The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

QMUL VS EXETER VS SHEFFIELD Maths

I want to know what would be my best choice out of these 3 unis taking into consideration:

-Accomodation for Exeter and Sheffield
-Graduate Jobs and Prestige
-Student Body

Also I heard exeter is largely white, is this true.
What unis would you guys choose out of the three if you dont take money into account.
I don't know sufficient about either uni to give a detailed reply but I would say to any applicant visit all the universities you are considering and apply to those where you feel you would be comfortable with the ambience of the place, everything else will fall into place.
Don't get hung up on the prestige of the place. The important thing is how YOU perform on the degree, a good degree classification will sell itself.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by Anonymous #1
I want to know what would be my best choice out of these 3 unis taking into consideration:

-Accomodation for Exeter and Sheffield
-Graduate Jobs and Prestige
-Student Body

Also I heard exeter is largely white, is this true.
What unis would you guys choose out of the three if you dont take money into account.

Hi anonymous, I'm a current student at the University of Exeter, and although I don't study maths I thought I could offer some advice to help you decide. As well as the factors you've already listed, I think its important to also consider the student life in the city you decide to study in, which is likely to be quite different between a smaller city like Exeter by the coast in Devon, compared to Sheffield near the Peak District or being based in London. Personally, I really like being at Exeter because of the slightly smaller size and campus environment which makes it feel very inclusive and welcoming, and I also love having access to lots of green space and the sea on my doorstep, but you might find you prefer something different.

Regarding your comment about Exeter being largely white, there is no hiding that the South West is less diverse than other parts of the UK, such as London. Nevertheless, as a university we continue to make progress in building a more ethnically diverse UK undergraduate student body, increasing the proportion of home Black, Asian and other minority ethnicities (BAME) students steadily from 5.8% in 2011/12 to 11.1% in 2017/18. It is also worth noting that 19% of our student population is international, coming from over 160 different countries. As an institution we want to attract the brightest minds, regardless of their background and personal circumstances. We also have a range of societies in our student union representing a range of different interests highlighting that there is diversity within our student body. You might want to take a look at ta list of societies here to see what appeals.

Another suggestion to help you decide would be to look closely at the modules on offer in each course, as you will likely find that different universities have different specialities depending upon the research interests of their staff. You can find this information, and a lot more, about the Exeter maths course at the following webpage https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/mathematics/mathsbsc/#course-content. This includes options for placement years, integrated masters and dual honours degrees (which subjects such as data science, physics or finance) that may not be available at other courses. Furthermore, the "Your Future" tab on this webpage provides information on job prospects for maths graduates at Exeter which you may like to compare across your other choices. One standout benefit of being an Exeter student is that you retain access to our careers service, called Career Zone, for life, so you can continue to access advice, resources and career mentorship both as a current student and long after you graduate. This has been invaluable to me personally as I've used their advisors to help me succeed with both Masters and PhD applications.

As a final piece of advice, I'd like to direct you towards Unibuddy, which is an opportunity for you to chat to current University of Exeter students in specific disciplines. If you use the search function at this website here you can filter to find a maths student and ask them more detailed questions about the structure and content of the course, strengths of the department, and also their experience of accommodation too.

I hope the above information is helpful, but let me know if you have any further questions.

Kingsley
University of Exeter Student Ambassador.
Reply 3
Original post by ExeterStudentRep
Hi anonymous, I'm a current student at the University of Exeter, and although I don't study maths I thought I could offer some advice to help you decide. As well as the factors you've already listed, I think its important to also consider the student life in the city you decide to study in, which is likely to be quite different between a smaller city like Exeter by the coast in Devon, compared to Sheffield near the Peak District or being based in London. Personally, I really like being at Exeter because of the slightly smaller size and campus environment which makes it feel very inclusive and welcoming, and I also love having access to lots of green space and the sea on my doorstep, but you might find you prefer something different.

Regarding your comment about Exeter being largely white, there is no hiding that the South West is less diverse than other parts of the UK, such as London. Nevertheless, as a university we continue to make progress in building a more ethnically diverse UK undergraduate student body, increasing the proportion of home Black, Asian and other minority ethnicities (BAME) students steadily from 5.8% in 2011/12 to 11.1% in 2017/18. It is also worth noting that 19% of our student population is international, coming from over 160 different countries. As an institution we want to attract the brightest minds, regardless of their background and personal circumstances. We also have a range of societies in our student union representing a range of different interests highlighting that there is diversity within our student body. You might want to take a look at ta list of societies here to see what appeals.

Another suggestion to help you decide would be to look closely at the modules on offer in each course, as you will likely find that different universities have different specialities depending upon the research interests of their staff. You can find this information, and a lot more, about the Exeter maths course at the following webpage https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/mathematics/mathsbsc/#course-content. This includes options for placement years, integrated masters and dual honours degrees (which subjects such as data science, physics or finance) that may not be available at other courses. Furthermore, the "Your Future" tab on this webpage provides information on job prospects for maths graduates at Exeter which you may like to compare across your other choices. One standout benefit of being an Exeter student is that you retain access to our careers service, called Career Zone, for life, so you can continue to access advice, resources and career mentorship both as a current student and long after you graduate. This has been invaluable to me personally as I've used their advisors to help me succeed with both Masters and PhD applications.

As a final piece of advice, I'd like to direct you towards Unibuddy, which is an opportunity for you to chat to current University of Exeter students in specific disciplines. If you use the search function at this website here you can filter to find a maths student and ask them more detailed questions about the structure and content of the course, strengths of the department, and also their experience of accommodation too.

I hope the above information is helpful, but let me know if you have any further questions.

Kingsley
University of Exeter Student Ambassador.

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to ask since Exeter is a small area would it be hard to find a part time job during my university studies?
Original post by Saif01A
Thanks for the info. I just wanted to ask since Exeter is a small area would it be hard to find a part time job during my university studies?

Hi there @Saif01A,

There are loads of part time job opportunities available to students in Exeter! In town, students often work in shops, restaurants, bars, hotels, etc. These are frequently advertised on Handshake, a service available to our students.There are also job opportunities available on campus, including at the Market Place or in cafes.
If you're particularly interested in engaging with the student community, you can apply to become a Student Ambassador - this casual work is great if you're looking for flexibility around your studies.
I would also add that we have a great Careers Team here at Exeter, on hand to help with anything from CV writing, interview technique, or job searches. They run a part-time/casual jobs fair twice a year.

I hope this has helped! Feel free to get in touch with any further questions.

Kitty
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Original post by Saif01A

I’m a current student in Exeter! I don’t do maths but I managed to easily find a weekend retail job on the high street - lots of us working there are students!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending