The Student Room Group

Who do you think is the best military commander ever?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kallisto
And if he is compared to Alexander the Great? his reign and Hellenism at least lasted for many hundred years. And it was a big one.

I think one’s greatness should be viewed according to their limits and abilities.
Reply 21
Original post by SK-18
Alexander the Great is the obvious one, but for WW2 I have the following

Germany: Walter Model- I will die on that hill that he was the most competent out of them all.

England: William Slim- look him up, given how little he had he helped save the Burmese front and prevented the capture of the south Asian subcontinent.

France: they kinda surrendered too early so I can’t say.

Russia: Rokossovsky/ Zhukov. Human waves ftw.

Model, isn’t Von Manstein miles better 🤔
Original post by Kingdragon

I believe that has merit, in fact I like Mansteins involvement in the defeat of France.

However Model was in my personal opinion, more well rounded personally. Model was better suited to fight a war of attrition as shown by his defenses against the dominating USSR forces during the gradual retreat of the axis forces.

Then again I am a contrarian when it comes to Manstein, the clean wehrmacht story is a myth frankly and army forces were complicit in the massacres carried out by the SS.

To sum it up: I forgot about Manstein and he is better on offence, I mean the fall of France is crazy. But overall when it comes the all round package of offence + defense- Model.
Original post by Kingdragon

Also, Manstein's strength was in offensive warfare, Model's was in defensive. In this case its comparing two different styles- brazillian ju jitsu against taekwondo.

I prioritse adaptability and defence over offence, hence that is why I suggested Model.

Miles better is a crazy statement regardless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending