The Student Room Group

What happens if I can't find a work placement in time?

I'm doing a level 2 course at college to train to be a teaching assistant, and I was meant to find a work placement within the first 6 weeks. The thing is, I am Autistic and I didn't realise there was a difference between doing a placement and doing a voluntary position, so the school I was working at rejected me when they found out it was meant to be a placement saying they weren't equipped to help me, and this was on the 6th week of the course and now I'm worried I'll be kicked off for something that wasn't entirely my fault due to my disability causing me to misunderstand an instruction, the college not making the instruction clear enough to me, and the tutors not double checking to make sure I had actually gotten a placement. I'm really stressed because no one has gotten back to me and I don't know if they'll be back at work before the 2 week break ends. I'm also worried that it's too late and no school will accept me because they're full or don't do placements. I really just want some reassurance that I'm not going to lose my place on this course, especially because of my disability causing these misunderstandings.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by JessFB
I'm doing a level 2 course at college to train to be a teaching assistant, and I was meant to find a work placement within the first 6 weeks. The thing is, I am Autistic and I didn't realise there was a difference between doing a placement and doing a voluntary position, so the school I was working at rejected me when they found out it was meant to be a placement saying they weren't equipped to help me, and this was on the 6th week of the course and now I'm worried I'll be kicked off for something that wasn't entirely my fault due to my disability causing me to misunderstand an instruction, the college not making the instruction clear enough to me, and the tutors not double checking to make sure I had actually gotten a placement. I'm really stressed because no one has gotten back to me and I don't know if they'll be back at work before the 2 week break ends. I'm also worried that it's too late and no school will accept me because they're full or don't do placements. I really just want some reassurance that I'm not going to lose my place on this course, especially because of my disability causing these misunderstandings.

Is there a way ur college could help you to find a placement? Or they could give u extra work to compensate for the experience if u can’t find it in time?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending