The Student Room Group

Chronicles of a Third year Foodie

gyg2.png

I'm Chronoscope, and welcome to the final edition of the Chrono Chronicles! :thumbsup:. This year I'm heading into my 3rd year doing Food Science. I really can't believe where the time has gone. :sadnod:. It only feels like yesterday I was writing my foundation year blog.

For this year I'm living in private halls :biggrin: and its been so good so far! :yep: The bus is closer than last year, there's an Aldi within a bus journey (unlike last year). There's a hospital 4 minutes away (WHICH I HOPEFULLY WON'T BE NEEDING!), I hope unlike last year which treated me to a gallbladder attack :yikes: Moving on, my part time job is local to me here, and I've managed to save enough after working nearly all summer, so I'm fortunate to have an ensuite :love: I've got 5 other flatmates, and I've met 2/6 so far.

What's new/Random stuff about me

How second year went!

Third year modules

I've got my timetable for third year, and was slightly overwhelmed when I looked at it :eek3:

It looks so busy, but hopefully I the second > third year leap won't be as much as the first > second year one.

Goals for 3rd year

Tag list

Idek why i didn't update last years blog as much as my foundation/first year. But aiming to be more active on here as its the final year, and I wanna ace this :thumbsup: luckily a lot of my stuff is hopefully coursework this year so I won't be overloaded with exams, like last year
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The tag didn't work but I saw the thread :smile:

Good luck in your final year :grouphugs:
Original post by Muttley79
The tag didn't work but I saw the thread :smile:

Good luck in your final year :grouphugs:

very strange! :iiam: hopefully it'll work next time
thank you! :jumphug:
27/09/2023

On Monday and Tuesday, I had seminars, but they were just for only 1 hour, and were just introducing us to the module and what assessments we'd be doing. Yesterday evening, I attended a taster session for the sci-fi society which was really good! We watched a couple of episodes with the Doctor and Donna, more specifically the Runaway Bride, and Partners in Crime :yep:

Today was my first proper morning of third year (and the first 9am since May I think!). Ofc the bus was late, and I was 5 minutes late to class :hide: There was also an intro lesson to planning our research project :afraid:

Went home after, currently feeling slightly tired :sleep: overall was a pretty good morning.

Tags: @Muttley79 @flaurie @Wise Goldie @Reality Check
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
We had a holiday in Cardiff a few years back when we visited lots of places where Dr Who was filmed.

Cheering you on!!
please tag me in 😇
We had a holiday in Cardiff a few years back when we visited lots of places where Dr Who was filmed.

Cheering you on!!

Ooooh nice :awesome:
Did you get to visit the Doctor Who Experience? :awesome: miss that place :rip:
Original post by agent_duck343
please tag me in 😇

Will do! :tongue:
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Chronoscope
Ooooh nice :awesome:
Did you get to visit the Doctor Who Experience? :awesome: miss that place :rip:

No, it had closed. We did have lunch in Eddie's Diner though.
21/11/2023

:hi: Long time no see. Did I forget I had a GYG blog again... maybe :hide:
Term has been pretty hectic but surprisingly fun. I've gone down to 1 shift at work, and that's pretty manageable. I was worried what my parents would say when I told them I was doing 1 shift a week instead of 2... but they were lovely about it :love: Even though two shifts a week was pretty ok I think I was still finding things overwhelming, so its nice just to have a Sunday off especially now my uni timetable is so I'm in every day now :sleep: I'm in my granny era already because some days I'm in bed by 9pm!

Dissertation

New Product Development

Food Safety and Sensory Module

Food Chemistry

Food Retail Marketing

Other stuff

Tag list

(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 9
21/11/2023

Term has been pretty hectic but surprisingly fun. I've gone down to 1 shift at work, and that's pretty manageable. I was worried what my parents would say when I told them I was doing 1 shift a week instead of 2... but they were lovely about it :love: Even though two shifts a week was pretty ok I think I was still finding things overwhelming, so its nice just to have a Sunday off especially now my uni timetable is so I'm in every day now :sleep: I'm in my granny era already because some days I'm in bed by 9pm!

Dissertation

New Product Development

Food Chemistry

Food Retail Marketing

Other stuff

Tag list

Good to see your update - sent yu a PM about honey.

Any ideas on what next after uni?
21/11/2023

Dissertation

New Product Development

Food Chemistry

Food Retail Marketing

Other stuff

Tag list

Good to hear uni is going well this year
Your modules sound really interesting and I cant wait to hear more about your product development and dissertation

I also really want to see the Hunger Games prequel but ig it’ll have to wait till after my mocks :frown:
27th January 2024
Very belated Happy New Year! Did I have to go searching for my blog... maybe? :hide:
Christmas was pretty good except getting tonsillitis which I had to go on antibiotics for, for like 2 weeks :frown:. I was SO annoyed about it because I'd planned to do a whole load of uni work over xmas, as well as cinema trips and pantomime which just didn't happen at all :no: January is going well although it does seem to be dragging on forever now.

I've had a lot of grades back for work I did before the holiday and I think most of them are alright :biggrin:

NPD presentation = 73%
Sensory test = 74%
Food Chemistry presentation = 84%
Food retail marketing presentation = 80%

Grades I haven't got back yet as these assignments were submitted after Christmas :smile::

- 2-minute dissertation (basically a 2 minute powerpoint explaining what I've been doing in my research project so far). This after absolute hell to record :sadnod: basically had only just gotten my voice back after the tonsilits so I was still croaky... I ddecided to email the module convenor and they said they'd let the examiners know so fingers crossed the examiners don't judge it too harshly :rofl:

- a HACCP assignment which was an extreeeeeeeeemely long group document.

- business report from food retail marketing. I had to use one of my extensions for this because I realised the day it was due before I hadn't checked the marking criteria which said that tables weren't included in the word count, so it turned out I was massively under the word count :facepalm:

Current assignments

- I've got an Excel based report for my new module I started a couple of weeks ago (consumer attitudes). I think I'm quite liking this module but OMG the data analysis is heavy! :eek4: You have to make sure you follow the instructions exactly as its so easy to miss something and XLstat will go keplonk... on the plus side there's no exam for this module and its all coursework :thumbsup:

- Research project: the honey research is going well. Before Christmas I was allowed to use the HPLC lc-ms machine in the lab which was extremely interesting, and got shown how to use the software on the computer for it :yep: I'm currently researching and trying to find the main bulk of references I need for my diss, but that's coming along quite nicely.

________________________________________________________________________________

Other stuff:

- I finally saw Wonka in the cinema the other day, and Oppenheimer at my uni's sci-fi club. Definitely planning to get both on DVD at some point.
- new favourite TV shows in the mix aka Percy Jackson, The Traitors and Anne with an E:love:

- debating whether I want to do a Masters or not... I did look at the funded PhD's advertised by my uni, but decided after a lot of thinking that none of the projects particularly jumped out at me, and I'm not entirely sure I want to do another 3 or 4 years just yet :hmmmm:

Tags: @Muttley79 @flaurie @Wise Goldie @agent_duck343 @Reality Check
(edited 3 months ago)
Good to hear uni is going well this year
Your modules sound really interesting and I cant wait to hear more about your product development and dissertation

I also really want to see the Hunger Games prequel but ig it’ll have to wait till after my mocks :frown:

Thanks!
did you end up seeing the new Hunger Games prequel in the end? :smile:
I think its coming out on dvd soon anyway (can't wait to rewatch it :biggrin:)
Good to see your update - sent yu a PM about honey.

Any ideas on what next after uni?

I genuinely have no idea, I think I appear to have missed a lot of the grad schemes application dates, so they're out. The only thought that keeps coming back to me is I'd quite like to go travelling (as I've literally not left the country in 10+ years) or maybe do a Masters but I'm not quite sure yet :hmmmm:
27th January 2024
Very belated Happy New Year! Did I have to go searching for my blog... maybe? :hide:
Christmas was pretty good except getting tonsillitis which I had to go on antibiotics for, for like 2 weeks :frown:. I was SO annoyed about it because I'd planned to do a whole load of uni work over xmas, as well as cinema trips and pantomime which just didn't happen at all :no: January is going well although it does seem to be dragging on forever now.

I've had a lot of grades back for work I did before the holiday and I think most of them are alright :biggrin:

NPD presentation = 73%
Sensory test = 74%
Food Chemistry presentation = 84%
Food retail marketing presentation = 80%

Grades I haven't got back yet as these assignments were submitted after Christmas :smile::

- 2-minute dissertation (basically a 2 minute powerpoint explaining what I've been doing in my research project so far). This after absolute hell to record :sadnod: basically had only just gotten my voice back after the tonsilits so I was still croaky... I ddecided to email the module convenor and they said they'd let the examiners know so fingers crossed the examiners don't judge it too harshly :rofl:

- a HACCP assignment which was an extreeeeeeeeemely long group document.

- business report from food retail marketing. I had to use one of my extensions for this because I realised the day it was due before I hadn't checked the marking criteria which said that tables weren't included in the word count, so it turned out I was massively under the word count :facepalm:

Current assignments

- I've got an Excel based report for my new module I started a couple of weeks ago (consumer attitudes). I think I'm quite liking this module but OMG the data analysis is heavy! :eek4: You have to make sure you follow the instructions exactly as its so easy to miss something and XLstat will go keplonk... on the plus side there's no exam for this module and its all coursework :thumbsup:

- Research project: the honey research is going well. Before Christmas I was allowed to use the HPLC lc-ms machine in the lab which was extremely interesting, and got shown how to use the software on the computer for it :yep: I'm currently researching and trying to find the main bulk of references I need for my diss, but that's coming along quite nicely.

________________________________________________________________________________

Other stuff:

- I finally saw Wonka in the cinema the other day, and Oppenheimer at my uni's sci-fi club. Definitely planning to get both on DVD at some point.
- new favourite TV shows in the mix aka Percy Jackson, The Traitors and Anne with an E:love:

- debating whether I want to do a Masters or not... I did look at the funded PhD's advertised by my uni, but decided after a lot of thinking that none of the projects particularly jumped out at me, and I'm not entirely sure I want to do another 3 or 4 years just yet :hmmmm:

Happy New Year

Wow those marks are amazing - well done!

Sorry to hear about the tonsilitis - it must have been bad to get antibiotics ...

I wouldn't worry too much about 'What's next' at the moment ... enjoy uni.

Look after yourself.
Heyyy
Happy New Year 🎉
Congratulations on your scores - your modules sound really interesting.
I didn't get round to watching the hunger games prequel yet 🥲 so I'll probably just wait until it comes out unfortunately.
8th February

It's finally February! :woo: January felt like forever :yawn:

Yesterday we did presentations on acrylamide - not fun since it wasn't marked unfortunately so it seemed like a bit of a waste of time, especially since we had other stuff we could've been getting on with... Literally nobody put any effort into the presentations at all, like even if the mark was a tiny portion of the grade like 10% we might've made more effort :hide: There was one group which used a pink background and used comic sans, one group used memes/gifs in context which was kind of impressive :lol: no groups referenced properly at all, and one group must have gotten the wrong information, and when the lecturer asked 'can I ask where you got your information' someone replied 'oh we got it from Chat GPT' :rofl:

- I've still got to do the Excel data to do, so I that's on my hit list because its due next week and I've been procrastinating doing it :redface:
- also on my to do is a couple of food chem lectures. There's two quite long PowerPoints which I need to work through
- Finally got my grade back from the business report I did before Christmas and I got 85% on it which I'm quite proud of :awesome:

I attended a Masters open evening yesterday which was quite useful/helpful as well :biggrin:

Can't believe its reading week next week - I think I'll be making the most of the library :yep:

Hope everyone is alright! :grouphugs:
Well done on the Business report :smile:

Are you thinking of doing a Masters?
I can’t believe people actually just admitted to using chatGPT for your presentation 🫠
Congratulations on your business report 🩶
I can’t believe people actually just admitted to using chatGPT for your presentation 🫠
Congratulations on your business report 🩶

not my presentation group luckily, but one of the other groups admitted it :yikes: :giggle:
Tbf I don't even blame them since we have so much other stuff to do :hide:
(edited 2 months ago)
19th February
:hi: I can't believe reading week is over already! :bawling:
I started my first day back this week with a banging migraine that I *think* has only just gone (didn't help I had a very rare bad dream last night :sadnod:). On the topic of bumps my bruises, my Dad ended up in A&E last week because he dislocated his shoulder when he was doing one of his plumbing jobs :yikes:

:nurse:

Spoiler

Last week, I managed to get my data assignment done :thumbsup: When I was on a break from doing lab work for my research project, I bumped into the lecturer who does my module for the data assignment, and I managed to get some help on some of the things I was struggling with :biggrin: I also managed to get some lab work done for my research project, which reminds me I need to book a meeting with my supervisor to discuss results... :hmmmm: adding that to my to do list.

Pancake day was also last week which was where I discovered my uni halls kitchen stove might be kaput :sigh: Batter was made fine, but after half an hour of the stove being on max heat, the pancake had barely cooked :blah: The other week, it took like 20 minutes to make some soup as well :facepalm: My parents suggested I time how long it takes to boil some water on each ring before I report it just to double-check its all the rings or just one particular ring.

I've got a presentation for the data module that I'm doing as well, group meeting is scheduled for this week so hopefully that'll be productive.

To do list
- go over intro and research methods for research project
- go through food chem lectures
- email supervisor

hope everyone had a good weekend :smile:

(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending