The Student Room Group

Is the Open Uni good?

I didn't get the best A levels, but after a lot of working and maturing ive realised I want to go back to education. I feel like studying at home would be best for me and I want to keep my car so would need to work still. Would anyone reccomend it?
Reply 1
It is looked on favourably by employers.
Original post by edhodson
I didn't get the best A levels, but after a lot of working and maturing ive realised I want to go back to education. I feel like studying at home would be best for me and I want to keep my car so would need to work still. Would anyone reccomend it?

Hi,

I think whichever route you take, online or in person, it has to be what's best for you, not what other people think.

I started uni in the pandemic, and it was all online, i never met anyone in person, and i personally found it really hard, and I don't think I would have finished my degree if it was online for the full 3/4 years. Not having any peers to discuss assignments with and not building a rapport up with the lecturers, made it difficult.

Now my lecturers are in person and I know all my classmates, its been so much better and my grades have also improved. If you are someone who isn't worried about interacting with people/lecturers on your course in person, and who is easily motivated and organised to get the work done online, then you will be absolutely fine doing it online. P.S i have continued to work part time whilst at uni, and I haven't had any problems (you mentioned wanting to work, and i thought that might be relevant). Also if you are worried about your A level results, there are plenty of courses that offer foundation years.

Good luck with whatever route you choose.

-Victoria
Wrexham Uni Rep
Reply 3
Basically -yes. Which course?
Yes I am doing an apprenticeship through the OU and it is great, the material is fantastic and the teaching is also really good lots of multimedia and sometimes there are some workshops and other events to attend. I would recommend to anyone not able to attend a traditional university.
Reply 5
Computing and IT - Software . I’ve just registered to start this feb.

Original post by ajj2000
Basically -yes. Which course?
Reply 6
Original post by Jojobee2021
Yes I am doing an apprenticeship through the OU and it is great, the material is fantastic and the teaching is also really good lots of multimedia and sometimes there are some workshops and other events to attend. I would recommend to anyone not able to attend a traditional university.

Thank you!!
Reply 7
Original post by WrexhamUniReps
Hi,

I think whichever route you take, online or in person, it has to be what's best for you, not what other people think.

I started uni in the pandemic, and it was all online, i never met anyone in person, and i personally found it really hard, and I don't think I would have finished my degree if it was online for the full 3/4 years. Not having any peers to discuss assignments with and not building a rapport up with the lecturers, made it difficult.

Now my lecturers are in person and I know all my classmates, its been so much better and my grades have also improved. If you are someone who isn't worried about interacting with people/lecturers on your course in person, and who is easily motivated and organised to get the work done online, then you will be absolutely fine doing it online. P.S i have continued to work part time whilst at uni, and I haven't had any problems (you mentioned wanting to work, and i thought that might be relevant). Also if you are worried about your A level results, there are plenty of courses that offer foundation years.

Good luck with whatever route you choose.

-Victoria
Wrexham Uni Rep

Thank you so much , i’ll definitely take that all into consideration. I’m not really fussed about the social aspect so I think it would be great and a good money saver not having to get accommodation as well.
Reply 8
Original post by edhodson
Computing and IT - Software . I’ve just registered to start this feb.

Sounds great!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending