The Student Room Group

Having trouble with my A-Level decisions..

I take history, criminology and psychology, and i absolutely hate it. I chose A-levels thinking i’d be able to buckle down and be more academic but it really doesn’t work for me and i’ve built up to despise it. History is my worst subject, i’ve debated skipping the lessons they’re that bad but i don’t want to be excluded. The problem is, I’ve asked to drop my A levels completely and change my path to doing the Travel and Tourism college course next september, however they’re forcing me to stick out the year. I am behind on multiple history homework’s (which span a couple weeks back and are absolutely humongous) and was given a tight deadline over a WEEK to complete them otherwise i get ANOTHER disciplinary. But, i’m finding it really difficult to find it in me to pick up my college laptop and complete just ONE homework because i absolutely hate it and don’t see the point of doing the homework’s if i’m not going to be there next year. what do i do? i’m torn.
Reply 1
also, i have already been told multiple times to just complete the homework but my head of year isn’t giving me enough time to complete them. Some people could definitely get what i need to get done in that time, but for me i am an extreme procrastinator when it comes to doing things i do not enjoy, or don’t see the point in doing.
Am i making sense? like why do i need to do those pieces of homework if i’m not continuing on with my a levels anyway? and why should i keep going to college to begin with? i am doing a completely different course in september so i just think it’s unfair that i’m getting these disciplinaries when it all could be avoided if they let me drop out.
Original post by qviiera
I take history, criminology and psychology, and i absolutely hate it. I chose A-levels thinking i’d be able to buckle down and be more academic but it really doesn’t work for me and i’ve built up to despise it. History is my worst subject, i’ve debated skipping the lessons they’re that bad but i don’t want to be excluded. The problem is, I’ve asked to drop my A levels completely and change my path to doing the Travel and Tourism college course next september, however they’re forcing me to stick out the year. I am behind on multiple history homework’s (which span a couple weeks back and are absolutely humongous) and was given a tight deadline over a WEEK to complete them otherwise i get ANOTHER disciplinary. But, i’m finding it really difficult to find it in me to pick up my college laptop and complete just ONE homework because i absolutely hate it and don’t see the point of doing the homework’s if i’m not going to be there next year. what do i do? i’m torn.
Hi @qviiera

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time with your work. Is there no way to switch A Level subjects to something you might enjoy more?

It's frustrating that you have to complete work despite changing courses later on this year, but it is inevitable that you will also be receiving work to complete from your new course too. Even though you might feel more motivated to complete this work as you're more interested in the subject, you could use your current situation to your advantage - to practice getting yourself into a routine and working on your procrastination and time management.

I can understand it feels a bit pointless as you're not continuing your current subjects, but the skills you will develop from completing this academic year will undoubtedly help you with your next course. Plus, if you start getting into the swing of things with these subjects, you might enjoy your time more as you'll be less stressed about catching up and more involved in learning the content.

Hopefully this helps, and invest in yourself so you're ready to start fresh in September.
Best of luck. 🙂
Emily
Student Rep at BCU
Reply 3
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @qviiera

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time with your work. Is there no way to switch A Level subjects to something you might enjoy more?

It's frustrating that you have to complete work despite changing courses later on this year, but it is inevitable that you will also be receiving work to complete from your new course too. Even though you might feel more motivated to complete this work as you're more interested in the subject, you could use your current situation to your advantage - to practice getting yourself into a routine and working on your procrastination and time management.

I can understand it feels a bit pointless as you're not continuing your current subjects, but the skills you will develop from completing this academic year will undoubtedly help you with your next course. Plus, if you start getting into the swing of things with these subjects, you might enjoy your time more as you'll be less stressed about catching up and more involved in learning the content.

Hopefully this helps, and invest in yourself so you're ready to start fresh in September.
Best of luck. 🙂
Emily
Student Rep at BCU
Thank you for the response! You are very right in what you said, i may be more happy when i catch up, but there is a lot to catch up on, i’m talking weeks, weeks that college aren’t giving me. I’d love to say i finished the academic year despite hating it, i’m just seriously lacking motivation because of my hatred. Although i am getting through the homework’s regardless, my head of year and achievement coach don’t believe me, and just think i’m slacking, i’ve told them multiple times i’m not just sat letting the homework’s build up, i’m getting through them at a pace that’s right for me, but because i’m not able to meet their tight deadlines i’m getting disciplinaries for it. This is massively de-motivating me even more if i’m honest. But thank you Emily, i’m going to take your advice and just keep getting on with my past assignments and see what college has to say. :smile:
Original post by qviiera
also, i have already been told multiple times to just complete the homework but my head of year isn’t giving me enough time to complete them. Some people could definitely get what i need to get done in that time, but for me i am an extreme procrastinator when it comes to doing things i do not enjoy, or don’t see the point in doing.
Am i making sense? like why do i need to do those pieces of homework if i’m not continuing on with my a levels anyway? and why should i keep going to college to begin with? i am doing a completely different course in september so i just think it’s unfair that i’m getting these disciplinaries when it all could be avoided if they let me drop out.
Hey @qviiera!

I completely understand where you're coming from - it can seem silly to put a lot of work and effort into something that you both don't like and don't plan to continue with. At the end of the day, A-Levels aren't for everyone, and it's fantastic that you've both able to recognise that and change direction to something that works well for you.

The first thing I would try and do is speak to your teachers or Head of Year about how you're currently feeling. Although I can see why it would be tempting, dropping out of college/not attending for the next few months is probably not feasible, as if you're under 18 you're legally required to be in some form of education or training (even whilst work). In this case, it's best to work to with your teachers to try and come to some form of resolution. A lot of the time for me, I procrastinate because I let the work keep piling up until I get too overwhelmed by the amount of it to actually complete it - your teachers might be a bit more understanding if you honestly explain your situation to them.

However, as Emily said above, you could always view this time as a good way to develop study skills for the future, or even figure out ways to work on the way you approach deadlines. Maybe you can try and get a head start on some of the Travel & Tourism material for next year.

Have you talked to any friends/family about how you're feeling yet? What do they recommend?

Eve (Kingston Rep).
Original post by qviiera
Thank you for the response! You are very right in what you said, i may be more happy when i catch up, but there is a lot to catch up on, i’m talking weeks, weeks that college aren’t giving me. I’d love to say i finished the academic year despite hating it, i’m just seriously lacking motivation because of my hatred. Although i am getting through the homework’s regardless, my head of year and achievement coach don’t believe me, and just think i’m slacking, i’ve told them multiple times i’m not just sat letting the homework’s build up, i’m getting through them at a pace that’s right for me, but because i’m not able to meet their tight deadlines i’m getting disciplinaries for it. This is massively de-motivating me even more if i’m honest. But thank you Emily, i’m going to take your advice and just keep getting on with my past assignments and see what college has to say. :smile:
Hey @qviiera

It sounds pretty rough, especially as you know you're doing your best. Keep working towards your work, and I know it can be disappointing that your tutors are constantly on your back even though you're trying your best. You will know yourself whether you're working at your best, and keep putting in the hard work because it will start paying off.
Best of luck with your fresh start - it will come around soon!
Emily 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest