The Student Room Group

Further maths a level

I’m in y11 and I scrape 9s in gcse, if I did fm I would be doing 3 subjects math fm physics I’m worried that it will be too much work but I’m not it too sure, and if I did fm I would want to get decent grade.
With 9s in your gcses, im sure you'll be fine. But a tip I will give is to make sure you dont leave a lot of your revision until the last minute, keep up revision throughout the whole two years and you'll find it a lot less stressful towards the end of your A-Levels
Reply 2
Original post by Jdjfudifjt
I’m in y11 and I scrape 9s in gcse, if I did fm I would be doing 3 subjects math fm physics I’m worried that it will be too much work but I’m not it too sure, and if I did fm I would want to get decent grade.

Without FM you will be doing 2 subjects?
if you're looking to go to university: maths/fm/physics is probably the most common combination of A-levels among those who want to do a maths degree at a very good university. Arguably it is less work than 3 unrelated A-levels because becoming confident with FM will help you become confident with normal maths.

The only downside is that it puts you on quite a specific path. (other possible degree choices being engineering, physics, computer science and so on)
Reply 4
Original post by Notnek
Without FM you will be doing 2 subjects?

No I will do economics
Reply 5
Original post by Jdjfudifjt

GCSE grades mean very little in the scale of A levels, if you enjoy maths then go for it. I didn't even do further maths at gcse and got A* in it at A level. It all just depends if you'd want 2 / 3 of your whole a levels to be maths and whether you won't get bored of it.
Reply 6
I enjoy maths I’ve already completed y1 pure of normal, but I’m scared I might be put off

Quick Reply

Latest