The Student Room Group

Grind to GYG

I'm currently a Y12 student doing Chem, Maths Physics and Further Maths aspiring to do engineering at university. I just had mocks recently and grades haven't been confirmed yet but I'm probably going to end up being around BBBC. I'm currently aiming for A*A*A*A for my final exams during the summer, I'd like to aim high to give myself a good challenge and still have amazing grades even if I don't reach it!
Thanks for reading!

Scroll to see replies

Good luck!
Original post by study23!
Good luck!
Thanks!
Just wanted to write down a quick plan of what work I wanna do today at home since I've relaxed for a bit after getting back from school.
In order of priority:
Finish off my practical write up for chemistry
Do my physics practical write up
Do a physics olympiad past paper
Should probably do some sort of review/practice of variable acceleration stuff in maths and haloalkanes in chemistry cause I'm probably a bit wobbly with both of those ( but this is extra stuff if I finish my others fast enough)
I'd like to try and say I wanna do some more maths practice on some tricky questions like STEP but idk if I can be bothered to or if I'll even be able to cause all those questions make me feel like I don't even know maths 💀 so a big maybe on that one

Idek if I'll do all this but I'll hopefully reply before I go to bed to confirm what I manag
ed to do.
Original post by selective-teller
I'm currently a Y12 student doing Chem, Maths Physics and Further Maths aspiring to do engineering at university. I just had mocks recently and grades haven't been confirmed yet but I'm probably going to end up being around BBBC. I'm currently aiming for A*A*A*A for my final exams during the summer, I'd like to aim high to give myself a good challenge and still have amazing grades even if I don't reach it!
Thanks for reading!
OOh hiya, I didnt see this sooner. Welcome to gyg and me and my fellow gyg rats shall follow along with your undoubtably amazing journey. I also take chem currently as a yr 12 student. I hope you do get the grades <3

@milktee @emm4nuella @AspiringSurvivor @kayleigh_t.27 @halfharry @aalimk @erin11 @agent_duck343 @wkstudy
Im having a brain stump and cant think of anymore. You lots tag the rest of the gang <3
Original post by Tatakae L
OOh hiya, I didnt see this sooner. Welcome to gyg and me and my fellow gyg rats shall follow along with your undoubtably amazing journey. I also take chem currently as a yr 12 student. I hope you do get the grades <3

@milktee @emm4nuella @AspiringSurvivor @kayleigh_t.27 @halfharry @aalimk @erin11 @agent_duck343 @wkstudy
Im having a brain stump and cant think of anymore. You lots tag the rest of the gang <3
Hi thanks for the welcome. What exam board do you do for chemistry?
Thanks for reading!
heyaaaa welcome to gyg <3
Reply 7
Thanks for reading!
WELCOME TO GYG!! i'm in y11 currently and looking to do further maths asw, how are you finding it so farr? or do you guys only start the fm content in y13?
hope you're able to get the grades your aspiring for, looking forward to your updates 🤍🤍
thanks as always @Tatakae L for the tag <333
Original post by milktee
WELCOME TO GYG!! i'm in y11 currently and looking to do further maths asw, how are you finding it so farr? or do you guys only start the fm content in y13?
hope you're able to get the grades your aspiring for, looking forward to your updates 🤍🤍
any time my love <3
Just wanted to write down a quick plan of what work I wanna do today at home since I've relaxed for a bit after getting back from school.
In order of priority:
Finish off my practical write up for chemistry
Do my physics practical write up
Do a physics olympiad past paper
Should probably do some sort of review/practice of variable acceleration stuff in maths and haloalkanes in chemistry cause I'm probably a bit wobbly with both of those ( but this is extra stuff if I finish my others fast enough)
I'd like to try and say I wanna do some more maths practice on some tricky questions like STEP but idk if I can be bothered to or if I'll even be able to cause all those questions make me feel like I don't even know maths 💀 so a big maybe on that one

Idek if I'll do all this but I'll hopefully reply before I go to bed to confirm what I manag
ed to do.
How’d it go?
Thanks for all the welcomes from everybody. Here's an update from yesterday's stuff:

I finished the practical write up for chemistry but I had to email and ask a teacher about the graph on it(an advantage of doing the homework early 😂)

I tried doing the physics write up but I felt like I had made a mistake early on that messed up a lot of my results so I'll redo some parts sometime this week.

And it turns out I had another physics hwk that I didn't know about but I managed to finish it quickly.

But all this homework took a lot longer than I expected 💀so I did a few questions on the physics Olympiad and gave up after working on it for a bit.

Didn't manage to do any of the review stuff or STEP but I wasn't really expecting myself to have enough time.

It was definitely a good idea listing out all my stuff and it made me feel more organised and streamlined, I just hope next time I can get my homework out the way faster so that I have more time for extra stuff that'll actually help me improve instead of just doing what's required. I ended up spending like 2 hours of screen time after school yesterday so I should probably try cut that down and get to bed earlier or get more work in 😬.
Original post by milktee
I'm not sure how your school will do it but in ours we barely touch any further maths until the end of y12 and mostly do it in y13, so we've just been doing regular A Level content just at a fast pace. Even though I haven't started it yet my advice would be to just make sure you're just on top of your topics before you move onto the next one. Because a lot of the time people think they've understood the topic well enough by doing it in class but when it comes to exam style questions or tough homeworks we quickly realise how much we've underestimated it 😭.
I'm not sure how your school will do it but in ours we barely touch any further maths until the end of y12 and mostly do it in y13, so we've just been doing regular A Level content just at a fast pace. Even though I haven't started it yet my advice would be to just make sure you're just on top of your topics before you move onto the next one. Because a lot of the time people think they've understood the topic well enough by doing it in class but when it comes to exam style questions or tough homeworks we quickly realise how much we've underestimated it 😭.
yeahh i think our school starts the content around y13 asw, ahhh alright, thank you so much for the advicee 🤍🤍 and yeah i've heard how difficult fm is so i defo need to be revising it everyday after skl 😭😭
Today my chemistry teacher gave us a surprise test 💀 on halogens which I already struggled with, it didn't go great but I guess it's motivated me a bit to look at that stuff. I also need to find some time do some research intro prosthetic engineering because I need to do a presentation for it in a club. It feels like I got so much stuff going on that I need a timetable/diary or smth to organise myself before I forget 5 different things that I need to do.

Work wise today after school I did a bit of research into prosthetics, then I was working on some chemistry homework that I accidentally left overdue 😬. After I finish that I'll check over my chem practical write up before I hand it in tmmrw then do a review of haloalkanes like I said earlier this week.
Hi thanks for the welcome. What exam board do you do for chemistry?
I do ocr A hbu ??
Thanks for reading!
hi! i'm in year 13 doing the same subjects as you, so i'll be happy to follow you on your journey !! good luck!
Original post by Tatakae L
I do ocr A hbu ??
I do AQA
Original post by miss_nia
hi! i'm in year 13 doing the same subjects as you, so i'll be happy to follow you on your journey !! good luck!
That's awesome! Have you got any advice for this combo of subjects?
That's awesome! Have you got any advice for this combo of subjects?
utilise further maths!! it really gives you problem solving skills for the rest of the subjects. if you can tackle further maths, you're completely set for normal maths, and you're also at a slight advantage for physics. revise often, especially those topics you learnt in september. for chem, which is my weakest, try to do as much exam practice as possible. if you understand the foundations of chem, new content will come easier.

always revise though! that's key. i wasted my year 12 and only started properly revising towards the end, so keep revising! it does not get easier unless you let it <3
Haven't updated this in a while 🤯 I may have forgotten about it but that changes today. I'll give a quick summary of this week
Monday:
Today I got into school about 30mins early to do some maths homework in the library which was pretty useful
Afterwards I stayed in the library again for about 1.5hrs, I've made myself and spreadsheet time table sort of thing to help keep my extra revision organised. I went through a foundation step paper, and did a bit of Isaac physics
Tuesday:
Didn't do as much work after school that day, but managed to do some research on my upcoming presentation on prosthetic engineering and plan out the format a bit.
Wednesday:
I went to my schools chemistry club and listened to my friends awesome presentation! It was also just pretty good at seeing what I should aim for in my own presentation. When I got home I did like 3/4 of a math homework but didn't do that much work in general that day.
Today!
Went to physics club today after school where we did some weird olmpyiad style questions, it was pretty confusing icl. Unfortunately my hwk is starting to pile up a bit, and I got a chemistry test I really wanna smash next week so I'd like to try clear as much hwk out as I can before the weekend . I got a 1/4 of one math homework left, + another full one all due for tomorrow so I'll finish them off tonight. Then 2 hwks due for Monday 1 due for Thursday and the chem test on wed. I'll give another update once I get these homework due for tomorrow out of
the way!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending