The Student Room Group

If I can still get into a good university

I’ve been really bad behaved up to the middle of year 9 I’ve had 2 suspensions and 3 isolations and I’ve just been thinking about it and I’m starting to get worried that this might impact me into getting into a good university such as Oxford or Cambridge
I mean provided you meet the academic requirements and your 6th form provides a positive reference then there's no reason it's not as likely as for anyone else..

That said, while a positive reference is generally a given unless you do something which involves an actual crime of some kind realistically, consistently having suspensions and isolations may be correlated with poorer academic outcomes perhaps. For example - you may miss a lot of content due to repeatedly having these kinds of isolations and suspensions. Equally, the activities leading to those punishments may be things that are leading you to miss things in class - if you're being suspended or isolated due to messing around in lessons, you are likely not going to be taking in the material being presented while you are focused on other things.

So maybe look at the root cause of why you're getting those kinds of punishments and see what personal behavioural changes you can affect to mitigate that, in order to maximise your chances of academic success and thus getting into somewhere like Oxbridge.
Original post by Adamweghjgvnjjj
I’ve been really bad behaved up to the middle of year 9 I’ve had 2 suspensions and 3 isolations and I’ve just been thinking about it and I’m starting to get worried that this might impact me into getting into a good university such as Oxford or Cambridge
it might, if your school is mean and writes those suspensions then yes it would but they won't.
you have a reference done by your teachers in a level, where they talk about you and extenuating circumstances and more, unless they write about it, its unlikely if anything 0.

what you need to do, is solve the root problem of behaviour and when it gets to yr 10 start taking your subjects a bit more serious, as if you're good from the start and get all 9s that will help for oxford, Cambridge is more holistic. point being, better your attitude and build good habits. you should worry more about uni in yr 11 and 12. anyways best of luck, hope you do make a comeback ( compared to your 7-9).

Quick Reply

Latest