The Student Room Group

Does anyone have any HUGE A-level comeback stories?

So my target grades (haven't got predicted grades yet) are AAA, but due to a load of problems (such as mental health issues) I had in the first few months of year 12, I put ZERO work in and have thus fallen behind and am now working at CDU. The fact that I've got a chemistry mock exam tmrw that I'm probably going to fail also doesn't help.

So I was just wondering if anyone has any academic comeback stories where they completely turned themselves around and managed to secure some solid grades.
Reply 1
Original post by dustyshelf221
So my target grades (haven't got predicted grades yet) are AAA, but due to a load of problems (such as mental health issues) I had in the first few months of year 12, I put ZERO work in and have thus fallen behind and am now working at CDU. The fact that I've got a chemistry mock exam tmrw that I'm probably going to fail also doesn't help.

So I was just wondering if anyone has any academic comeback stories where they completely turned themselves around and managed to secure some solid grades.
Listen up littlest bro, I was on CDD after January mocks in year 13, and I ended up with ABB.

You do have to bear in mind that not many people are like me, however.
Original post by mabdu
Listen up littlest bro, I was on CDD after January mocks in year 13, and I ended up with ABB.

What subjects did you do?
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 3
What subjects did you do?
Mathematics. Economics. Geography.
Reply 4

i'm pretty much in the same position and i'm not getting anywhere in chem. rn i'm on a ACU and i study psychology, bio and chem. i dont know how im supposed to turn my grade around in chem or what i'm gonna do if i dont. if theres anyone in year 13 that had a comeback that could tell me if it's even worth it to try this late in the year i'd appreciate it.
im in the same place as u, im predicted A*AA but id say im working at BCC tbh :/ im in y13 and do bio chem and maths hbu? i think just try to do at least a little bit each day, be consistent and it will all add up
Reply 6
Original post by c890
i'm pretty much in the same position and i'm not getting anywhere in chem. rn i'm on a ACU and i study psychology, bio and chem. i dont know how im supposed to turn my grade around in chem or what i'm gonna do if i dont. if theres anyone in year 13 that had a comeback that could tell me if it's even worth it to try this late in the year i'd appreciate it.

I turned my grades around from CDD to ABB by revising 12 hours a day in the easter holidays. Do not lack. People looked at me like I was crazy. I rose above. - mabdu
Original post by mabdu
I turned my grades around from CDD to ABB by revising 12 hours a day in the easter holidays. Do not lack. People looked at me like I was crazy. I rose above. - mabdu

am working at CC now and I need an AB, have started revising more in the last 2 days but i'm easily distracted and i get tired - to the point of my eyes shutting - very easily..but it should be okay, hopefully
Reply 8

jus lock tf in g
Reply 9
Original post by mabdu

ABB isn't a flex smallest bro
Reply 10
Original post by mabdu

mabdu bro stop capping 12 hours a day is no way near enough to get good grades like that big bro how did u actually do it bro pleaseeeeeeee xx
Reply 11
Original post by ermal
mabdu bro stop capping 12 hours a day is no way near enough to get good grades like that big bro how did u actually do it bro pleaseeeeeeee xx

Course coming soon. First come first serve. I'll reserve your spot teensy weensy bro.
Original post by c890

currently in year 13, i got a D in my end of year chemistry mock in year 12, now currently achieving A*s in my papers !! you most definitely can make a comeback, it’s about organising your revision well and staying consistent - don’t lose hope, you’ve got this !! 💓
Original post by aaliyahmk
currently in year 13, i got a D in my end of year chemistry mock in year 12, now currently achieving A*s in my papers !! you most definitely can make a comeback, it’s about organising your revision well and staying consistent - don’t lose hope, you’ve got this !! 💓
How do you revise chemsitry, like in terms of learnign content, and how did you learnt he calculations/titration questions/redox titration questions and inorganic espcially? Do you have any resources that you used or any videos on youtube, how many practice questions per topic do you tend to do
Original post by DrApple1
How do you revise chemsitry, like in terms of learnign content, and how did you learnt he calculations/titration questions/redox titration questions and inorganic espcially? Do you have any resources that you used or any videos on youtube, how many practice questions per topic do you tend to do

for content i use flashcards on Anki, but for inorganic topics i would recommend memorising and blurting the notes on chemrevise, if you remember those notes you’ll be getting really high marks on organic questions easily!

for calculations i start with basic questions using chemsheets then i do exam qs. my favourite youtubers for learning how to do these calculations is allery chemistry and machemguy - allery chemistry also has really great videos for explaining content.

resources i use: they have loads of topic specific exam qs !!

PMT

MME

study mind

i just do the questions on pmt but if i find that i need more practice i use the other resources - i would recommend doing loads and loads of exam qs for amount of substance, acids and bases, thermodynamics and equilibrium as they are topics that ALWAYS come up and often account for a lot of marks - esp if you’re doing AQA

hope this helps !!
Reply 15
do you have links for your anki???

Quick Reply

Latest