The Student Room Group

carol ann duffy help! AGAIN! GRRRR I HATE HER

do you think there's a comic tone, serious tone or both and which poems, so far i got sad fro ann hathaway and mrs quasimodo

thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

oh come on, i know most of you have read it you evil bunch :frown:
Reply 2
Yeah, but nobody's here to do your work for you.
Reply 3
i hate carol ann duffy.
with a massive passion.
her poems are crap. end of story
cpj1987
Yeah, but nobody's here to do your work for you.

and when did i say you were? i asked for opinions not essays!, if you don't want to help don't post irrelevant comments
stephhhh
i hate carol ann duffy.
with a massive passion.

so true! why do we even have do her silly poems theres so many nice poems out there...
Reply 6
Mrs. Aesop. Mrs. Midas. Most of 'The World's Wife'.
Reply 7
depends on the poem , many use comedy to highlight more serious issues. Anne hatherways not sad (you made me dislodge 3 big piles of books on the floor to find my world's wife for this!!) It's more celebratory of the love they shared. The second best bed would have been anne h and wills love bed as guests were in the best bed. lots of sexual imagery 'verb dancing in the centre of a noun.' I think she's rembering fondly the love they shared.
Reply 8
stephhhh
i hate carol ann duffy.
with a massive passion.

Agree big time.
.Ed.
depends on the poem , many use comedy to highlight more serious issues. Anne hatherways not sad (you made me dislodge 3 big piles of books on the floor to find my world's wife for this!!) It's more celebratory of the love they shared. The second best bed would have been anne h and wills love bed as guests were in the best bed. lots of sexual imagery 'verb dancing in the centre of a noun.' I think she's rembering fondly the love they shared.

thanks your a star! the verb dancing, sexual imagery? how?
Reply 10
GoD, LiL MiSs cHeEkY yOu'Re So ChEeKy!!!!!!

i think you might need to elaborate a bit on just 'sad'. Have a google or something. or just try and look at key words and think of the connotations that go with them. I do have that book, i actually quite liked it and think she's a good poet although she does go on about lippy on pillows and that sort of stuff a bit much, so i can see why maybe she annoys you. nothing is very good to study tbh, a lot of life gets drained out of books when it's tried to be injected into syllabi.

anyway, you don't need to ask on here. have a bit more faith in yourself. what do u need it for?
Reply 11
LiL MiSs cHeEkY
thanks your a star! the verb dancing, sexual imagery? how?

It's never been all that clear to me but, verb as the male , inside the noun female.. male genitalia inside female genitalia...
.Ed.
It's never been all that clear to me but, verb as the male , inside the noun female.. male genitalia inside female genitalia...

hmm disturbing way to look at it. thanks for your help! xxx
halátnost
GoD, LiL MiSs cHeEkY yOu'Re So ChEeKy!!!!!!

:p:

essay im doing, i have wrote 2 pages but didn't seem enough so was just getting other ideas to add in.
Reply 14
just rememberd for good duffy notes. Go to teachit the english teachers website , find your way to a level poetry and you can print off notes on key poems.

http://www.teachit.co.uk/index.asp?CurrMenu=154&T=520
Reply 15
^ yep, it'll be perfect for the OP. It makes teaching and learning for AS so easy! What would we do without the internet eh..

Carol Ann Duffy rox my sox. I'm not exactly an expert but I've always liked her more mature poems. So what if she's a feminist lesbian?!
awww thanks darling! you're a life saver
Reply 17
from what i can remember my teacher telling me from them boring english lessons, anne hathaway was celebrating their love, she uses all them words like forests, clifftops and diving for pearls like they were inventive in their love making just like shakespeare was in his writing. She uses these erotic imagery to make the reader see the poem in a sexual sense.

I vaguely remember something about the guests dribbling how they are not having such a romantic or erotic encounter when shakespeare and anna are at it liek rabbits.

so its comical sorta, since its mocking the readers expectations when they said 2nd best bed making us think negative thoughts or something when in fact they are having the time of their lives.

thats all i can remember about that poem
.Ed.
just rememberd for good duffy notes. Go to teachit the english teachers website , find your way to a level poetry and you can print off notes on key poems.

http://www.teachit.co.uk/index.asp?CurrMenu=154&T=520

i found where you mean, but it says you need membership which im assuming you have to buy. or maybe its just my computer. can anyone copy & paste it onto here? these notes would be really helpful!
Reply 19
You need to click on the PDF document (red icon) rather than the word one, as you don't need a subscription for the pdf.

I can copy and paste if this dosn't work as they are saved on my computer ,but it would be a huge post.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending