The Student Room Group

Should I take art or economics a level??

In Short, I want to do art more but economics seems like the smarter option. I like art a lottt even at GCSE I don’t mind it, but I’m scared I won’t have any free time or time for my other subjects (English lang and psychology) if I pick it. I’m also worried that I might start disliking art as a whole and lose my passion because of having to do it with school.

I originally was deciding between business or art, but I’ve heard economics is a more in depth business, so now I’m considering that instead. It seems to be the safer option for a secure future and I am kind of interested in it, but definitely not as much as art.

Also, I’m planning to bike it to my college- around 18 minute ride- so I don’t want to be lugging around a massive sketchbook everyday with me (if I only had to take it like once a week I’d just take the bus that day, so lmk how often I’d have to). Anyway, thats my rambly list of thoughts, I’d love some input into what I should choose because I’m seriously stuck.
Original post by Malwinafudala
In Short, I want to do art more but economics seems like the smarter option. I like art a lottt even at GCSE I don’t mind it, but I’m scared I won’t have any free time or time for my other subjects (English lang and psychology) if I pick it. I’m also worried that I might start disliking art as a whole and lose my passion because of having to do it with school.

I originally was deciding between business or art, but I’ve heard economics is a more in depth business, so now I’m considering that instead. It seems to be the safer option for a secure future and I am kind of interested in it, but definitely not as much as art.

Also, I’m planning to bike it to my college- around 18 minute ride- so I don’t want to be lugging around a massive sketchbook everyday with me (if I only had to take it like once a week I’d just take the bus that day, so lmk how often I’d have to). Anyway, thats my rambly list of thoughts, I’d love some input into what I should choose because I’m seriously stuck.

Art is nothing like GCSE, it’s literally a version of english literature with all the writing and analysing you have to do about your work. Each artist can be about 10 pages of witting analysing etc. It is incredibly time consuming, in second year I have barely left my house as i’ve been pushing on with my project worth 60% of my grade, which I’ve just handed in. You’d be having to bring your art book every single time you have a lesson as lessons are dedicated to physical doing and/or writing within the book.

On economics, it’s very challenging and very mathematical. If maths is a strong point for you this should be ok. Economics is pretty much business but with a lot more content as it isn’t so much centred around just business structures.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2

I do Art - I have to do 20 hours of extra time per week, and with my other subjects I generally just feel burnt out all the time and it’s honestly drained my passion. It’s extremely hard to understand the marking grid and get a good grade and if you’re biking it will be difficult to bring your sketchbook since you will need to bring it home to work every day. I do Art and Design which also means I have to bring in very large pieces as they encourage you to work A1 or larger (impossible on a bike unless you roll it up.)

I’m not the best at STEM subjects but Economics sounds cool! If your school offers Graphics or BTEC art you could consider doing that instead (same amount as an A-level and less work). If you do decide to go into art, a foundation year before uni could be something to consider. It’s free and you get much more freedom to work around what you want to work around and you don’t have to worry so much about grades.
Reply 3
Original post by greentiger
Art is nothing like GCSE, it’s literally a version of english literature with all the writing and analysing you have to do about your work. Each artist can be about 10 pages of witting analysing etc. It is incredibly time consuming, in second year I have barely left my house as i’ve been pushing on with my project worth 60% of my grade, which I’ve just handed in. You’d be having to bring your art book every single time you have a lesson as lessons are dedicated to physical doing and/or writing within the book.

On economics, it’s very challenging and very mathematical. If maths is a strong point for you this should be ok. Economics is pretty much business but with a lot more content as it isn’t so much centred around just business structures.

Thank you for the replyyy! I don’t particularly mind it being like English lit because I like that too, but if it’s that time consuming then idk 😭 And as for bringing the book, I meant more like, would I have to take it home all the time? Because if I could leave it at school for most of the week and take it home over the weekends or something then I wouldn’t have to carry it all that much.

With economics, I’m not particularly amazing at maths, but I do get 7s usually. Would it be too maths based for me? Sorry for the questions!
Reply 4
Original post by waffelton
I do Art - I have to do 20 hours of extra time per week, and with my other subjects I generally just feel burnt out all the time and it’s honestly drained my passion. It’s extremely hard to understand the marking grid and get a good grade and if you’re biking it will be difficult to bring your sketchbook since you will need to bring it home to work every day. I do Art and Design which also means I have to bring in very large pieces as they encourage you to work A1 or larger (impossible on a bike unless you roll it up.)

I’m not the best at STEM subjects but Economics sounds cool! If your school offers Graphics or BTEC art you could consider doing that instead (same amount as an A-level and less work). If you do decide to go into art, a foundation year before uni could be something to consider. It’s free and you get much more freedom to work around what you want to work around and you don’t have to worry so much about grades.

Thank you! Thats really helpful, I haven’t thought about btec or graphics but I’ll definitely consider now!!
Thank you for the replyyy! I don’t particularly mind it being like English lit because I like that too, but if it’s that time consuming then idk 😭 And as for bringing the book, I meant more like, would I have to take it home all the time? Because if I could leave it at school for most of the week and take it home over the weekends or something then I wouldn’t have to carry it all that much.

With economics, I’m not particularly amazing at maths, but I do get 7s usually. Would it be too maths based for me? Sorry for the questions!

Yes you’d be taking the book with you constantly, you have to do at least 10 hours i’d say a week out of lesson on your workbook as it’s just simply not doable to get all the content done in one lesson.

I’m not sure what your college offers but other good options are media, film, graphics and photography. Graphics and photography are a little easier as it’s a mixture of physical and digital, and you can work from a computer typing instead of a heavy art book, but they are still very time consuming all the same.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest