The Student Room Group

mature law student - Edinburgh vs Cambridge

I would like to pursue law as a mature student ...my options are as follows. 1.) Edinburgh law school 2.) Cambridge ( for the march round )....I personally like Edinburgh ( also no LNAT , increases the appeal ) . Then there's Cambridge ( which would be a wonderful feat, only it requires LNAT , not that am lazy, but am a serving bureaucrat with a demanding career, that gives me little time for anything othet than my job).I..the last date for applying to Edinburgh is 31st Jan and the last date for applying to Cambridge is March 8. I dont want to mess up the LNAT by giving the exam in a hurry. Can i apply twice through UCAS ? One application for Edinburgh and then another for Cambridge before March 8 ? Any insights are appreciated. Thanks in advance
Original post by Anonymous
I would like to pursue law as a mature student ...my options are as follows. 1.) Edinburgh law school 2.) Cambridge ( for the march round )....I personally like Edinburgh ( also no LNAT , increases the appeal ) . Then there's Cambridge ( which would be a wonderful feat, only it requires LNAT , not that am lazy, but am a serving bureaucrat with a demanding career, that gives me little time for anything othet than my job).I..the last date for applying to Edinburgh is 31st Jan and the last date for applying to Cambridge is March 8. I dont want to mess up the LNAT by giving the exam in a hurry. Can i apply twice through UCAS ? One application for Edinburgh and then another for Cambridge before March 8 ? Any insights are appreciated. Thanks in advance

May be so obvious that you've checked, but the Edinburgh course is a qualifying degree in England & Wales, and not Scottish law? I'm not sure how much these tests require hours of prep - other than STEP. - have you checked practice papers to estimate?
im sorry ...i didnt get that bit about qualifying degree in england and wales ..can you please elaborate. Also, the UCAS personnel says , i can add Cambridge after i submit my application , provided I didnt add all the five options and include the LNAT score ...
Original post by Harvey Specter!
im sorry ...i didnt get that bit about qualifying degree in england and wales ..can you please elaborate. Also, the UCAS personnel says , i can add Cambridge after i submit my application , provided I didnt add all the five options and include the LNAT score ...

Check with the legal folks in the Law forum, but to get a Law degree that allows you to progress into the profession, it needs to be a 'qualifying law degree' and you have to do specific, core modules. At English and Welsh universities, pretty much all degrees are qualifying, but you need to be aware of the requirement and take the necessary modules. Scottish Law is not the same as the Law in England & Wales. I think it might be possible to do a qualifying degree for England & Wales in Scotland, but you need to be certain before you apply.

tl:dr. A Scottish law degree might not qualify you to practice in England & Wales - make sure you check.
Okay… got it ! Thank you for taking the time to reply
did you ended up applying?
Original post by Anonymous
did you ended up applying?

Yes
I did I haven’t heard back yet
Original post by Harvey Specter!
Yes
I did I haven’t heard back yet

i am waiting for edinburgh too

Quick Reply

Latest