The Student Room Group

Applying for another university via UCAS while in my first year at Queen Mary

I am currently enrolled in my first year of neuroscience at Queen Mary, am really enjoying neuro but not the uni (because of how the program is taught mainly just using lectures and with little contact hours). I am looking to apply to other neuro courses elsewhere to start again from first year but am not sure how that works through UCAS.
I don't want to drop out of my studies, just finish first year and then restart somewhere else.
I need an end date for my current educational institution (QMUL) but I'm not sure if I need the end date of the whole course or the end date of the first year.
I'm looking at Warwick, Bristol and UCL so far (in that preferred order)
Has anyone reapplied while in first year before? If so I'd be very grateful to know how you did it.
Original post by miabovis
I am currently enrolled in my first year of neuroscience at Queen Mary, am really enjoying neuro but not the uni (because of how the program is taught mainly just using lectures and with little contact hours). I am looking to apply to other neuro courses elsewhere to start again from first year but am not sure how that works through UCAS.
I don't want to drop out of my studies, just finish first year and then restart somewhere else.
I need an end date for my current educational institution (QMUL) but I'm not sure if I need the end date of the whole course or the end date of the first year.
I'm looking at Warwick, Bristol and UCL so far (in that preferred order)
Has anyone reapplied while in first year before? If so I'd be very grateful to know how you did it.

For your end date put the date you would withdraw if you were sucessful in getting offers and decided to go elsewhere. It's not committing you to anything. You can stay enrolled, wait for offers and then decide later.

Most unis will want a reference from your current uni, so it may be worth having that conversation with your personal tutor. It may be bit awkward, but just explain that you are exploring your options and are not decided whether you will be leaving yet. It's a very routine request.

NB. You still need to submit an application by the end of Jan to guarantee to be considered.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
For your end date put the date you would withdraw if you were sucessful in getting offers and decided to go elsewhere. It's not committing you to anything. You can stay enrolled, wait for offers and then decide later.

Most unis will want a reference from your current uni, so it may be worth having that conversation with your personal tutor. It may be bit awkward, but just explain that you are exploring your options and are not decided whether you will be leaving yet. It's a very routine request.

NB. You still need to submit an application by the end of Jan to guarantee to be considered.

Thank you so much that’s so helpful!

I’ve spoken with my advisor and she’s offered to help me with a reference which is great.

Do you know if me being currently enrolled will detriment me at all? Or will I be considered equally? I achieved 2A*s and an A with bio chem and maths respectively but I understand there’s a lot more to it.
Original post by miabovis
Thank you so much that’s so helpful!

I’ve spoken with my advisor and she’s offered to help me with a reference which is great.

Do you know if me being currently enrolled will detriment me at all? Or will I be considered equally? I achieved 2A*s and an A with bio chem and maths respectively but I understand there’s a lot more to it.

In your situation the only detriment would be if you had poor results in your interim transcript from QMUL. Generally, being enrolled elsewhere is of no concern so long as you meet the normal entry requirements. It's just that unis might be interested in your current performance if you are applying for a similar/the same subject elsewhere.
You need to check whether other courses would teach the course any differently - most courses like neuroscience will be majority lecture based teaching

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending