instead of not passing some sufficient threshold of academic ability required for succeeding in the program.

I also got some preliminary scholarship info, so I'm hopeful for some positive news!

Hit me up if you also have been accepted and want to connect! It would be great to stay in touch over other social media. I'm super excited to get to know other offer holders! 😀
congrats!! when you say preliminary scholarship info, do you mean from the department or another source of funding? either way massive congratulations!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 101
Original post by Anonymous #3
congrats!! when you say preliminary scholarship info, do you mean from the department or another source of funding? either way massive congratulations!
I am happy to provide more info privately. 🙂 Some people have already reached out to me.

I can share more publicly once some of those things come through.
Original post by Dranox
I am happy to provide more info privately. 🙂 Some people have already reached out to me.

I can share more publicly once some of those things come through.
completely understandable! :smile:
Reply 103
Have any offer-holders been accepted by colleges yet (other than Darwin)? I received my offer on 20 Feb and still waiting to hear from college. I put Hughes Hall as my first choice (I'm a 'mature' student).
Original post by RA138
Have any offer-holders been accepted by colleges yet (other than Darwin)? I received my offer on 20 Feb and still waiting to hear from college. I put Hughes Hall as my first choice (I'm a 'mature' student).
I'm a conditional offer holder and received an offer from Queens' College just a couple of days ago.
Reply 105
Original post by Anonymous #4
I'm a conditional offer holder and received an offer from Queens' College just a couple of days ago.
Congratulations, that's wonderful, a beautiful college. Looking forward to meeting.
Reply 106
Hi!

I just started a Whatsapp community for current offer holders.
We already have several people in the group.
So if any other offer holders want to join, then just message me!

Everyone is super friendly and looking forward to know each other, so don't miss out! 😃
I received my offer on Feb 19. Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Reply 108
Hey kianrii! You are welcome to join the whatsapp group for offer holders if you like. 😊 Just private message me if you wish to join.
Original post by Dranox
Hey kianrii! You are welcome to join the whatsapp group for offer holders if you like. 😊 Just private message me if you wish to join.
Hi @Dranox! I’d love to but my account is new so I can’t send DMs. Maybe you could send me one and I’ll share my number.
Hi all, and congrats to everyone who's received an offer!

I'm finishing up my Round 3 application this week, and I have a small query regarding the work sample aspect of the application. I sent an email through to the department but haven't heard back yet, so perhaps someone who's already applied can enlighten me.

Is it acceptable to submit a section of a longer undergraduate dissertation as a work sample, so that it's within the 2500-5000 word count constraint? It would be great if I could because it's a relevant, higher-marked piece of work, but it wouldn't technically be submitting a completed piece of work...

Thanks, and good luck to those also completing their applications :smile:)
Reply 111
Hey, I know of a person who did submit an excerpt of their longer work and got accepted, so it should be fine.

Good luck on your submission, hope to hear some good news from you soon!
Original post by Anonymous #11
I'm finishing up my Round 3 application this week, and I have a small query regarding the work sample aspect of the application. I sent an email through to the department but haven't heard back yet, so perhaps someone who's already applied can enlighten me.
Is it acceptable to submit a section of a longer undergraduate dissertation as a work sample, so that it's within the 2500-5000 word count constraint? It would be great if I could because it's a relevant, higher-marked piece of work, but it wouldn't technically be submitting a completed piece of work...
I submitted the abstract and one section of my undergrad thesis with a short explanation contextualising the section I’d chosen, and I got in! Good luck :smile:
Reply 113
Original post by Anonymous #11
Yes, I did this and received an offer. I think they explicitly say you can do this :smile: my undergraduate dissertation was 17,000 words somehow... managed to get it to around 4.5k for the sample.
Hi,

Has anyone from the March-June group heard back yet (or had their application status changed)? It is said on the course page that "majority of offer will be made in February and March", so I wonder whether not getting an offer in the last two months means that there is gonna to be a slight chance of getting an offer overall?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
Has anyone from the March-June group heard back yet (or had their application status changed)? It is said on the course page that "majority of offer will be made in February and March", so I wonder whether not getting an offer in the last two months means that there is gonna to be a slight chance of getting an offer overall?

Hey,
It seems that applying before the funding deadline (Dec 5th) might somewhat increase the chances of getting in, I believe the course director mentioned that she suggests applying by Dec 5th for this reason in her live meeting for applicants several months ago.
But as far as I know, there are several people in the first cohort who still got in applying by the Mar 26 deadline, so it's definitely possible to get an offer.
It's only been 4 weeks since the Mar 26 deadline and they will most likely only start looking at the pool of applicants after the deadline, so I think you need at least another 4-6 weeks before worrying. 😉
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

Let me add that they wrote on the website:

"Beginning of June - Applications from round 3 expect to have had a response"

So no worries, there's still quite a bit of time left for decisions to come out. :wink:
Hey guys I'm applying for its sister programme, just wondering does this programme also have Online interview sessions as well? Thanks!
Original post by Dranox
Let me add that they wrote on the website:
"Beginning of June - Applications from round 3 expect to have had a response"
So no worries, there's still quite a bit of time left for decisions to come out. :wink:

Cool thank you! That clarifies things. Seems like there is still gonna be a long time of waiting and panic🥶
Original post by aaandrew
Hey guys I'm applying for its sister programme, just wondering does this programme also have Online interview sessions as well? Thanks!

@aaandrew
There are no interviews for the MPhil (with rare exceptions related to funding), unlike the MSt, which does conduct interviews.

@Anonymous #14
Yeah, you still have a while. And for the previous rounds, they really announced it at the time that they said they would for a lot of people, so I think you should really not expect it before the first two weeks of June. But at least that means you can really let it go for a couple of weeks completely and make a reminder for the beg of June to potentially start panicking again. xD
I know the feeling very well, so good luck, I'm crossing my fingers for you! 🤞🍀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending