The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Starting OU in Feb

I wanted to start stage 3 of open university degree this February, but it looks like 90% of all the modules start in October only??

All but one of the stage 3 environmental sustainability modules start in October.

Have people found this before? I thought OU was flexible so I am quite shocked it's basically impossible to start until October.
I believe they offer starts in Feb and Oct for most courses, but maybe not all. I would call up the student recruitment team or your student support team, to check. It must be frustrating to have to wait months to start your next module though!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Theter
I wanted to start stage 3 of open university degree this February, but it looks like 90% of all the modules start in October only??

All but one of the stage 3 environmental sustainability modules start in October.

Have people found this before? I thought OU was flexible so I am quite shocked it's basically impossible to start until October.

They only offer Feb starts for their stage 1 modules.
Original post by Veet Voojagig
They only offer Feb starts for their stage 1 modules.

On my course (Q62), there's a couple stage 2 and 3 modules that have Feb starts only (TM256 and TM359). All the other moduled have October only starts.
Original post by Theter

The OU is flexible in terms of how many credits you can do each year. If you really want to start in Feb you could do the level 3 environmental sustainability module? But if it's not to your taste then you'll have to wait until October.
Original post by Theter

As above Feb start is mostly stage 1 modules. Although OU study is flexible in terms of a) there aren't formally timetabled activities so you can fit your studying around your other commitments and b) as noted above you can flexibly change how many credits you're doing year on year, and does offer February start for some modules (mainly stage 1), that doesn't mean they can or will do so for all modules. Remember that most students start at stage 1 and end then progress on to stage 3 and so would be more likely to be ready for an October start by stage 3.

Note also you usually have to register for the modules in advance of them starting - I believe the registration window for Feb start modules will be closing soon if not already?
Original post by artful_lounger
Note also you usually have to register for the modules in advance of them starting - I believe the registration window for Feb start modules will be closing soon if not already?

The regiration window for Feb start modules closes on 11th Jan. So OP could still technically register but it doesn't guarantee them a place if the module has a waiting list or is oversubscribed.
Original post by Theter

I was looking into their diploma of higher education in environmental science and it seems like the first part of the module begins in February and the next in October so I'm not sure. I think if you want to join for feb you've only got two days left to apply. I hope you have success with your searching! :smile:
hello. I'm starting Law this February and I'm wondering If the books I've received for my first module are mine to keep or if they need to be returned at the end of my studies? good luck to everyone starting!

Quick Reply

Latest