The Student Room Group

Struggling financially

I already have a part time job but im not getting enough shifts and won’t get enough until maybe mid January as my manager’s prioritising people that are back from uni atm. However I need money. I have 1200 in my savings but my mum’s struggling atm so she’s borrowing 1100. I have 100 in my spendings btw atm but i’m going to spend 30 on driving lesson, 50 on friend’s bday gift so i’ll only have 20 left and then the 100 in the savings.Idk what to do, i’ve tried looking for vacancies online but nobody nearby is hiring atm. I was thinking of partaking in paid surveys but are they reliable? I’m 17 btw ( 18 in feb)
Original post by Anonymous #1
I already have a part time job but im not getting enough shifts and won’t get enough until maybe mid January as my manager’s prioritising people that are back from uni atm. However I need money. I have 1200 in my savings but my mum’s struggling atm so she’s borrowing 1100. I have 100 in my spendings btw atm but i’m going to spend 30 on driving lesson, 50 on friend’s bday gift so i’ll only have 20 left and then the 100 in the savings.Idk what to do, i’ve tried looking for vacancies online but nobody nearby is hiring atm. I was thinking of partaking in paid surveys but are they reliable? I’m 17 btw ( 18 in feb)

skill issue
Reply 2
Only fans?
It is not your responsibility to support your mother.

Find a better paying or more reliable job where the boss won't prioritise certain employees.

Not all jobs are advertised online - post on local groups to ask who is hiring and walk round your local area and make enquiries in person.

Don't spend most of your disposable income on an expensive gift.
Reply 4
I liked more was being spent on a friends birthday...a generosity of spirit you don't see much. Give a grand to my mum, give 50 squid to my mate and I'll keep 30 for driving and 20 for the rest of my life. I'm still not sure what the question is... I need money? I need money till mid jan? I need money till my mum pays me back? I need to buy some crack? What's it for again? Is it for sx n dr*gs and rock n roll?
Reply 5
Original post by Spanx
I liked more was being spent on a friends birthday...a generosity of spirit you don't see much. Give a grand to my mum, give 50 squid to my mate and I'll keep 30 for driving and 20 for the rest of my life. I'm still not sure what the question is... I need money? I need money till mid jan? I need money till my mum pays me back? I need to buy some crack? What's it for again? Is it for sx n dr*gs and rock n roll?

Hopefully that 20 isn’t the only money i have for the rest of my life🙏but no itd jus be for food or something or to not have an empty bank innit but i’ll get paid in 2 weeks so I just have to be extra careful until February when (hopefully) I get more shifts or another job
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #3
It is not your responsibility to support your mother.

Find a better paying or more reliable job where the boss won't prioritise certain employees.

Not all jobs are advertised online - post on local groups to ask who is hiring and walk round your local area and make enquiries in person.

Don't spend most of your disposable income on an expensive gift.

This is such a tsr response, very logical makes sense but doesn’t take into consideration the whole context/ emotional aspect of it, but thanks for the advice there’s definitely some good reasoning and i’ll try to incorporate it into my decisions
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hopefully that 20 isn’t the only money i have for the rest of my life🙏but no itd jus be for food or something or to not have an empty bank innit but i’ll get paid in 2 weeks so I just have to be extra careful until February when (hopefully) I get more shifts or another job

Well get your friends to take you out for a meal or two or just pop over theirs at dinner time...given how generous you are, I'm sure they won't begrudge you a meal or 3. :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by Spanx

Well get your friends to take you out for a meal or two or just pop over theirs at dinner time...given how generous you are, I'm sure they won't begrudge you a meal or 3. :wink:

My financial situation isn’t THAT bad dw, I’ll get food at home but im doing a levels and im at college 9-4 most days so I usually jus get food from there without thinking but I can’t really do that as much anymore bc its expensive so I jus have to put extra effort in to make something at home

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending