The Student Room Group

Second undergraduate in law at Cambridge?

I graduated last year from the university of Edinburgh with a good 2:1 (65%) in English lit and Classics. I have taken some time to really think where I want to go with my career and have ultimately decided to act on a long-standing interest in law.

I have considered conversion courses but I am not only interested in the career outcome of the degree but also the pure academic side. I am sincerely interested in studying law and want a good solid foundation in it. I’m not concerned about funding.

I understand Cambridge wants a good 2:1 minimum for a second undergraduate degree. But I know hitting the minimum requirements is far from guaranteeing a spot. I am applying in the march application round to a mature college. I got a recommendation from my head of department who I was fortunate to know quite well.

I am also applying to UCL, LSE, King’s, and QMUL, both the straight law degree and the law/French law integrated masters degrees.

I wanted to gauge some outside opinions on the chances of getting onto the Cambridge law degree, or really any of those I’ve applied for. Does it make a difference having a 2:1 from an RG uni versus a 1st from a non-RG uni? I did high school in the US and had a weighted GPA of 3.7, again scraping the entry requirements, or the barrier of what they accept usually. Not sure how much this matters but they did ask for my high school transcript as well as uni.
(edited 1 year ago)
what ended up happening?
Original post by theredsaint
I graduated last year from the university of Edinburgh with a good 2:1 (65%) in English lit and Classics. I have taken some time to really think where I want to go with my career and have ultimately decided to act on a long-standing interest in law.

I have considered conversion courses but I am not only interested in the career outcome of the degree but also the pure academic side. I am sincerely interested in studying law and want a good solid foundation in it. I’m not concerned about funding.

I understand Cambridge wants a good 2:1 minimum for a second undergraduate degree. But I know hitting the minimum requirements is far from guaranteeing a spot. I am applying in the march application round to a mature college. I got a recommendation from my head of department who I was fortunate to know quite well.

I am also applying to UCL, LSE, King’s, and QMUL, both the straight law degree and the law/French law integrated masters degrees.

I wanted to gauge some outside opinions on the chances of getting onto the Cambridge law degree, or really any of those I’ve applied for. Does it make a difference having a 2:1 from an RG uni versus a 1st from a non-RG uni? I did high school in the US and had a weighted GPA of 3.7, again scraping the entry requirements, or the barrier of what they accept usually. Not sure how much this matters but they did ask for my high school transcript as well as uni.

Did you go to London: LSE? UCL? KCL? QMUL?

Or did you get accepted by Cambridge University? 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending