The Student Room Group

will uni's accept me with my a levels?

I have just started year 13, and I am going to be applying for uni this year. I do geography, politics and photography a levels. I have also done an EPQ.
My predicted grades are A*, A, A, (+ an A* in EPQ ) and I am hoping to study politics at a russell group university (currently considering sheffield, bristol, manchester, edinburgh)
Have I ruined my chances by doing photography a-level, as it is seen as being a weak subject?

Thanks.
Original post by gayspace
I have just started year 13, and I am going to be applying for uni this year. I do geography, politics and photography a levels. I have also done an EPQ.
My predicted grades are A*, A, A, (+ an A* in EPQ ) and I am hoping to study politics at a russell group university (currently considering sheffield, bristol, manchester, edinburgh)
Have I ruined my chances by doing photography a-level, as it is seen as being a weak subject?

Thanks.

Honestly I don’t think so at all, do check the entry requirements and I do believe unis usually just need two compulsory subjects as entry requirements
There’s no such thing as ‘weak’ subjects. Only Essential and Preferred. Both will be stated clearly on uni websites.
Reply 3
As above - if you have any preferred or required subjects as stated by the Uni, which for any social science degree is typically 'an essay based subject' or 'a relevant subject' (and Pol and Geog match both of these), then the 3rd subject really doesnt matter, they just want the 3rd grade.

PS. If you are interested in Politics and Geography, have a look at a degree subject called 'International Development' which encompasses both - examples https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/study/Subject-area/international-development-ug and https://www.sussex.ac.uk/development/ugstudy/prospectus and lots of other Unis.

Thanks.

By focusing your search on Russell Group, you are potentially missing out on some top unis - St Andrews, Bath, Loughborough, Lancaster, etc. Don't fall into the trap that Russell Group is better - look at course content in detail and see what suits you the most.

Thanks.

Double check the course you want to do on a few unis websites. They will say if theres any particular subjects that they require.
There isnt really weak subjects. But some courses require certain subjects.

Thanks.

Hi,

My name is Emmanuel and I'm a recent graduate in History & Politics from Lancaster University. As others have already indicated in their responses, photography should not be a concern. Since not all 6th Forms offer Politics, not all courses will even require that specific A-Level or equivalent qualification. Rather, they will typically ask for a set of grades with some preferrable qualifications— especially in the case of Social Science degrees. You can check the requirements for the Universities that interest you online but to mention a few:

- BA Politics & Modern History at Manchester has entry grade requirements of AAB including Grade A in History, Politics or Government
- BSc Politics and International Relations at Bristol has entry grade requirements AAA including an essay-based subject such as Politics
- BA Politics at Sheffield has entry grade requirements of AAB without any specific subject requirements

Quick Reply

Latest