The Student Room Group

Dissertation logbook

What exactly is a logbook? I've heard that it's just a diary, but what do we write in it??

Is it a list of things you did or will do that week? Or a detailed paragraph? Do you write the date and times?

Edit: I'm doing a biomedical science degree
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Caitxo
What exactly is a logbook?? I've heard that its just a diary but what do we write in it??

Is it a list of things that you did or will do that week? Or is it a paragraph ? Do you write the date and times?

So confused.

Hi @Caitxo ,

Which course are you studying?

I am doing Psychology so my dissertation might look a bit different from yours. We do not have logbooks so I am not familiar with what you have to do for it but I would seek guidance from a supervisor/tutor if you have one or a member of staff. There are no silly questions especially if you have not done a logbook before.

It is always better to get clarity from staff than students as even students misunderstand things (I know I definitely have!).

I do appreciate it is the Christmas holidays so you won't get a response soon from staff so I would say to make note somewhere of all the important decisions you make with your dissertation e.g. if you change the topic or direction you're going in, make a not of why just so you can remember. Then when you find out what you need to include you do not need to rely on your memory to inform you as this can often be really difficult.

I hope this helps and you find the answer to your question!

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Caitxo
What exactly is a logbook?? I've heard that its just a diary but what do we write in it??

Is it a list of things that you did or will do that week? Or is it a paragraph ? Do you write the date and times?

So confused.

Hey!
Think of it as a structured diary especially for your dissertation activities. It's a valuable tool to keep track of your progress, challenges, and reflections throughout your research journey. Personally for myself, during my master's dissertation, it was compulsory to maintain a log sheet for every meeting we had with our supervisor, so that the conversations are briefly recorded, and as a student action points can be analyzed. You can include date, time, activities, reflections, progress, updates, issues, solutions etc. It is highly subjective depending on your subject, dissertation topic and university policies. Choose a format that works best for you and allows you to clearly convey your thoughts and actions. Remember, the logbook is not just a record of completed tasks but a tool for self-reflection and improvement. It will also be useful if you ever need to refer back to your process or if someone else, e.g. your supervisor needs insight into your workflow. Hope this helps!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending