The Student Room Group

How many essay competitions/supercurriculars can I join? Any recs?

I'm looking to study archaeology/classics, and I'm going be to applying to Cambridge as one of my choices. I know that for Cambridge I can only do one of the Fitzwilliam essay competitions, but there's a competition on colonialism from Oxford (the Rex Nettleford Essay Prize) that actually looks really interesting, as well as the Mary Renault Prize. Can I do both as they're different universities or can I still only choose one?

It'd also be great if someone could let me know what extra curriculars would be good for these kind of subjects, I'm already learning Greek outside of college (at a basic level currently though) and doing some reading (Tom Holland's Persian Fire, scholarship for A level Classics) but any other recommendations would be most welcome. I do quite a lot of other hobbies, but they're not particularly related to the course (music etc).

Thank you mysterious all knowing peoples of the internet!
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by wouldliketosleep
I'm looking to study archaeology/classics, and I'm going be to applying to Cambridge as one of my choices. I know that for Cambridge I can only do one of the Fitzwilliam essay competitions, but there's a competition on colonialism from Oxford (the Rex Nettleford Essay Prize) that actually looks really interesting, as well as the Mary Renault Prize. Can I do both as they're different universities or can I still only choose one?

It'd also be great if someone could let me know what extra curriculars would be good for these kind of subjects, I'm already learning Greek outside of college (at a basic level currently though) and doing some reading (Tom Holland's Persian Fire, scholarship for A level Classics) but any other recommendations would be most welcome. I do quite a lot of other hobbies, but they're not particularly related to the course (music etc).

Thank you mysterious all knowing peoples of the internet!
I'm also applying for archaeology and I've found that some unis like you to do certain MOOCs (eg York gives applicants that do their MOOC on Star Carr a lower offer, similar to if you do an EPQ). I'm also entering the Fitzwilliam competition and also considering the Magdalene college humanities essay competition, though they haven't released the questions for this year yet. There's also the Emmanuel college langevity programme, which is like a taster in a bunch of different modern and dead languages and recommended for people that are applying to a language related course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending