The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Placement year at York

I have a contextual offer for computer science with a year in industry at the university of York. I am trying to figure out my funding and am wondering both how much they pay and how likely I am to get a placement. I am predicted AAA at A-Level!
Original post by Owakef
I have a contextual offer for computer science with a year in industry at the university of York. I am trying to figure out my funding and am wondering both how much they pay and how likely I am to get a placement. I am predicted AAA at A-Level!

Hi!

I'm not sure about the funding because I'm guessing it varies depending on your employer during the year in industry. If you drop [email protected] a message I'm sure they will be able to give you some more info! 🙂
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by Owakef

Congratulations on your offer from York, great university.
Funding during your placement yr will be reduced as you won't be attending university but it is still part of your degree. for 2023-2024 tuition fees for placement yr was £1,250 (as opposed tot the normal £9,250).
Maintenance will also be significantly reduced as you will of course be getting a salary from your Placement job. How much you will get is based on where you will be living e.g home, away from, home, city but it will be a nominal amount.
The salary you get from your placement job will be solely determined by your employer. Many include this in the placement advert already so it's up to you if you feel it meets your expectations.

Lastly, universities do not allocate Placements, the student has to find them, apply and go through the normal recruitment process to secure a place. Your university will help you with CV preparation, interview techniques, cover letters, online assessments and also signpost places that in the past that have offered placements to students on your course. The university has no sway in how much the employer pays.

Good luck with it all, there are some great opportunities for placements in your field.
You will have a good chance of getting a placement, the uni should have a list of companies which they have had students go to in the past, and you can source your own too, albeit the uni will need to approve them to ensure you are doing work which is useful for your degree. You should get around £20K pro rata for the year. If YII is a strong priority for you have a look at Bath, they are great for YII.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending