The Student Room Group

That student GYG :D (Chem vers)(+ dopamine detox)

Hi! This guy is purely focused on chemistry as chemistry is my weakest link haha. So far my journey has been slow and filled with procrastination. I’m applying for dental therapy and hygiene to either switch or do dentistry post grad! I’ll mainly be posting about chemistry successes and failures and my dopamine detox journey. Yup i know dopamine detoxing is a fad however depute that I think having no distractions and focusing on chemistry will (hopefully) make me motivated! I’m basing this on a video I watched here!
(∩`-´)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚ https://youtu.be/9QiE-M1LrZk?si=soNpiZAXIkqxJm0M
Currently I have *technically* finished the course (by finish I mean written notes and briefly gone over everything) but I haven’t memorised everything or done many past papers…..
Anyways currently I am going through old legacy ocr papers and memorising mod 3,5 and 6 with anki! I have a love and hate relationship with anki lol. By going through mean I was motivated 2 weeks ago and spent the last week laying in bed and doing the bare minimum of my anki reviews….
So far no offers and no rejections for my course which is tragic lol. But my course has around 10-20 spaces per uni so it’s to be expected!
As a finishing note today I am on day 0 of my dopamine detox and the boredom is killing me! So far not too motivated to work, but I’ve done 2 hrs so far!
Peace out -(๑☆‿ ☆#)ᕗ
Depending on how bothered I am this may be the first and last time I use colours and emoticons…..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd never heard of a dopamine detox before today, but honestly I so need to do it myself!

I'm crossing my fingers that you'll get an offer soon 🤞🤞🤞 and hey at least there are no rejections yet! Well done on starting your chem journey, I'm y12 and chem is definitely my hardest subject too, especially for revision.
Reply 2
Original post by MysticGalaxy
Hi! This guy is purely focused on chemistry as chemistry is my weakest link haha. So far my journey has been slow and filled with procrastination. I’m applying for dental therapy and hygiene to either switch or do dentistry post grad! I’ll mainly be posting about chemistry successes and failures and my dopamine detox journey. Yup i know dopamine detoxing is a fad however depute that I think having no distractions and focusing on chemistry will (hopefully) make me motivated! I’m basing this on a video I watched here!
(∩`-´)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚ https://youtu.be/9QiE-M1LrZk?si=soNpiZAXIkqxJm0M
Currently I have *technically* finished the course (by finish I mean written notes and briefly gone over everything) but I haven’t memorised everything or done many past papers…..
Anyways currently I am going through old legacy ocr papers and memorising mod 3,5 and 6 with anki! I have a love and hate relationship with anki lol. By going through mean I was motivated 2 weeks ago and spent the last week laying in bed and doing the bare minimum of my anki reviews….
So far no offers and no rejections for my course which is tragic lol. But my course has around 10-20 spaces per uni so it’s to be expected!
As a finishing note today I am on day 0 of my dopamine detox and the boredom is killing me! So far not too motivated to work, but I’ve done 2 hrs so far!
Peace out -(๑☆‿ ☆#)ᕗ
Depending on how bothered I am this may be the first and last time I use colours and emoticons…..

Chemistry... 🥰
Reply 3
Original post by study23!
I'd never heard of a dopamine detox before today, but honestly I so need to do it myself!

I'm crossing my fingers that you'll get an offer soon 🤞🤞🤞 and hey at least there are no rejections yet! Well done on starting your chem journey, I'm y12 and chem is definitely my hardest subject too, especially for revision.

Thank you so much! Yeah chem is so hard😭😭😭. Every day is a pain waiting for something just to get nothing! Honestly you have lots of time a head of you, as long as you can manage your time well you’ll be fine trust me!
Reply 4
Original post by Sakai04
Chemistry... 🥰

Teach me your ways because I wanna enjoy chem more 😭
Reply 5
Thank you so much! Yeah chem is so hard😭😭😭. Every day is a pain waiting for something just to get nothing! Honestly you have lots of time a head of you, as long as you can manage your time well you’ll be fine trust me!

Let’s hope! Here’s to us doing well in chem 🏆
Reply 6

Teach me your ways because I wanna enjoy chem more 😭

Knockhardy, chemguide and chemrevise
The golden trio for chem!!
What are you thinking of doing for uni? :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Sakai04

Tysm!! I’m doing dental therapy hopefully at kings or Liverpool fingers crossed! I actually want to either switch to dentistry which I can do in Liverpool iirc, or do post grad dentistry! I didn’t apply this year as I felt like my ucat wasn’t competitive enough, wbu?
Reply 8
30th Jan
UCAS deadline tomorrow! Good luck to everyone!
Unfortunately I went on some social media for about 5 minutes this morning, it’s funny because I don’t even remember how i got on it i just started scrolling haha. Did all my anki (flashcard) reviews at least! Getting round to doing new ones however…..is tough.
Evening
Welp. Turns out watching videos on topics is my new passion. Been watching ma chem guys vids whilst eating and whilst….anything really. His videos are good but I need to get round to doing past paper questions too :frown:. I’ve decided to do a twist on my dopamine detox, as even though it may be me being impatient, I told myself I should give myself more time then I realised we don’t have time because exams are coming(/(ᗒᗣᗕ)՞/), and even before exams I have mocks(٭(•﹏•)٭), [b]so I have decided to pair doing past paper exam questions with audiobook listening and that audiobook should be the only fun thing I do. yay.
Later in the evening
Ok so I’ve finally gotten round to learning some new chemistry things and im actually really enjoying it! Guess I just had to be patient with the detox haha!
See you guys tmr!
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Sakai04

Tysm!! I’m doing dental therapy hopefully at kings or Liverpool fingers crossed! I actually want to either switch to dentistry which I can do in Liverpool iirc, or do post grad dentistry! I didn’t apply this year as I felt like my ucat wasn’t competitive enough, wbu?

Oooh nice, hope your hard work pays off! I've applied chemistry 😇, looking forward to a lifetime of regretz
Reply 10
Original post by Sakai04

Oooh nice, hope your hard work pays off! I've applied chemistry 😇, looking forward to a lifetime of regretz
Thanks! lol but chem actually does sound amazing to study in uni, I’ve seen some vlogs featuring orgo chem briefly and it looked really cool! Good luck!
Reply 11

Thanks! lol but chem actually does sound amazing to study in uni, I’ve seen some vlogs featuring orgo chem briefly and it looked really cool! Good luck!

Thank uuu 🙂
Reply 12
31st of jan
You ik this entry is for yesterday but I didn’t do much except learn a wee bit more about carboxylic acid derivatives then sleep. It’s so weird that I'm just sleeping earlier thanks to my detox.
Started off this morning by listening to a carboxylic acid video. It’s only been 3 days so it’s weird I’m actually kind of enjoying learning now lol. Also watched a bit on Esters. Unfortunately anki still seems like kind of a bore ( ´థ,_‥థ`)

1st of February ☀(▀U ▀-͠)
New month new me….hopefully. Nah there is no hopefully it will because it has to with exams coming so soon 😭. My issue is I go to school, learn, do some Flashcards (by some I mean like 10 😭) watch a BUNCH of videos on the topic then sleep. And repeat. Idk why my dopamine detox isn’t boring me enough to do more. I may have to ban watching topic videos LOL. Even with the audiobook incentive my mind isn’t budging on doing PPQs. I’ve already made notes on all of topic 6 (except orgo synthesis) so I think I’ll only watch topic videos if I’m really stuck or if it’s before a lesson to freshen up. But from now on, it’s just Flashcards and PPQs. (つ﹏<。)
Evening
Turns out that all that topic video watching actually helped me in learning my new anki cards a lot and didn’t make it as painful as before lol. Ig i will include them just before my anki cards but nothing more. Also yess i was productive. Finally did PPQs and new Flashcards as you can tell, so im hoping feb is truly a new me!!!
ଘ꒰ ˃̶ ᵒ̴̶̷๑꒱و ̑̑
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 13
31st of jan
You ik this entry is for yesterday but I didn’t do much except learn a wee bit more about carboxylic acid derivatives then sleep. It’s so weird that I'm just sleeping earlier thanks to my detox.
Started off this morning by listening to a carboxylic acid video. It’s only been 3 days so it’s weird I’m actually kind of enjoying learning now lol. Also watched a bit on Esters. Unfortunately anki still seems like kind of a bore ( ´థ,_‥థ`)

1st of February ☀(▀U ▀-͠)
New month new me….hopefully. Nah there is no hopefully it will because it has to with exams coming so soon 😭. My issue is I go to school, learn, do some Flashcards (by some I mean like 10 😭) watch a BUNCH of videos on the topic then sleep. And repeat. Idk why my dopamine detox isn’t boring me enough to do more. I may have to ban watching topic videos LOL. Even with the audiobook incentive my mind isn’t budging on doing PPQs. I’ve already made notes on all of topic 6 (except orgo synthesis) so I think I’ll only watch topic videos if I’m really stuck or if it’s before a lesson to freshen up. But from now on, it’s just Flashcards and PPQs. (つ﹏<。)
Evening
Turns out that all that topic video watching actually helped me in learning my new anki cards a lot and didn’t make it as painful as before lol. Ig i will include them just before my anki cards but nothing more. Also yess i was productive. Finally did PPQs and new Flashcards as you can tell, so im hoping feb is truly a new me!!!
ଘ꒰ ˃̶ ᵒ̴̶̷๑꒱و ̑̑

WHOOOOO
Reply 14
Original post by Sakai04
WHOOOOO

Yesss I’m so gassed!!🥳
Reply 15

Yesss I’m so gassed!!🥳

I'm dying from mocks 😭 but so happy for you asw
Reply 16
Original post by Sakai04
I'm dying from mocks 😭 but so happy for you asw

Mocs actually killed me esp as we had them straight after Christmas 😭😭. Gll with the rest of yours!!
Reply 17
2nd of feb
[start]Off to a good start today. Started by watching videos on the reactions of acyl chlorides, whilst eating breakfast. It’s risky as everyone knows listening to something with words whilst learning new things is scientifically less effective than music with no words, and I personally wouldn’t do it if exams weren’t so soon and I hadn’t watched in depth videos on the topics beforehand but I did old and new anki cards whilst listening to an audiobook. I’ve figured it’s either I do them slowly or I don’t do them at all and procrastinate so for the time being this is my new method. Now all that is left is to do past paper questions, as I think I said in my original post. I'm doing the old spec first then I’ll do the new spec as exams come closer. Honestly my dopamine detox has made my productivity levels amazing and I’m also not feeling burnt out as I am slightly enjoying it. Still waiting for a reply from any uni. One of my safety’s said 2 weeks ago they’ll send me an offer or rejection in 1 week, but if it’s 2 weeks then we should call. Technically it’s been 13 days since they said this on a Saturday but I doubt their phone line will be open so I’ll call them today and hopefully get an answer of sort. Interviews for my course tend to be in March so from today I’m going to do interview prep in the evening…… considering my course only takes 10-20 students per uni I may not even get any interviews haha…. I guess I’ll see.[/start]
[start]Evening [/start]
[start]I called my safety and they basically said ‘we lied 🤪’ so fun times 😭. Imma still have to wait some more… at least I was productive!ヾ(●ω●)ノ[/start]
Reply 18

Mocs actually killed me esp as we had them straight after Christmas 😭😭. Gll with the rest of yours!!

Finished today!! Did questionable 🥰
I wouldn't stress too much about offers, try your best and see how life leads u!!
Hope you get into the course you dream of!
Reply 19
Original post by Sakai04
Finished today!! Did questionable 🥰
I wouldn't stress too much about offers, try your best and see how life leads u!!
Hope you get into the course you dream of!

Yess well done for finishing🥳! Yh I’ll try not to let offers stress me too much,😭 hope you get into your dream course as well 🥰

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending